Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I know that the Koni's are starting to leak... but they are covered by warranty. Wouldn't it be a better buy to stick with Koni's that have a lifetime warranty to use in that kind of coilover setup? That way people wouldn't have to worry about having to buy new cartridges later down the line.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
This is good! My 15 year old stock suspension is unhappy and very sloppy. I'm definitely in.

1. Stevebsy
2. Mission
3. SVXMAN2001
4. SVXRide
5.SVXBart
6.Crazy_Pilot
etc.

1/5th of the way there!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 06-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
I know that the Koni's are starting to leak... but they are covered by warranty. Wouldn't it be a better buy to stick with Koni's that have a lifetime warranty to use in that kind of coilover setup? That way people wouldn't have to worry about having to buy new cartridges later down the line.

Shocks like these (or at least what I'm ASSuming these are) are easily rebuildable, by either the manufacturer, or sometimes the end user. Typically re building can be done for around 50$ a corner, and if the are a reputable shock, will offer much better performance, and adjustability. plus the pillowball mounts will offer easy camber adjustments, as well as possibly castor.

Also, Koni's are said to have a similar lifespan, and should be rebuilt every 2-3 years or so as well.

Questions I would have would be:

Inverted Monotube design?
Whose shock internals do they use?
would shock dynoing be an option for those buying them/could the present some shock dyno data for their shock on a different application?

Is it Megan Racing?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-27-2007, 05:36 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Answers to questions:

*Cost to replace worn struts: $75/strut (includes only the strut body which is the main wear item)
*Replacing worn out struts: The manufacturer takes your credit card info and sends out a replacement strut body. If you return your worn out strut body within two weeks of receipt of the new body, the $75 cost applies. After two weeks, they charge as if it was a new strut body.
*They do not weep oil until they are worn out.
*Shock design: monotube
*Shock internals: their own
*Shock dyno data: none provided, but a prototype set would be built, evaluated on someone's car, and fine tuned prior to going into full production.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Got me.

1. Stevebsy
2. Mission
3. SVXMAN2001
4. SVXRide
5.SVXBart
6.Crazy_Pilot
7. Sov13t
etc.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

I'm on the fence my friend. Depends what Koni does next with the set I've set for evaluation that have been leaking. I think I know the maker and if so I've heard good things about their products.

Todd
Old 06-30-2007, 07:42 AM
sans SVX

I heard you were looking at some DAs. It would be good if one of us could work out a solution.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

I know how to contain the inserts in our housing and have the parts on hand, I just need to pick the insert and drop major coin for them. I need to confirm if Koni intends to repair my inserts under warranty or not before I give them any more business.

Todd
Old 06-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Frequent User

Tein? Eibach? H&R?
Old 07-01-2007, 07:21 PM
sans SVX

ok folks, I don't see any point in holding back any longer on the manufacturer. Its Megan Racing. They have been making a name for themselves for the past four years making inexpensive but good quality aftermarket parts for import sports cars. They are able to keep their pricing down by having all the fab work done in Taiwan or China. They currently make coilovers for a pretty wide range of cars. The street series coilovers would be the most appropriate for the widest range of SVXers because the damping is tuned for a spring rate more appropriate for the street, but they can still handle track duty and a somewhat higher spring rate for the competitors out there. A pic of what they would look like is shown below. If you want to see what range of cars they currently cover, here is the street series webpage:

http://www.meganracing.com/products/...e.asp?catid=93

Visit my locker

Old 07-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
ok folks, I don't see any point in holding back any longer on the manufacturer. Its Megan Racing. They have been making a name for themselves for the past four years making inexpensive but good quality aftermarket parts for import sports cars. They are able to keep their pricing down by having all the fab work done in Taiwan or China. They currently make coilovers for a pretty wide range of cars. The street series coilovers would be the most appropriate for the widest range of SVXers because the damping is tuned for a spring rate more appropriate for the street, but they can still handle track duty and a somewhat higher spring rate for the competitors out there. A pic of what they would look like is shown below. If you want to see what range of cars they currently cover, here is the street series webpage:

http://www.meganracing.com/products/...e.asp?catid=93

Very nice Mychalio. I maybe interested in a set but will let you know as the numbers grow. I should be removing my set of Koni/GC's for inspection and will need another set to use if I have to send them back to Koni.

I've always wanted to try your springs but like Todd, I hacked off the spring perches so that was impossible. This should be a nice alternative. I will be monitoring the status of the group buy and they do look like very nice bolt-in's.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Question Sway Bars??

Are sway bars available as well? Front / Rear??

I'm very interested

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I win!

I'm going through a lot of suspension research right now, so it just kind of sounded a lot like Megan Racing.

I've heard good things from everyone who has them, but i'm still hesitant.

See if you could demand shock dyno data, because even a baseline would be good to know. IE: what kind of adjustment range do they have, what kind of force curve does their valving produce, and are they linear, digressive etc.

I'm still undecided between something like the MR coilovers and a Koni/truechoice/hypercoil coilover setup for my track car.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 07-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The must have reinforced sway bar end link mounting hardware
-Bill (having had to reweld the hardware on both front struts and then add a tab to the driver's side hardware after the top tore out of it )

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 AM
sans SVX

Remember, this is all just idle discussion until we reach 30 buyers. Long ways to go. :-(

Visit my locker