How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-26-2002, 04:24 PM
jbarber

OT - '93 Legacy opinions?

One of my sons is graduating from high school, and needs a car. We looked at a '93 Legacy sedan today. 4-cylinder automatic, A/C. I don't know if it's a L-model or what, but the cloth interior has me suspecting so.

What worries me is the automatic. Does anyone know if it's the same 4EAT used in the SVX's, and if so, is the service record as poor in the Legacy? I'll tolerate that in the SVX, but not in a 'driver' for my kid..

Thanks,
--jim
Old 04-26-2002, 05:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: OT - '93 Legacy opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by jbarber
One of my sons is graduating from high school, and needs a car. We looked at a '93 Legacy sedan today. 4-cylinder automatic, A/C. I don't know if it's a L-model or what, but the cloth interior has me suspecting so.

What worries me is the automatic. Does anyone know if it's the same 4EAT used in the SVX's, and if so, is the service record as poor in the Legacy? I'll tolerate that in the SVX, but not in a 'driver' for my kid..

Thanks,
--jim
The transmission in the Legacy is pretty much the same thing. The SVX's is beefed up a little to handle the additional torque, but as I understand it, it's pretty much the same thing.

But it's not the 4EAT which is troublesome - it's the application of the transmission in the SVX. It simply isn't cooled adequately. Since this isn't as much of a problem in the Legacy, they fail far less frequently.

My wife drives a 1990 Legacy wagon which was abused seriously by an unknown number of previous owners. The transmission is original and, while the 2-3 shift takes a little time in the cold, still works just fine after 136kmiles.

Check the transmission fluid. If it smells burned, then the transmission was subjected to high temperatures and may be damaged. Or it may not be.

Also pay attention to how the car shifts under all kinds of conditions. Under light throttle (and therefore low line pressure) is where you'll see problems if there are any.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-26-2002, 05:52 PM
jbarber

Mr. Pockets,

Thanks. I've just about decided to pass on this particular car, but the info is useful. AWD or 4WD is just about mandatory living on this mountain, (unless you have a thing for chains..) so we'll be looking at other Subarus.

It's ironic, really. My family had TERRIBLE (truly rotten!) luck with Subarus in the 80's, but I guess I'm giving the the 90's and later models a chance.

--jim
Old 04-26-2002, 11:46 PM
punisher

If you're looking for a Legacy, get a 97 GT model. We're at well over 112k and it still kicks like bruce lee. Truly a great vehicle.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:21 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by punisher
If you're looking for a Legacy, get a 97 GT model. We're at well over 112k and it still kicks like bruce lee. Truly a great vehicle.
Actually, the pre-99 has the ej25 dohc engine... subaru's worst engine ever. Pre 99 2.5 GT's should be avoided.

-Mike
Old 04-27-2002, 12:26 AM
SVXDriver

Mike is right. The 2.5L DOHC aka EJ25 Phase I engines are the worst engines that Subaru has ever made.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:38 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
get an impreza
they are overall better than the legacy's
the legacy's are too big for their own good, the same wimpy power, and a car way too heavy is not good, get an L coupe or sedan, or even an obs wagon (what i drive) decent pickup, but not too mucht hat he'll get into a wreck or anything. handles superbly,
i take mine offroad a bit, if you're into that it'll take a good bit of abuse, if you don't mind cosmetic things like paint scuffs from branches etc
Old 04-27-2002, 08:20 AM

Question

Quote:
The 2.5L DOHC aka EJ25 Phase I engines are the worst engines that Subaru has ever made.
Okay, somebody educate me here. Why do a couple of you say this? I'm genuinely interested in what's up.

'02 Toyota MR2 Spyder

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)
Old 04-27-2002, 10:27 AM
punisher

Lemmings

<<Mike is right. The 2.5L DOHC aka EJ25 Phase I engines are the worst engines that Subaru has ever made.>>

Well I dunno what to tell you. Own one and then 'evaluate' it yourself, dont just spit back info that you've read. At 80k the water pump needed replaced....at 110k the head gasget blew. That's about all the problems the engine has had. So in 6 years of ownership, the engine has needed about 2 grand in repairs, aside from normal maintainence. The transmission (an automatic) is wonderful. The power is wonderful. I'm the first out at red lights. And the AWD is the selling feature. The car is higher than the SVX, and thus better equiped to deal with heavier snow. Although the SVX does weigh more, which some will say increases traction. But why would you want an older legacy anyay?? The pre 97 legacies are too 'plain' looking for my taste. And I do like the imprezza...but the pre WRX models just seem like they're trying to be something they're not. Atleast the legacy doesn't try too hard to look like a rally car. The thing I hate most about prewrx imprezzas is that stupid spoiler - way too goofy looking for such a little car.

Last edited by punisher; 04-27-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:01 PM
SVXDriver

punisher,

Just because you have spent only $2k that it is a good motor. Most people have problems with this motor. I know because I have friends that have it and constanly go in for repairs and they are tired of it. I have friends that have their gasket seal replaced like 3 times. I do not need to own an Impreza to know if it is a good motor or not. I trust what my friends tell me because they are enthusiasts like me. I driven both the 2.5L Phase I and I have the 2.5L Phase II in my Legacy right now and there is a difference between the two motors besides the DOHC and SOHC. I think that you just need to accept the fact that the 2.5L Phase I is just a crap motor.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:19 PM

Okay, let's settle down a bit. I'm still curious.

Now, I know that the SOHC engine is better than the DOHC. I don't have a problem with that. Subaru doesn't really show a discernable HP or Torque difference between the motors, but the SOHC is noticeably better. Whether that is because it revs a little faster, or has more torque, I don't know. Obviously, the company (Subaru) has come out with an improved version of the 2.5L engine. That's a normal progression of things. And yes, I've heard of some head gasket problems, and some piston slap problems, but not huge numbers. Definitely not enough to consider the engine crap.

The Impreza's got the SOHC engine starting in MY99, the Legacy's didn't get it until MY00.

The Impreza, Legacy, and SVX are three very different cars. I don't really see much of a reason to start bashing other models. People buy different cars for different reasons. I'd like one of each, to suit my mood for the day.

The original question was mainly in regards to the 4EAT in the 93 model Legacy. My daughter drives a '90 Legacy, 2wd, Auto, and we've had no trouble with the tranny. It's got about 140k miles on it. But I didn't answer because I felt like the difference between a '90 model 2wd and a 93 model AWD was probably big enough to discount the comparison.

I've only got 53k on my 98 Legacy GT, so I may be in for trouble ahead, according to you guys. I can always buy a new car, if I need to, but I've decided I like this one just fine. I would really like a WRX, but I've avoided even driving one just because I'd want it so bad. So... I am genuinely curious, what makes it such a bad motor that needs to be avoided?

'02 Toyota MR2 Spyder

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)
Old 04-27-2002, 01:26 PM
I_Alcyone_I

My mom has a 93 legacy. It's been a good car and she is on around 180k I think. Drives it about 50 or 60 miles a day. She has never had a transmission problem.
It is a good little car.... but then again nobody listens to me, so why am I even posting?
Old 04-27-2002, 02:09 PM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXDriver
punisher,

Just because you have spent only $2k that it is a good motor. Most people have problems with this motor. I know because I have friends that have it and constanly go in for repairs and they are tired of it. I have friends that have their gasket seal replaced like 3 times. I do not need to own an Impreza to know if it is a good motor or not. I trust what my friends tell me because they are enthusiasts like me. I driven both the 2.5L Phase I and I have the 2.5L Phase II in my Legacy right now and there is a difference between the two motors besides the DOHC and SOHC. I think that you just need to accept the fact that the 2.5L Phase I is just a crap motor.
Gary-
My 96 Outback has 111,200 miles. It had the crank seal replaced once and the timing belt replaced (for the first time) at 105,000 miles. That is the extent of the problems I've had with the "crap motor" 2.5L Phase I, that has been driven very hard throughout its 6 year life.
I would not say that "most people" have problems with the motor. I've never heard any evidence to point to that.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:37 PM
Green1995SVX

I guess I should have just kept my effing mouth shut.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:56 PM
punisher

Well I mean...I dunno what to tell you people. I've never heard of trouble with the legacy's engine. And I've never experienced trouble with the legacy's engine. Perhaps older model legacies do have problems. Perhaps they dont. There are exceptions to every rule...just like some SVXs have problems...and yet others do not.