How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-13-2002, 12:31 AM
tober76b

i've regretfully joined the ranks

at 124K, my transmission finally gave out......my paranoia was founded after all. heh.
it should be back up and running on wednesday--according to the transmission shop--for a total of $2700 (which includes redline synthethic ATF, synthethic in the rear, and the flatbed tow there).
from what i've heard here on this site, it appears that i've stumbled upon a decent price.
with the powersteering leak and belt replacement a few weeks back, that makes my grand total in the past month $2900....yikes. it's a good thing that a VISA and then the following 0% interest balance transfer are available. on the bright side, i'll now have a 12 month warranty on the trans...equaling peace of mind for another year.
next month comes the new tires, oil change, and SMOG certification....wish me luck.
anyway, just thought i'd share.
toby
Old 05-13-2002, 12:34 AM
tober76b

all of that said....
i still like my SVX....it's just gotten a bit more expensive recently.
toby
Old 05-13-2002, 10:23 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: i've regretfully joined the ranks

Quote:
Originally posted by tober76b
at 124K, my transmission finally gave out......my paranoia was founded after all. heh.
it should be back up and running on wednesday--according to the transmission shop--for a total of $2700 (which includes redline synthethic ATF, synthethic in the rear, and the flatbed tow there).
from what i've heard here on this site, it appears that i've stumbled upon a decent price.
with the powersteering leak and belt replacement a few weeks back, that makes my grand total in the past month $2900....yikes. it's a good thing that a VISA and then the following 0% interest balance transfer are available. on the bright side, i'll now have a 12 month warranty on the trans...equaling peace of mind for another year.
next month comes the new tires, oil change, and SMOG certification....wish me luck.
anyway, just thought i'd share.
toby
Toby,
You've gotten an excellent price. 2,900.00 for both services makes it even sweeter. That's less than most of us pay for the tranny work alone. You've done good. Oh, and welcome to the "club." At least you didn't find out it was a Legacy tranny.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-13-2002, 01:56 PM
Lowered SVX

it is easy to spend money on this car.

i have spend over $10000 on this car since i bought it in 94. that includes some wheels, suspension, and exhaust mods......but a lot of maintenance too.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 05-13-2002, 02:38 PM
tober76b

Re: Re: i've regretfully joined the ranks

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Toby,
You've gotten an excellent price. 2,900.00 for both services makes it even sweeter. That's less than most of us pay for the tranny work alone. You've done good. Oh, and welcome to the "club." At least you didn't find out it was a Legacy tranny.
i appreciate the confirmation that i've got a great price. it eases the magnitude a bit.
what i'm worried about is...are they going to try to put a legacy tranny in?
the trans shop was referred to me by my mechanic--he's trustworthy and does high quality work so I don't imagine he send me to a shop that wasn't up to his standards.
i'll let you know how it drives after the install.
toby
Old 05-15-2002, 07:22 PM
tober76b

delay...go figure

just got a call from the trans shop....they're waiting on parts from subaru (they didn't give him an estimated time of arrival). it was supposed to be done today....whatever. he said that i shouldn't get my hopes up for this weekend. looks like i'll be renting a car. i'm going to go ahead an assume that i won't get it back by next weekend either....although i figured that it wouldn't get done on time...i'm still pissed that i won't have my car for an undisclosed amount of time.
toby
Old 05-15-2002, 09:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: delay...go figure

Quote:
Originally posted by tober76b
just got a call from the trans shop....they're waiting on parts from subaru (they didn't give him an estimated time of arrival). it was supposed to be done today....whatever. he said that i shouldn't get my hopes up for this weekend. looks like i'll be renting a car. i'm going to go ahead an assume that i won't get it back by next weekend either....although i figured that it wouldn't get done on time...i'm still pissed that i won't have my car for an undisclosed amount of time.
toby
Toby. Take it from someone who's learned a lesson. Buy a junker that'll get you around for about 500 bucks. Last time I rented a car (17 days) it cost me over 900.00 bucks. I could've bought a junker for that, fixed it up a little and sold it for more than I bought it for, later. Sheesh. I feel your pain.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI