How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Certified Porschephile

Why? The W-12 model is pretty nice, but it essence it's really an Audi A8L for less money.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitob
One can also get a VW Phaeton for a decent price these days too, unless cylinder number and manual transmissions tickle your fancy.

I've never been a huge VW fan for a "nice" car, I love my Vanagon, but VW is VW, it has more to do with comfort and the way the car drives not that the sexy BMW body lines have anything to do with it I do like the golf sport models for a dailey driver zippy car, but it just dosn't stand out in a crowd the same way.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.

Last edited by NapaBavarian; 03-26-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
Why? The W-12 model is pretty nice, but it essence it's really an Audi A8L for less money.

besides the fact that i've never liked VW's (although i do like Audi's ), i found quite a few reviews on the piss-poor quality of the Phaeton.

in fact, if you read up on it, i believe its Navigation system doesn't even give you street names - in a $70,000 car! he already had a car that spent more time in the shop than on the road, called a Mercedes S-class. if you like chasing electrical gremlins and getting friendly with the dealer, then the VW is a great car.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Good morning!

I do believe the Phaeton is still a bit out of my price range, here is what an autotrader search of all areas revealed:

$88,505 Highest price
$38,995 Lowest price
$55,515 Average price

I could afford the $30,000 car if I wanted to, the hard part is going from a truck that costs me $75 a month to register and insure to a car that costs over $600 a month for the same plus payment
Old 03-27-2006, 09:33 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
V-12 Beemers Rock! I drove a 2001 530i sedan and it was one smooth riding car.
teh 530i is a v-12?

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 03-27-2006, 11:32 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy
teh 530i is a v-12?
You see, this an example of the warped thinking that badges mean everything. Now don't get me wrong, those brands had to have done something great to earn that prestige but unless you want to pay for every aspect for what they stand for I bet there is always a model that is equal in most aspects while even offering more in some for less. As for VW's electrical gremlins, those mostely affected 1999-01 models, also Phaetons were produced in a seperate facility in Germany and not in Mexico with all the rest. However, just because a car is made in Mexico doesn't make it nessisarily crappy either, take the Neon SRT-4 for example and its apparent bullet-proof engine.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
the is no such thing as a 5 series with the V-12 in it. If you would like to say I am full of crap then show me some pics....and if you ever do find one you can figure it wasn't put there by Hans in Germany either.

You could also get an 850 (v-12) with a 6 speed here in america. They are about as popular as hens teeth.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Hater

Quote:
As for VW's electrical gremlins, those mostely affected 1999-01 models, also Phaetons were produced in a seperate facility in Germany and not in Mexico with all the rest. However, just because a car is made in Mexico doesn't make it nessisarily crappy either, take the Neon SRT-4 for example and its apparent bullet-proof engine.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...wagen_phaeton/

crap is crap - i don't care if its built by hand on the moon.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I'm kind of partial to this one.

Linky
Old 03-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I'm kind of partial to this one.

Linky
Nice... But the wheels are on backwards.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
Too bad he couldn't have taken more pictures....

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Good morning!

Quote:
You see, this an example of the warped thinking that badges mean everything. Now don't get me wrong, those brands had to have done something great to earn that prestige but unless you want to pay for every aspect for what they stand for I bet there is always a model that is equal in most aspects while even offering more in some for less. As for VW's electrical gremlins, those mostely affected 1999-01 models, also Phaetons were produced in a seperate facility in Germany and not in Mexico with all the rest. However, just because a car is made in Mexico doesn't make it nessisarily crappy either, take the Neon SRT-4 for example and its apparent bullet-proof engine.

Was this a general answer to the thread or a direct responce to the 530i comment? That car does have half of a V12 and I challange you to find a car that would offer me a better value for the same thing than the 750iL sport, I have looked and the only affordable alternative that I have found is Subaru, others are close, but just not the same, a bmw is more like a multi passanger Porsche than any thing else I have looked at. I'm not a fan of the stigma thet many people have about BMW drivers, but that is their problem, not mine, A chevy suburban starts at $38,000 and nicely optioned sits at $55,000. It sits somewhere between a 3 and a 5 series, it may be larger, but it is no where close to the fit and finnish or the overall quallity of the BMWs, and the BMWs are likley to use less gasoline I would enjoy a nicely made car over a huge car.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

A guy in the local BMW club used to autocross his 740il. One time he had 4 other people go along for a lap...in total comfort I might add.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:07 AM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapaBavarian
Was this a general answer to the thread or a direct responce to the 530i comment? That car does have half of a V12 and I challange you to find a car that would offer me a better value for the same thing than the 750iL sport, I have looked and the only affordable alternative that I have found is Subaru, others are close, but just not the same, a bmw is more like a multi passanger Porsche than any thing else I have looked at. I'm not a fan of the stigma thet many people have about BMW drivers, but that is their problem, not mine, A chevy suburban starts at $38,000 and nicely optioned sits at $55,000. It sits somewhere between a 3 and a 5 series, it may be larger, but it is no where close to the fit and finnish or the overall quallity of the BMWs, and the BMWs are likley to use less gasoline I would enjoy a nicely made car over a huge car.
It was a response to what Landshark said considering the Phaeton came after the whole electrical gremlin fiasco or even if it was still going on with the Jetta and Passat it wouldn't of been effected considering the Phaeton is made in a seperate factory with much higher quality standards. I also agree with you that when it comes to the best bang for your buck in performace, luxury and utility Subaru is very hard to beat. Also, 750li is probably one of the best cars BMW offers aside from the M series cars, the Audi RS4 comes pretty close or if plastic is not a problem for you so can the 300C SRT-8.

Last edited by Weebitob; 03-28-2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Hater

Quote:
It was a response to what Landshark said considering the Phaeton came after the whole electrical gremlin fiasco or even if it was still going on with the Jetta and Passat it wouldn't of been effected considering the Phaeton is made in a seperate factory with much higher quality standards.

apparently you didn't read the Automobile magazine 4-seasons test article of the Phaeton i linked to. i'll give you some highlights:

We have no quarrel with maintenance costs; they are completely covered for the first four years or 50,000 miles of ownership. We do object to reporting the same problems again and again and receiving no resolution from the dealerships. Every time one of the electrical glitches was mentioned to a dealer, it was rapidly pronounced "fixed," although it would recur not long after leaving the dealer's parking lot.
An example: the car was taken to the local Ann Arbor dealer because we could not reset the frequently erroneous tire-pressure sensors for the rear wheels, even when carefully following directions in the comprehensive manual. The dealer managed it but then tried to charge us $38 for labor. A lively discussion ensued. In the end, the reluctant service manager finally agreed to waive the labor charge, even though we were informed that, "Volkswagen will not reimburse us." Our unspoken response, and we suspect that of other disgruntled, mistreated owners, was, "Who cares?" The keys were relinquished, and we were left to search the parking lot for the unwashed "luxury car." At least the Carlsbad, California, dealer who failed to fix our problems during visits two weeks apart was gracious enough to wash the car both times.........

Optical qualities of both the windshield and the backlight were questioned from our first contact with the car, but neither piece of glass was replaced because, according to the dealers, it was "a supplier problem" affecting all Phaetons and Touaregs, and there was no point in exchanging one set of distortions for another. (Why VW didn't solve this before production is beyond us.)............

Four times on the two-hour drive, the stereo/climate control shut down completely, only to come back on five seconds later, having reverted to the settings when the car was first started," reported managing editor Amy Skogstrom, who went on to note that a rear headrest moved itself up and down at random intervals in city driving, and the lumbar support in the driver's seat "decided to go into massage mode, rolling up and down the seatback" during her Christmas weekend.
That sort of thing continued during our time with the car in California. "From time to time the nav system turns itself on and announces in dulcet tones that one should turn right. Why right? Who knows?" The navigation system is good only for major divided highways, its database holding only a few street names per city. Or none: Laguna Beach, California, had no streets at all, only the Pacific Coast Highway. Quite often the center screen would show a field of black with an arrow moving like fish in the sea, no road references whatsoever. We could put up with some of its obstructive quirks if it were at least easy to program. It is not. In fact, it is one of the worst in production today, far behind the best Japanese systems............

One thing we can say for sure: Phaetons coming off lease will be among the best used-car bargains on the road. Especially for electronics geeks who can chase gremlins themselves............
"

sounds like a high-quality vehicle! if the NEW factory has "high quality standards", i'd hate to see what came out of the low quality factories.