Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-02-2005, 10:35 AM
zombie91836

SVX vs Ford Expedition (yeah.. you know how this turns out)

Well, another SVX's life was taken away from it this past week. An SUV travelling in the opposite direction from me decided to take a left turn in front of me, and well.. my car died at the scene. This was a 45 mph road, and that's the speed I was going before I hit the brakes half a second before impact.

The car is currently at a yard on the Austin Police Department rotation. Once everything is sorted out, I'll let you know where to inquire for parts. I have no idea what shape anything is in anymore in that car. I have not seen it since they towed it away. I do know that the engine was still running after the collision. I put it in park, popped the e-brake, and turned off the ignition. That SVX is a tough car.

I'm pretty banged up and injured, and our insurance companies are duking it out right now. (other driver was uninjured as far as I've been told.)

I'm mostly sad because I'll never be able to replace that car. My uncle gave it to me for free, since it needed a bit of work done on it. I replaced the axles, wheel bearing, remounted the transmission, got a heavy duty tranny cooler installed, flushed the radiator, differentials, etc and got it all new fluids (synthetic when I could) and after all of that, I had a wonderful car that has lasted me for over a year with nary a problem. (there was an oil leak that I got fixed.. the front half of the engine got taken apart and put back together with new seals everywhere)

All of that doesn't really matter now, though. It's gone. Life goes on, though.

Here are some pictures for those of you that like that sort of thing. I took them with the crappy camera on my cell phone, so don't expect them to look good. My hand was also shaking.

The victim:

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/7582/pi...28apr055yv.jpg

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/9716/pi...28apr056lk.jpg

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/8853/pi...28apr055zv.jpg

[
http://img142.echo.cx/img142/2116/pi...28apr057qh.jpg

The enemy:

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/3968/pi...28apr057rl.jpg

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/2489/pi...28apr050eg.jpg

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/6467/pi...28apr050eb.jpg

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/2907/pi...28apr053wy.jpg

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/725/pic...28apr055ld.jpg

Expert simulation of the accident:

http://img122.echo.cx/img122/6531/crash2hs.jpg
Old 05-02-2005, 10:48 AM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Holy hell. That's terrible. Hope you have no life-changing injuries, and you'll be fine.

Wow...hope everything works out with the money/health stuff. I know it's a HUGE pain in the ass (literally, lol ).

Good luck, and hopefully you can get in another SVX.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian

People like that should be put to sleep!!!
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:14 AM
zombie91836

All of my injuries should be ok. Everything is bumps, bruises, contusions, crushed muscles, and internal bleeding.

Here's a nice list of where I was hurt more than just scapes;

Left forearm
Right shin
Right foot
Right shoulder
right wrist
neck
back
head (looks like I cracked the windshield with my noggin)
left ribs
lower back on the left
left collarbone (huge seatbelt welt.. at least I had it buckled!)

My arms and legs only hurt when I poke them now, or try to walk. I can get around, though. The neck hurts when I turn my head too much. The only things that hurt constantly are a headache I have and my ribs. Every breath feels like I'm being stabbed. I got the hiccups 2 nights ago, and that was the worst thing ever, haha.

I should be able to make it to work by tomorrow. I hate having to stay home. I'm going to the doctor today to get my right foot looked at. It swole up yesterday and it's freaking HUGE and black and blue right now. I can't get my shoe on.

I got X-Rays and a CAT scan on my head, and everything will be OK. There are no breaks that we know of, so I expect to fully recover. The driver of the other vehicle was uninjured, as far as I've been told. Funny story, though. She went to the hospital anyway.. and was in the bed next to me, with only a curtain between us. I had no idea, and she was crying and wailing and freaking out when I was talking about all my injuries. The nurse told me about that, and then I felt guilty about causing her extra stress.. bah. I'm too nice.

Anyway, the big loss here is the poor SVX. I will miss that car. It was the greatest car I have ever driven. Nothing will compare to that experience. I'm just glad it kept me alive through that impact.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Hater

wow, that's horrible!

i hope you're ok and feeling better soon.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie91836
then I felt guilty about causing her extra stress.. bah. I'm too nice.

Yes, you are too nice, no toning down of your injuries is allowed, I'm nos saying to go and screw her, but if she caused the accident then she (or her insurance company) should help compensate you, and incurance companies tend to be about as honest as a used car salesman... I just got done talking to my neighbor who was hit, no question about fault, but the company still tried to place partial blame on him.

contusions, neck, and back are NOT MINOR! Make sure that the company pays for rehab, if not properly treated those tend to never go away, unless she is blind she has no reason for turning in front of you, imagine if you had been a not so well off mother/father driving your kids to school in a much less protective honda civic or riding a motorcycle, she is lucky it isn't worse.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Good morning!

oops... I was thinking concoutions(sp?), not contusions, but the rest stands for neck/back.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Arrrgh! Not good. Did she drop her cellphone when you hit her?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 05-02-2005, 01:03 PM
antidisestablishmentarian

Send a message via AIM to Rd96SVX Send a message via MSN to Rd96SVX
Awww MAN

That is not a list of injuries to take lightly, DEFFINATELY make an appointment with a chiropractor to check out the neck/back stuff. LIGAMENTS and TENDONS are TORN at impacts of LESS than 10 mph and exponentially increased in injury with speed, this is the stuff you cannot tell is injured until later. Make the appointment soon, here in KY (is a no fault) state, whereas Insurance will cover your cost for treatment no matter the blame, look into that for TX. Oh, and I have to say LMAO with that expert simulation... LOL, very nice. Take care, I'm sure there are plenty of parts vultures around to make sure your car lives on in other SVXs.
-Alex
Old 05-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I agree, don't just stop with the ER, family doc and orthopedists, go see a neurologist. You may not think much of it now but believe me in five or ten years it can make a heckuva difference. Take it from someone that knows...
Old 05-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Drivers!!!!

Hi Zombie, That really sucks. I have noticed lately that the bad drivers have stepped it up several notches. Not a day goes by that I have to do something to keep from being run over or into. In my case I have a daily driver that lets my SVX sleep in the garage. Nice and safe. Well ,I hope you recover completely. You should look around and see if you can find a replacement SVX. Someone is always selling one someplace. Take care, BOBB
Old 05-02-2005, 04:33 PM
zombie91836

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd96SVX
I'm sure there are plenty of parts vultures around to make sure your car lives on in other SVXs.
-Alex
That's what I'm hoping. This SVX is in Austin, TX, and once everything is sorted out, I'll post with the details on where to find it. I hope that my loss lets someone else get a part they need to keep their SVX going.

I'd also like to thank everyone for the advice. This is my first car wreck, and all advice is welcome. I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow to check out my foot that has mysteriously swollen twice as big as the other one over night. I'll mention the other stuff and see where we can go with it.

Oh, I also talked to the insurance adjusters. The girl in the SUV is claiming that I "sped up" to hit her on purpose or something, so now my insurance company gets to fight her insurance company.

3 reasons why her account of the story don't make sense:

1) I'd NEVER damage my SVX... or myself on purpose.
2) If she saw me speeding up, that means that either she was watching me, which doesn't make sense, because she saw me coming and STILL turned.
3) I'd never damage my SVX!!

Looking back on those pictures.. she looks loaded. Custom grill, nice rims, DVD player, TV screens in the seats. If she isn't willingly going to give me what I'm entitled to because of her mistake, then I might just ask for way more and get it! bwah ha ha!
Old 05-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Another victory for hardcore SUV drivers...

You had the right of way nomatter what. I see this all the time...

Still pisses me off.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
That sucks what happened, deffinetly get any little pain or twitch checked out by a doctor. I know theres SVX's for sale in austin, hope you find another one.
This coming up weekend im gonna be going up to tulsa to get my '95 SVX and ill be going through austin on the way back down on highway 35. If you want we could meet up at a resturant or something if your feeling up to it, im always looking forward to meet other SVX enthusiasts (sp?).

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 05-02-2005, 05:22 PM

Wow! I'm glad you that you were able to come away from the accident with only the injuries you have now and nothing more major. It's a real shame. I hope you feel better real soon.