Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 07-28-2005, 03:45 AM
KCROGUEDOG

i got the gcs to
Old 07-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Superbeast

Full firm is the sugested setting for the springs Porter was providing with his kit becouse the springs are about as stiff as you can get before over powering the Konis rebound rate. Any softer and the car would bounce to much. The set up is fine for everyday driving, about the only thin that makes in non-everyday drivable is when you lower it to much, even then you just try to avoid the really bad roads.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:34 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i am going to lower it just to see. it looks more aggresive.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:37 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i was looking every where on my spring yesterday during installing and i could not find any # having to do with spring rate. like 380 or 325. the front two are the barrel shaped and the back are straight.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Ok, so with the setup I am getting which is what GC recommends and sells as a standard to us. Would it be suggested by those who have them to keep them on full firm? Just wanna make sure I am getting this

Tom
Old 07-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I have my GC's set at the lowest possible setting in the summer.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I have my GC's set at the lowest possible setting in the summer.

I've had mine set pretty low for awile but I know if I start hamering it on an auto-X coures that I'm gonna be bottoming out, plus I don't have any bump stops on the front struts so I want to get those on before I race it also. I've oly hit about 3 bumps the whole time I've had the set up on that felt like they could have put the struts thorugh the hood. Not a good feeling So remember low is cool but not always better.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:20 AM
KCROGUEDOG

well i did the install and my rear mounts one sqeaks and one rattles because it was loose before install. i just couldnt get the mount snug on the coil and strut. i need a washer inbetween the top perch and the mount to kill the looseness. i ran out of time in the shop and just threw every thing together. i got to pull them tomorrow or the next day. the rest front is all good. corners are awsome. and as for settings i turned the rears all the way to the right thinking it was firm. but its not to the left is firm says the nob. i got to change the rears to firm. i was wondering why so bouncy.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:33 AM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
well i did the install and my rear mounts one sqeaks and one rattles because it was loose before install. i just couldnt get the mount snug on the coil and strut. i need a washer inbetween the top perch and the mount to kill the looseness. i ran out of time in the shop and just threw every thing together. i got to pull them tomorrow or the next day. the rest front is all good. corners are awsome. and as for settings i turned the rears all the way to the right thinking it was firm. but its not to the left is firm says the nob. i got to change the rears to firm. i was wondering why so bouncy.

Yeah I forgot about the rear strut shank spacing, you need to get a washer that will fit over the shank so you can tighten it up all the way, or it makes god afull sqeeking noises.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:32 AM
KCROGUEDOG

u keep the dust cap thing to huh? washers is what i need. one is loose because of no washer. rattle. the other small sqeak is not bad but i will find it. the dust cap thing goes ^ right? i saw i looked like it could go both ways.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
u keep the dust cap thing to huh? washers is what i need. one is loose because of no washer. rattle. the other small sqeak is not bad but i will find it. the dust cap thing goes ^ right? i saw i looked like it could go both ways.

What was the dust cap again? It's been awile since I did them. The sqeek is probly from the loose strut too, thats what mine were doing. They need to be really tight.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
so wait, i need a washer to go on the end of the strut shaft so it will tighten up right or do the washers go on the mounts

TOm
Old 07-30-2005, 03:29 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i doing both to get a snug snug fit. i tried and tried and could not get that thing to stop rattling before the install. washers on the shaft and one in the mount. the dust cap deelly looks simalar to the gc top perch cap but a little smaller. it came off under the rear mounts with a thick washer. which i used both to take up space. i got a little confused during the long process at the end. my car rides rough. really rough. ive messed around with adjusting the front and firm feels the best. but the rear i think bounces like crazy. you feel the rear in the seat and the front in the wheel right?
Old 07-30-2005, 03:30 PM
KCROGUEDOG

oh yeah my mounts were in really good condition. but the struts were shot to hadies.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
so wait, i need a washer to go on the end of the strut shaft so it will tighten up right or do the washers go on the mounts

TOm

The washer can go on top or the bottom of the mount but it needs to go on the strut shank to take up the space so the nut will tighen all the way.

<EDIT> I just remembered that you will want to use the washer on the top of the mount, becouse it is a very small amount that the washer takes up and if your washer is too thick it won't really matter on the top of the mount, but if it's on the bottom of the mount it may not let the shank get into the hole in the mount and the strut shaft will be using the threads to try and hold the strut . (NOT GOOD) So on second thought play it safe and put the washer on top.

Last edited by Subafreak; 07-30-2005 at 04:03 PM.