Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-03-2004, 06:58 PM
THAWA

If the torque control is the thing that shuts off one bank during shifts that can be ignored, the neutral and parking switches, what do those do? I had thought those would be for starting the car or cruise or something. What does the TCU do with the atmos pressure sensor info?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by THAWA
Sea, maybe you should try just doing the one turbo first just so you can get it all setup and whatnot, then go to two turbos if you so feel like it.

Also maybe you could try to mimic FHI's turbo exhaust design by having the manifolds facing foward and piping that comes from the Left manifold across the engine, joins the right manifold and goes over the crossmember under the head, which then flows to the turbo. You'd of course have to modify the crossmember to do this, but I'd be willing to bet if the control arms mount in the same area on the SVX as they do on the other new gen subarus you could use a turbo crossmember and not worry about reshaping the stock one.
... if you're going to do a turbo setup.. you do it right the first time.. don't spend money on fabricating things twice, and changing, and tuning and EVERYThhing twice..

the only way that would be halfway feasible is if you made an engine on a stand... did everything out of teh car, and then oonce you figured out all the details, modified what you ahve to fit inside of the car.. but even then, it really doesn't make much sense to do it twice

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-04-2004, 01:56 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
If the torque control is the thing that shuts off one bank during shifts that can be ignored, the neutral and parking switches, what do those do? I had thought those would be for starting the car or cruise or something. What does the TCU do with the atmos pressure sensor info?
The torque control is used to soften shifts. The ecu either pulls back timing or shuts off fuel when it receives a gnd signal from the tcu. I think the tcu uses the atmospheric pressure to adjust shift patterns. Not sure how, but that's what I've heard.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:33 AM
SVX Appeal

THAWA, I suppose the EG33 does lean towards the pent-roof design, but from pictures I've seen, it more strongly resembles a hemispherical design that the EJ22 heads. I thought I read from a legitimate source somewhere that they were considered to be hemispherical, but I may be pulling that recollection out of my arse. The distinction between the two isn't exactly black and white. "Hemis" never are truly hemispherical and pent-roofs sure got a lot of curves these days. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs.

It appears than the data on compression ratio history is simply inconclusive. Since the EJ22 and EJ22T heads are not identical, they may affect compression ratio. Because there was not a simultaneous change in compression ratios throughout the years with both engines, it doesn't appear that you could accurately speculate what the difference is. I guess somebody needs to crack 'em open and pull out the calipers. It would've been so easy the other way. Darn...
Old 12-04-2004, 05:54 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

The torque control is used to soften shifts. The ecu either pulls back timing or shuts off fuel when it receives a gnd signal from the tcu. I think the tcu uses the atmospheric pressure to adjust shift patterns. Not sure how, but that's what I've heard.
Hmm, so it seems you'd have rough shifts from not having the torque control hooked up. Searching endwrench shows the atmos pressure sensor also helps soften shifts at higher altitude. I guess you could introduce a separate MAP and have that connected to the TCU. But really it'd be interesting to see how much harder the shifts would be. Though the closer you are to sea level the less effect it would have.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:03 PM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
It appears than the data on compression ratio history is simply inconclusive. Since the EJ22 and EJ22T heads are not identical, they may affect compression ratio. Because there was not a simultaneous change in compression ratios throughout the years with both engines, it doesn't appear that you could accurately speculate what the difference is. I guess somebody needs to crack 'em open and pull out the calipers. It would've been so easy the other way. Darn...
I wouldnt say its inconclusive. The first EJ22E and the EJ22T have the same head volume, so the pistons have to have a different volume just from that information. There's a link on that page to an airplane site that has more info on those engines.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:13 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:

Hmm, so it seems you'd have rough shifts from not having the torque control hooked up. Searching endwrench shows the atmos pressure sensor also helps soften shifts at higher altitude. I guess you could introduce a separate MAP and have that connected to the TCU. But really it'd be interesting to see how much harder the shifts would be. Though the closer you are to sea level the less effect it would have.
For the torque control, there is also the issue that with it disabled, full throttle shifts would be much harder in the clutches.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:32 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:

I disagree, even the stock 8.0:1 on an EJ22T is quite driveable. Now add in two more cylinders and I doubt you'd even have to worry about it offboost.
mmm you have a point there, so what do you suggest ? on what compression can the EG33 be turboyed ?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

mmm you have a point there, so what do you suggest ? on what compression can the EG33 be turboyed ?
I wonder what SVXtasy has done with his internals in order to install his turbo... or he did just plug it on stock engine??? I PM'ed him once asking him about it but he never replied... any suggestions guys ???

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:02 AM

-EG33 internals ... HERE ...

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 12-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
-EG33 internals ... HERE ...

/Sonny
I was thinking more of sizes and dimensions of internals rather than pics

Old 12-10-2004, 06:06 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
BAD NEWS ABOUT PISTONS

Hey guys, I went to subaru dealership service today and inquired about the 92-93 Legacy pistons (2.2L) and their difference with the SVX's... they are quite different in size. Legacy pistons are bigger in diameter than the SVX's they said. SVX pistons are smaller ... any comments ??

Old 12-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I have a chilton's manual at home that will have th eBore and Stroke of the EJ22 and the EG33, I'll try to remember to look it up, but I'm pretty sure they are the same...just like the EA82 and the ER27
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 12-10-2004, 12:13 PM

This may be really dumb, but I have had this thought for a while.

Can turbos be mounted vertically? I would say there is enough room to sqeeze two of them in behind the heads with the compressor sides up. You would have to move some wiring and such, but it looks like enough space.

That way, you have a short pipe from the exhaust manifold to the bottom of each turbo, and back out to the exhaust. The inlets get piped to each fender, and the compressor outputs to a collector and a single sensor to the stock TB. Still no intercooler , although a top-mount may get in under the hood especially if it is long and parallel to the windshield (maybe even follow the curve).

I see a problem with heat rising from the exhaust side of the turbo hitting the intake stream, but the piping would be so short that it would probably not matter that much (especially with some shielding).

There must be a reason why this does not work since I have never seen a turbo standing up before...
Old 12-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Elvis,
The biggest problem I see with a turbo setup where you are describing, is that the driver's side has several components that the passenger side doesn't, like the steering column, the starter, the auto tranny coolent lines, transmission dipstick....a lot of crap on the driver's side to have to work around...

As for mounting a turbo on it's side...I have no ideal...but if you can, it would be a much better set-up, so I figure there's a reason they don't...or everyone would mount them that way (I assume it because it would side load the bearings...but that's just a guess....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"