SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
We have a match!!! or two!!!

Henderson auto in scottdale penn has 2 impreza transmissions for me. I am thinking of picking up both for 300 instead of shipping one for 300. Will only cost me $80 in gas to get there and back. I think im gonna rebuild the 90k one while the 70k is in the car. Or just put it on the shelf for later use. Anyway I am gonna go get them on tuesday so my car should be running by fri the latest. I am gonna wait until I have to replace the trans again to convert over to hydro as my current setup is nice and I can convert the 94 trans to cable if it is not already. Well wish me luck with the swap and stuff

TOm
Old 05-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
4.11's rev at 3k while doing 70mph now
3.90's rev at 3k while doing 80mph (If you're still considering the WRX tranny)
Old 05-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
We have a match!!! or two!!!

Henderson auto in scottdale penn has 2 impreza transmissions for me. I am thinking of picking up both for 300 instead of shipping one for 300. Will only cost me $80 in gas to get there and back. I think im gonna rebuild the 90k one while the 70k is in the car. Or just put it on the shelf for later use. Anyway I am gonna go get them on tuesday so my car should be running by fri the latest. I am gonna wait until I have to replace the trans again to convert over to hydro as my current setup is nice and I can convert the 94 trans to cable if it is not already. Well wish me luck with the swap and stuff

TOm
That's super awesome news Tom! Two are always better than one...especially the way we race our SVXs!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Maniac modifier

thats kinda my point. I will rebuild the one I don't use so it will be pretty much brand new when i need it.

Tom
Old 05-06-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
Damn all that horsepower.

Damn all that torq, and traction.

Also how abusive were you to your trannie?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Maniac modifier

damn it all to hell!!!!

I was never really abusive to it. The trans was 2qts. low on oil when i picked it up and had a severe scream in 1st and a not so severe scream in 2nd. It also whirred a lot when in 5th cruizing at highway speeds. I knew the ttrans was on it's way out so it was no surpise that it broke when it did. I have recently been working on a good launch with a high rpm slip. I was just doing one of those and before i could engage the clutch completely...Bang. I did not dump it or anything, justy couldn't take it anymore I guess. I am taking the old trans out right now to make way for the new one. Fun stuff that gear oil is, and it has the most delightful smell . I will be in the garage if anyone needs me

Tom
Old 05-06-2005, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatrickB
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
Damn all that torq, and traction.

Also how abusive were you to your trannie?
it may have not just been him that abusive to it. so who really knows. i did 1 or 2 decently hard launches on it. victoria did who knows what with it. the tranny was very whiney but that was more then likely do to her not putting back the sound deading material in the transmission tunnel. anyway you look at it, that style of transmission was swap for how cheap it could be replaced. either way hope it gets fixed intime for the drag event
Old 05-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Fun stuff that gear oil is, and it has the most delightful smell
LOL! Yeah, that stench stays in your nostrils for hours too! I always hate changing my front/rear diff oil for that very reason.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Maniac modifier

HAHA i Hate gear oil. ATF is not much better either. My buddy who is a tech for GM said that they have some kind of gear oil that is made to smell like grapes!! Can u believe that?!?!? He said he would take regular stuff over that because it smells even worse. I can only imagine gear oil that smelled like grapes

Tom(mmmm beeeeeeeeeeerr)
Old 05-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB
it may have not just been him that abusive to it. so who really knows. i did 1 or 2 decently hard launches on it. victoria did who knows what with it. the tranny was very whiney but that was more then likely do to her not putting back the sound deading material in the transmission tunnel. anyway you look at it, that style of transmission was swap for how cheap it could be replaced. either way hope it gets fixed intime for the drag event
It had been raced before PatrickB got hold of it. I know this because it came up in conversation when we were considering buying it.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatrickB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
It had been raced before PatrickB got hold of it. I know this because it came up in conversation when we were considering buying it.

and other stuff for 10 characters
Old 05-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Maniac modifier

I wouldn't doubt it. That is why there was a hideous whine in 1st and 2nd. I try to only beat it up if I have a reason. When I blew it, I was practicing a launch for when I go to the track. Thats all there is to it. I beat it to race it for times and no other reason. She beat it to beat it. I was archiving some of her posts and there is no doubt in my mind that she was racing it. I think the trans will hold up well with some respect and attention to detail, which she seemed to lack.

Tom
Old 05-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Maniac modifier

just got the trans pulled out and i tore it open. seems to me that the center diff fried. the spider gears in my cupler are shot and worn down. Not to mention a few teeth missing . anyway, the rest of the trans looks great so im am gonna contact my trans guy and see how much new spider gears will cost me. I wil have pics up in an hour or so.

Tom
Old 05-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Maniac modifier

You cannot see the damage that well but it is there clear as day to me. i got a couple pics of the internals of the trans to show how good condition it is in.

Here is where all the trouble is

Does anyone have an extra cupler laying around? I could sure use one to make trans nice a pretty again. Also, would this be causing my 1st and second gear whines?

Tom
Old 05-09-2005, 01:06 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Fix that trans up and sell it to me so that i can do this 5 spd swap...of course u would have to help out with that

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network