Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Sold. :'-(

Autocross Test & Tune TOMORROW, Rantoul IL!

Rantoul, Il, tomorrow.

I'm unsure of the times, but it should be about $20 for the day. Since it's a test & tune, you get as many runs as you can fit in!.

Now that the plug is over, anyone have suggestions for tire pressures, shifting procedures and driving styles for this? I'm quite certain although the SVX is AWD, that it will be significantly different than the limited experience I have in a 5sp WRX.

Thanks!
Raxles front axles
Old 03-20-2004, 05:08 PM

I should mention I've been racing since 1994, and have hours of experience in mostly FWD cars, some of which were modified. Basic driving techniques not needed, only advice on alternative lines and approaches for the SVXs idiosyncrasies.

Thanks again!
Raxles front axles
Old 03-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I had the best control by leaving the gear selector in 1 during autocross. Tranny hunted too much and screwed me up mid turn if I let it shift on it's own.
I ran 49/44 tire pressure on 225/45/17 Azenis.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:29 PM

Did it push on you with those pressures?
My SVX is completely stock, and I run more pressure in the rear than in the front, usually, and was going to start with about 36F 41R pressures...
Raxles front axles
Old 03-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
It didn't push - it was pretty neutral and I slid the tail out a few times.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
...and I slid the tail out a few times.

Raxles front axles
Old 03-20-2004, 09:35 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Wahoo, another SVX autocrosser!!

Michael,
I ran 38 front and rear (cold) with my Kumhos at the SCCA driving school last weekend. I marked all four tires with the old dependable white shoe polish and scrubbed it down to the top of the triangles on all four. I've talked with the instructor who drove with me on 10 of my 12 runs (he actually drove 2 of the 10) and he suggested that I actually drop the tire pressure a little. We're going to use his pyrometer at the test and tune out here on the 28th of this month.
Given that you haven't done anything to your SVX suspension wise, be ready for plenty of body lean and plowing on hard turns. What Matt didn't mention is that he's also upgraded the swaybar bushings on his SVX (as I have), which does make a difference in how the car handles. I agree with his "leave it in 1st" recommendation 100%. The trans will shift up into 2nd if it has to, but it probably won't unless the course you run has a significant straight away.
Hope you're going to install the 3 point harness we've been discussing before you run...the leather seats don't do much at all wrt keeping you in place (i.e. be ready to use your left leg to brace against the door! )
Enjoy yourself and let us know how you do!!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-21-2004, 12:14 AM

Yeah, I've pushed her hard a couple times on the road, and have aleady noticed the reasons for wanting a harness in this car...I've also learned already that you have to really throw this car and wait for the weight transfer before applying power if you want any good rotation. I have been able to get her to drift slightly exiting a corner on a couple of occasions already, but it seems to be a real feat in this car.

I should note: I have access to some very wide, very open, highly visible and rarely traveled corners.

I'm just making my list now for tomorrow (later today?)...

* Air tank/tire gauge - to get ready
* Tools - to get ready
* umbrella - in case I get lucky (AWD, woohoo!)
* cel phone - in case I get unlucky
* money
* food/drink
* hat (who likes helmet-hair?)
* camera
* etc?

I'll post results and impressions later. Thanks!
Raxles front axles
Old 03-21-2004, 03:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I didn't even see this post, Michael. But then we didn't finish with the autocross school until after sunset last night. So I was tired. And didn't read the board.

Anyway, let it be known that Michael knows what he's doing behind the wheel and he made the SVX look pretty good. He does need to fix his transfer clutch, though.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-21-2004, 06:20 PM

Well, thank you! It was great meeting you in person and seeing your little Justy (love those cars!) bombing around the course!

I ran a best time of 50.318 seconds, which I think stands up rather well to most of the non-race tire equipped cars out there.
There was even an EVO out there, on race tires, only running 49.1's!!!

This, on mud&snow tires, a terribly worn transfer clutch, and being careful on a newish transmission and a 122Kmi+ car.

Tell you what though, you get her sliding sideways a bit, and get those rears to chime in, and she likes to DIG! Someone's got video somewhere...I'll try desperately to get it digitized and uploaded somewhere...
Raxles front axles
Old 03-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
Sounds like you had fun!! How was the course set up (a 50 second time with an EVO in the 49s sounds like a long course...). Did the trans ever shift up into 2nd?
Ready to install the 3 point belt?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 03-21-2004, 06:35 PM

Bill, actually, yeah, the trans selected 2nd a couple times, even in 1st and in "manual" mode. It usually shifted right before I lifted at the end of a long slalom, setting up for a long left sweeper...it actually unsettled the car rather dramatically, and I found myself trying to find ways to keep it from happening.
Once I sorted that out, that same sweeper became something of a "throw it to the left, brush the brakes, wait for the slide and hammer the gas, clawing out of it with all 4" corner.

And yeah...a harness is going to become a necessity if I'm going to continue racing this car. lol!
Raxles front axles
Old 03-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
Jeez, how many cones did they have in the slalom - 8? 10? Sounds like a similar "slalom into a 90 deg turn box" they set up at the SCCA Novice school I just went to - think I was more than "brushing the brakes" to pull the 90
Looking forward to getting the harness and mounting hardware/info from you soon. Also looking forward to trading track settings with you!
Take care.
-Bill (feeling better knowing that he knows of at least 2 other autocrossing SVXs - Michael Blue and NEWSVX (Harry Newman))

My Locker
Old 03-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Bill you'd know three if the darn XT6 wasn't faster and cheaper to run than the SVX. Are you racing Sunday the 28th by chance? Its the first in the spring series at Penn National Race Track (just above Harrisburg). If your interested.

As for tire pressures. The only time I ran my SVX I found that having a higher back tire pressure by a few PSIs actually helped but really didn't fine tune enough to come up with some good base pressures.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Bob,
Yep, given that I get the rear bearing and rear struts (first Subie set leaked less than 500 miles after installation) installed by this Saturday, I'll be racing at the SCCA "Test'n'Tune" session at FedEx field on the 28th. Got lucky in that I'm in the afternoon session, so I don't have to have the wheels swapped and be ready for tech inspection until 11:30.
-Bill

My Locker