SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-22-2004, 10:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Blue
Well, thank you! It was great meeting you in person and seeing your little Justy (love those cars!) bombing around the course!

I ran a best time of 50.318 seconds, which I think stands up rather well to most of the non-race tire equipped cars out there.
There was even an EVO out there, on race tires, only running 49.1's!!!

This, on mud&snow tires, a terribly worn transfer clutch, and being careful on a newish transmission and a 122Kmi+ car.

Tell you what though, you get her sliding sideways a bit, and get those rears to chime in, and she likes to DIG! Someone's got video somewhere...I'll try desperately to get it digitized and uploaded somewhere...
A few things:

The Evos (with race tires on) were only beating the STi by a second - and the STi had Blizaks on it! The guy with the STi was awesome to watch.

After you left, Guss (yellow Z06) did a 45.6.

Saturday I was able to do a 56.2, so my goal for yesterday was to get into the high 54s. My fastest time of the day was a 54.6.

I don't know that I can really make the car go any faster than that. I got to know the course really well, and was to the point where I had the right pedal planted for most of the lap.

Since the SVX is in G-stock, and the Justy is in H-stock, I have to be within about a third of a second of G-stock to compete.

So I don't think the Justy is really going to prove to be competitive. It's got about all the grip it'll ever need with these new tires, but out of turns it just doesn't accelerate like it needs to. There's not a lot I can do about that and still stay in stock class. And if I start to modify it, I'll be in tougher classes anyway.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Since the SVX is in G-stock, and the Justy is in H-stock, I have to be within about a third of a second of G-stock to compete.

Sounds like someone needs to find an old XT6 (which will keep you in H stock) . Bet you could find a FWDer like mine for the cost of those tires and wheels. Your times though seem quite impressive to me considering the vehicle your piloting.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:03 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks, Bob. Since it's pretty clear that I'm not going to be able to compete with other H-stock or G-stock cars, the best I can hope for is some respect for driving the Justy as well as I do.

Well, that and fun. Because it certainly is that, as well.

By the way, I spun the Justy on my first run on Saturday. I braked too hard after already beginning to turn, so the back end just went right around.

Going into the spin, I was pleading with the car, 'don't tip, don't tip, don't tip!'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 03-22-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Superbeast

Hay you crazy, cool Auto X'ers, do you find your self using the ABS alot or do you not push the pedal that hard?

Just wondering?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Hay you crazy, cool Auto X'ers, do you find your self using the ABS alot or do you not push the pedal that hard?

Just wondering?
Having upgraded the stock brakes as much as possible - short of going with one of Dayle's big brake kits - and getting on them fairly hard autocrossing, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the ABS in the '92 model isn't the most refined version of ABS you'll find out there (i.e. I'm not sure it really works...)
Maybe Harry (NEWSVX) has had a different experience with his '97.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Sold. :'-(

It's interesting you mention this.
My SVX has ABS (very poor version), but I was able to do most of my heavy braking without any of the ill-effects I notice on the street.
I have noticed it seems Subaru sourced their ABS from whoever did the rest of GM's early ABS systems, and it's terrible, and gets worse the worse the surface is that you're using it on. On snow/ice, it's worthless, and could cause more accidents than it would ever stop, imho.

On the track, I had no complaints.
Raxles front axles
Old 03-24-2004, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Blue
It's interesting you mention this.

I have noticed it seems Subaru sourced their ABS from whoever did the rest of GM's early ABS systems, and it's terrible, and gets worse the worse the surface is that you're using it on. On snow/ice, it's worthless, and could cause more accidents than it would ever stop, imho.

On the track, I had no complaints.
I was always under the assumption that the system was sourced through BMW as the American and most Jap automakers stuck with 3 channel ABS through much of the 90s. The early Subaru system has 4 channels. I don't know if I've ever noticed mine on the SVX but I know it works very well on the Gen 1 Legacy Turbo, although it is loud as crap.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Superbeast

I'm very close to just tossing the whole system out of mine, seems I no longer have sensors or tone rings after doing my rear wheel bearings I have only activated it twice and the first time it almost killed me. The second time I remembered it was there. I can do just fine without it, but I have heard that for auto-X it will always be better to have ABS becouse you can go into the corners deeper and faster by being able to brake into the turn. It makes sense but just wanted to hear it from people who have done it.

You guys rock!
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:34 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I'm thinking about doing my first AutoX sometime soon... I know I won't be in G stock with my mods though... But hey, it doesn't matter... I just want to go have fun

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-25-2004, 01:58 PM

Green, you're out simply by the 5 speed since the SVX didn't come with one. My guess you'd be in Modified G where you will get toasted by 5 seconds a lap but... IT WILL BE FUN!
Old 03-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
I'm thinking about doing my first AutoX sometime soon... I know I won't be in G stock with my mods though... But hey, it doesn't matter... I just want to go have fun
Chris,
I think that running some autocross would be exactly the right way to figure out exactly what your car can and can't do now. Better to spin the car in a controlled environment than on an on-ramp!
-Bill
p.s. you'll probably be in Street Prepared (?) because of the Porter suspension and the non-stock size tires/rims.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 03-25-2004, 04:07 PM

what is the order of classes... I know nothing about AutoX... The only thing that I know is that you steer around the cones as fast as you can without touching any of them...

Can someone list the classes that are in AutoX along with an example car for me please???

ex. "G Stock -- SVX"

Thanks !!

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chris,
It's probably easier for you to just go to SCCA's web site - www.SCCA.com
-Bill

My Locker
Old 03-25-2004, 04:32 PM

I am lost on that website man... Can ya direct me to a better link that I won't get lost... I don't know any of the terms that are associated in AutoX...
Thanks

Old 03-25-2004, 04:34 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
p.s. you'll probably be in Street Prepared (?) because of the Porter suspension and the non-stock size tires/rims.
He may be in 'prepared,' due to the transmission swap. It depends on how laid-back the local group is. CCSCC, here, lets drivers class their own cars. Tech just makes sure your battery is tied down well and that your wheels aren't going to fall off. Granted, it opens up the possibility of cheating, but it also allows some flexibility in the name of fairness for some.

For instance, I'm not really supposed to have 5.5 inch-wide rims on the Justy. Stock is 5 inch. But these are what I found and I'm not maxing out the rim anyway. Besides, it's a Justy and I'm getting my ass beat anyway.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE