How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 05:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Somethings not right - what the heck is it?

So - I noticed the other day that there's this terrifying sound coming from somewhere. It's a rythmic "swooshing" that I only hear at say 40+MPH ....one thing weird about it is that I only hear the noise when I'm on the gas.

If I let off the gas and coast at any speed the noise goes away. Also if I through it in Nuetral and rev it, there's no noise. So it can't be something in the wheel area or engine or else my guess would be that i would hear it all the time regardless if I was accelerating.

This leads me to believe that it's something in the drivetrain ................but no clue what it could be. Diff, trans, axels?? Everything seems to be working fine - no driveability issues, but the noise is there when I have to make the car go.

any ideas? I'm sure it can't be good.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 12-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Assuming the rhythm is speed sensitive I would believe it's going to be a u-joint on the driveshaft or possibly a diff.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
So, if you're at 40+mph and you let off the gas there's no noise? Can you get someone else to ride along with you and try to isolate where the sound is coming from while you drive? I'd go with David's suggestions, except your post said you only hear it while you accelerate.....
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-30-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
So, if you're at 40+mph and you let off the gas there's no noise? Can you get someone else to ride along with you and try to isolate where the sound is coming from while you drive? I'd go with David's suggestions, except your post said you only hear it while you accelerate.....
-Bill
yes no noise when I'm off the gas ....as soon as I raise the RPMS the slightest bit it's back

I think it only does it when the torque converter is locked ....i think - i need to get a second opinion

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:42 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
My 94 did that before it's diff died. My 92 is doing it now. I am going to have it checked out -- perhaps tomorrow. Will post notes.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:24 AM
Sue isn't really striped

You're having dif trouble too?

(Mine didnt have any symptoms before it suddenly ground itself to bits)
Old 12-31-2004, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alycone
You're having dif trouble too?

(Mine didnt have any symptoms before it suddenly ground itself to bits)

Not sure yet. Just a whine when you step on the gas.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 12-31-2004, 03:26 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
did you think about the EXHAUST ? you say when you press on the gas, the sound appears (pressure on the exhaust) and when you release (no pressure anymore) the sound disappears. if it were the diff, the sound must always exist, either running idle on the highway or pressing the gas... but I guess this is an exhaust trick...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:05 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Sounds like the diff. mine did the same thing drain the fluid and look for chunks of metal. I think it only makes the noise when you are on the gas is because you are putting pressure on the faces of the gears that move you forward (the ones that are damaged). When you are in neutral or coasting there is no force being applied. I hope that was an ok explanation. Expect the noise to get worse then really bad you have a day or 2. I hope this is good news, 5-speed or 4.11.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 12-31-2004, 07:58 AM

okay - so this must be serious ....kinda figured that. I should be mad, but I think this came at a good time - except for the fact I need a beater car while my SVX gets frankensteined.

So - I'm planning on doing the WRX 5spd swap, but what do I do for diff gears? I hear all about replacing them but isn't that only for the rear diff?

I guess I'll be doing some searching on the forum. Weird thing is, I know the noise was present on my way back to school - I've driven at least 150 miles with the noise (highway). But who knows how long it's been doing it, because I can only hear it when the heats off and the stereos off - which is a rarity.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-31-2004, 08:49 AM

My 94 lasted me a good 2 months before it died. So you have some time. if it helps
Old 12-31-2004, 11:45 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
So - I'm planning on doing the WRX 5spd swap, but what do I do for diff gears? I hear all about replacing them but isn't that only for the rear diff?
You keep the stock SVX rear diff when using a WRX 5spd tranny. The front diff is 3.90:1 but the AWD has a 1.1:1 ratio requiring a 3.545 rear diff.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:14 PM

so something new - I came to a stop and the car stalled out. Then it ALMOST did it again ................nice felt as though the trans was still in gear ......like coming to a stop in a manual trans car without pressing the clutch.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:29 PM

Thats not good. On the other hand, I am working on my AIPC project again.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Meow!

Your car stalling when coming to a stop sounds as though either your Duty solenoid B is malfunctioning and the torque converter is not unlocking or else your engine temp sensor is malfunctioning and your engine/tranny are in limp mode.