How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2001, 08:41 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<PPPS: congratulations Aredubjay - you are a deity amongst mortals!!>>

Goodness, let's not go that far. 'Preciate the congrats though.

On another note, I saw some picts of fair Eire tonight. A fellow who used to come to my men's group moved, with his family, to City Gallway about five years ago. He returned tonight to speak of his progress there. Perhaps his exploits there will become a doorway to my daughter's dream to visit Ireland. We shall see.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-17-2001, 03:05 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx

PS: hi svxistentialist - I hail from Portlaoise and have been here since 87 - I always wondered whether SVX's visited Eire - is yours a 4ws?

PPS: my website is nearly complete- takes AGES with geocities pagemaker and I have some interesting stuff on the 4ws models!

PPPS: congratulations Aredubjay - you are a deity amongst mortals!!

Hi Jamsvx

Nice to know there is another Irishman posting somewhere in the ether.

Far as I know, there are only 2 SVX's in Ireland. John Shotsky told me of another guy brought one in, he is also in IT, and in Dublin, but I have not managed to track him down yet.
No, mine does not have AWS. Phil Skuse in UK put me wise there are two models in Japan, at least originally, economy model like mine, chassis CXW, and Bells and Whistles model, chassis CDX.
BTW, you will spark a flameout on the US site mentioning AWS, they don't think it exists. Fuji probably thought their roads are so wide, what would they need it for?
My car also does not have ABS, cruise, nor a factory alarm. What spec is yours?? I will e-mail.

Joe
Old 04-17-2001, 04:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
4WS

Yes, electronic 4ws was standard on the Version L (CXD)model which was sold here between Sept 91 and Nov 93.

1900 Version L's were produced and the model, along with 4ws was dropped in Nov 93 with the introduction of the facelift model, the S40, which was based on the Version E (CXW).

No factory alarm was ever avalaible for the SVX in Japan, although all SVX's came with remote locking and keyless entry. In fact even on new cars sold here now, a factory alarm is very rarely offered.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN
Old 04-17-2001, 09:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Talking 4ws - my site

Quote:
BTW, you will spark a flameout on the US site mentioning AWS, they don't think it exists. Fuji probably thought their roads are so wide, what would they need it for?
Tell me about it! I did get into a flame war on Yahoo but then I had a diagram of the 4ws mechanism to wave around as I blew raspberries at the doubters!!

I often assumed the prevalence of 4ws was for the cramped/narrow streets in urban areas but since the vast majority of the systems seem to be geared towards higher speed stability (or a least a combination of both), I am at a loss to conclude why.

Anyways, my 4ws site is progressing slowly for 2 reasons:
1) I am using Geocities Pagemaker which is very time consuming for me (my forte is not web design!)
2) I only have a 56K connection - and it takes a while to upload everything.

Anyways, since I now know people on here who a) know Japanese and b) are SVX-conversant, perhaps someone could translate the pages that I have scanned on the SVX and I will put up the translation with much lauding of the translator!

My site (early release since still under construction!) is

www.geocities.com/jamsvx

with www.geocities.com/jamsvx/4ws.html as the pertinent page

Forgive the format since I am still working on it!

Regards

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-17-2001, 11:02 PM

Translations

Jamsvx

I'll translate the page from my Japanese Owners Manual about the 4WS and email it to you. I'll also translate the other page from the automotive magazine, but that page will take a few days as it is very technical.

Japanese love to have as many hi-tech gadgets on their cars as possible even if they are of little practical use in everyday driving. In the early 90's 4WS was the 'thing' to have, so even basic Toyota Corona's and Mazda 626's had the option of 4WS.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN
Old 04-17-2001, 11:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: 4ws - my site

Quote:

Tell me about it! I did get into a flame war on Yahoo but then I had a diagram of the 4ws mechanism to wave around as I blew raspberries at the doubters!!
James, if you recall, I was right in there giving you support. "bhria" or something like that had a 4WS model and was looking for parts on the UK site when I announced that "somebody actually had one." I got hammered pretty bad. Almost as much as when I mentioned the motorized side mirrors.

Kinder and gentler is nicer, don't you think.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-18-2001, 05:16 PM

Quote:
James, if you recall, I was right in there giving you support. "bhria" or something like that had a 4WS model and was looking for parts on the UK site when I announced that "somebody actually had one." I got hammered pretty bad. Almost as much as when I mentioned the motorized side mirrors.
One of the few Aredubjay, one of the few! I got quite a few emails telling me what a b-s artist that I was; that I was making things up and since I did not own an SVX I should essentially shut up and one lovely email that said that not only was I full of b-s but that when I argued that many cars that existed in Japan (but only now are common knowledge due to Gran Turismo) have functions that are unheard of eg: I said that I had driven and indeed considered buying a JC Cosmo, then I was a *%^% liar etc etc .....and at the time I was not able to upload the diagrams that I had.

I remember bhria....I think he had some problems with it from memory....but after that flaming Yahoo really lost its appeal.....and here we are now, the creme de la creme of SVX fans!!!

Jamsvx

PS: I got your email paddlesnz...I used to have an MX6 turbo and that also came with the 4ws option.....murderously expensive to repair though.....Mazda have persisted with it till lately (Eunos 800M, MX6 V6, 929) but Honda seems to have abandoned it- outside JDM anyways

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-18-2001, 06:21 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:

I remember bhria....I think he had some problems with it from memory....but after that flaming Yahoo really lost its appeal.....and here we are now, the creme de la creme of SVX fans!!!

Jamsvx

Hey, don't give up on a club because of a few idiots, as i'm sure most will tell you, I get flamed there regularly. But I can always back up my facts. It's only when the name calling and insults start that I really get mad. It doesn't matter where you go, you're always going to run into people that know it all, and when they can't produce the facts they start the flaming. It actually gets amusing after awhile and I really look forward to slamming some idiot that don't know what he's talking about. But don't get me wrong, if you were to join the club and ask questions, as opposed to spouting BS, then I will be yer best friend for life. I have an inherent thing about calling a bluff, and that really ticks some people off. However, I can also admit when I am wrong, (Even though it doesn't happen often ), so I just go with the flow and laugh off what the idiots call facts. It's almost like a feeding frenzy there lately, I like it that way, especially when I can prove them wrong!!!!
Old 04-18-2001, 09:13 PM

Thanks Eddycat2000.

Its not so much that I have given up on Yahoo (I joined when there was about 4000posts so fairly early in the piece) but rather as the SVX fan base has grown, so have the resources and the alternatives - this site being a case in point.

In any event, it is true, as you say, that one can derive a certain satisfaction from proving someone wrong when they themselves have started sledging and generally carrying on like a twit.

*dons the asbestos 3 piece!*

Jamsvx

Old 04-19-2001, 01:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Flame wars

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

with the flow and laugh off what the idiots call facts. It's almost like a feeding frenzy there lately, I like it that way, especially when I can prove them wrong!!!!
Hey James

You don't want to believe Eddy when he's sounding so cute and innocent. There must be Irish blood in him. he sits with a flame thrower in his pocket, waiting for the right post to come in.

Any news on the job thing Eddy?? Hope it comes in good. Still waiting on a manual to get my trans stripped. I have a feeling that the problem is largely mechanical, and could be fixed by a competent shop, which we do have a few here contrary to my previous posts, I am just wary they are unfamiliar with this box, there are none of this type around these parts.

Last, James, Paddlesnz, my car came from Japan with only one key, no blipper. Is there any way I can send off for a remote plipper to suit the car??

Joe
Old 04-19-2001, 03:09 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Flame wars

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Any news on the job thing Eddy?? Hope it comes in good. Still waiting on a manual to get my trans stripped. I have a feeling that the problem is largely mechanical, and could be fixed by a competent shop, which we do have a few here contrary to my previous posts, I am just wary they are unfamiliar with this box, there are none of this type around these parts.

Last, James, Paddlesnz, my car came from Japan with only one key, no blipper. Is there any way I can send off for a remote plipper to suit the car??

Joe
Not a darn thing. It's just frustrating as heck. Not to mention my wife thinks I'm being totally paranoid. But what if one of my references is throwing me under the bus?

As far as the tranny goes, it's pretty much like any other automatic once you are in it. It just looks intimidating, especially the first time you have to rebuild one.

By blipper and plipper are you meaning the remote fob for the keyless entry? I might have a spare one around, I can take a look.
Old 04-19-2001, 04:12 AM

Remote Blipper

svxistentialist

The remote fob for the Japanese model is different from the US model as the remote setup in the vehicle is different. I'm going to my local friendly Subaru dealer on Saturday, so I'll price one for you.

Also have you worked out how to unlock the car without the key or remote? Not sure if this was on the US spec cars.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN
Old 04-19-2001, 08:26 AM

Registered SVX
Joe,
Your problem IS most likely mechanical since you're not getting any diagnostic codes. Have you tried Bell and Covill in London for the "bilpper?" Or, it may be just as inexpensive to order from www.subaruparts.com. They're about 45.00 USD. Or, there's a fellow from the Yahoo club (mgunner21) who has some spares and may sell them to you reasonably.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-19-2001, 09:38 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Joe,
Your problem IS most likely mechanical since you're not getting any diagnostic codes. Have you tried Bell and Covill in London for the "bilpper?" Or, it may be just as inexpensive to order from www.subaruparts.com. They're about 45.00 USD. Or, there's a fellow from the Yahoo club (mgunner21) who has some spares and may sell them to you reasonably.
Survey says......Bad TPS! Sorry Aredub, didn't mean to salt that there wound.

Blipper, blipper, blipper, faster than lightning....
Old 04-19-2001, 05:15 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Remote Blipper

Quote:
Originally posted by paddlesnz
svxistentialist

The remote fob for the Japanese model is different from the US model as the remote setup in the vehicle is different. I'm going to my local friendly Subaru dealer on Saturday, so I'll price one for you.

Also have you worked out how to unlock the car without the key or remote? Not sure if this was on the US spec cars.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN
Thanks Eddy, Paddlesnz

Haven't had the need to open it without the key, didn't know it was possible. Hope it's not possible, I'm more paranoid than Eddycat.
Surely just any remote will not do, or, do I get a remote and just programme it? Is it that simple??

Mine must be different from the American ones, there is no button on the dash or anything. Only hint of remote capability is, if I try the door latch to make sure the car is locked after using the key, it gives a "bleep" inside. I had suspected this indicated the car was locked or possibly immobilized, is this correct for Japanese cars Paddlesnz??

Joe