Re: Cash for clunkers...the final installment perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwood View Post
The metropolis of Kiel
good one
Old 09-02-2009, 06:28 AM

Registered SVX

I lived in SheVegas for a bit some years ago but the freaks scared me out, no offense of course
89 Yamaha FZR600
Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post

I hope the idiot who traded it in for CFC gets their new Kia repo'd after a month. Jerk.... look how nice the headlight lenses are....

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:

Want an asshat.. that car looks to be in generally great shape.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 PM

That car should magically end up stolen between the dealer and the crusher.

I am not a lawless man, but when the law becomes immoral, a moral man has little recourse.

The government stole the money for it from the taxpayers, anyway. One case where a second wrong might actually make a right.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

The hard bit of this is the balance between what's financially sane and what we consider to be ethically right.

Clunk it, part it out, or sell it at a vicious loss? Some people get stuck, I guess.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

but clunking it results in more debt so that doesn't solve anything

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM

What loss?

Resale is resale, even if it is low. It sucks, but it is market driven.

Seizing tax money to pay leveraged government debt, with interest, is not ethically right.

Using that money to BRIBE people to buy newer cars is not morally right. Robbing peter to pay paul, via stanley is still robbing peter.

Crushing viable cars is insane, and should never have been codified into the law. Those vehicles may have low value monetarily, but they are still worth something to someone. It is probably worth more than simply scrap value, even if it isn't 4500$.

Comparing perhaps 2000-3500$ resale value for that video'd SVX, to a 4500 bribe is not a loss. The bribe shouldn't have happened in the first place, and the vehicle should not be crushed, but should have been put on the market for trade in, and then re-sold to someone else. That mechanism has been in operation, economically longer than cars have been around, and it is sound economics, for the most part.

Financially SANE???????????????

How is acruing a boat-load more debt for a new car financially sane, when that SVX was probably operating as a paid-off drivable vehicle? Either someone can afford a new car or not. Taking tax money away from some to convince others that they should buy a new car, when they now are driving a clunker, is not sane.

That car was not in part-out condition, and if it were, it would not have been elligible for C4C. They had to be running vehicles, before the dealers permanently put them down.

Again, if the person who owned that SVX needed another car, or wanted one... the mechanism exists. RESALE. TRADE IN. and buy a "financially sane" car that they can afford, even if it isn't new.

STEALING my money through taxes to bribe that person means that I can afford less. Means that I can't afford to buy another SVX that is in better condition than mine. It means I can't afford to restore mine, nor buy a different vehicle, or any number of other discretionary spending, that aggregated with other people, would bolster consumer spending, rather than government wastefulness.

There is no balance. C4C was stupid, and completely unbalanced, and had no moral or ethical grounds whatsoever.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 09-02-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
I hope the idiot who traded it in for CFC gets their new Kia repo'd after a month. Jerk.... look how nice the headlight lenses are....
It takes about four months to get a KIA repossessed. That'll happen.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
[A bunch of valid points.]
Well, yes, but don't hop on the defensive so quickly. You're putting words in my mouth.

Every story has two sides, and obviously there are people who see each side.

A person who's trying to unload their SVX who can grab $4500 in a clunk rather than continually dropping their price (and NOT every SVX owner is on this forum!) could be considering the difference between a $1000 desperation sale and $4500 in his wallet. That's a difference of $3500, and to pitch that aside is not financially sane unless you light your cigars with C-notes.

The car in the video surely didn't seem in clunkable form, but if the engine and trans are on their last legs (and you should hear my engine today - see my thread) then maybe it was?

I don't want to see an SVX parted or clunked any more than you do, nor anyone else here. The bottom line is, people will have their own reasons for what they do, and if you could pick your evils, you're more than likely choosing between watching people part or clunk SVXi that they can't sell without losing a fistful of change in the process of getting rid of them.

I think CfC is crap as well, and I've had plenty of debates about it with people outside of this forum. I'm prepared to see the sales slump that will follow, offering CfC to be a whoop-dee-doo parade of the moment.

All I was saying is, with all the downplay we have had on parting out, clunking seems like the worse of the evils.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well, yes, but don't hop on the defensive so quickly. You're putting words in my mouth.

Every story has two sides, and obviously there are people who see each side.

A person who's trying to unload their SVX who can grab $4500 in a clunk rather than continually dropping their price (and NOT every SVX owner is on this forum!) could be considering the difference between a $1000 desperation sale and $4500 in his wallet. That's a difference of $3500, and to pitch that aside is not financially sane unless you light your cigars with C-notes.

The car in the video surely didn't seem in clunkable form, but if the engine and trans are on their last legs (and you should hear my engine today - see my thread) then maybe it was?

I don't want to see an SVX parted or clunked any more than you do, nor anyone else here. The bottom line is, people will have their own reasons for what they do, and if you could pick your evils, you're more than likely choosing between watching people part or clunk SVXi that they can't sell without losing a fistful of change in the process of getting rid of them.

I think CfC is crap as well, and I've had plenty of debates about it with people outside of this forum. I'm prepared to see the sales slump that will follow, offering CfC to be a whoop-dee-doo parade of the moment.

All I was saying is, with all the downplay we have had on parting out, clunking seems like the worse of the evils.
I know this has been said before, but...........

Even if they got ZILCH for their car on a trade in, if they bought a car only ONE year old, they would save a considerable amount, in many cases, MORE than the $4500.00 bribe.

And I bet a one year old car would get better gas mileage than their "clunker". But even if it didn't, they could still buy it; no one could tell them which car they could buy.

/end rant/

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Yes this program is designed to get you to buy s##t you can't really afford. It was done under the whole "green" thing that's such a hot button topic these days because of all the do-gooders. Most of these loans will become toxic in the coming years. A slue of repositions will follow. Isn't it funny?..bad loans..that's how we got in the trouble we are in today.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady View Post
Even if they got ZILCH for their car on a trade in, if they bought a car only ONE year old, they would save a considerable amount, in many cases, MORE than the $4500.00 bribe.
This is understood, accepted, and practiced; my last four cars averaged 5.5 years old - none new.

Can I make it clear that I don't necessarily agree with any of the decisions or rationale of people who capitalize on the CfC program?

Here... Here's my hypothetical question, surrounding a fictional but very possible person:

"Oh, hi, I'm some random guy who's not on the forum and you've never met me but here I am with my SVX. I've tried to sell the car through the means that I am familiar with, to no avail. I've decided that I'm going to either part it out or cash in on the CfC program."

If this unfortunate soul gave you the power to choose his path exclusively of those two choices, would you choose clunk over part out?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: