Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
VW is shifting more and more into the platform sharing strategy that crippled GM and killed off British Leyland. Audi, VW, Bentley, Skoda, and SEAT all share platforms, engines, drivetrains, and interior pieces. Audi and Lamborghini will share platforms, and there's nothing to suggest VW won't help itself to that as well. Worse, Audi and Fiat have just consumated a deal that gives Maserati access to Audi's Quattro drivetrain, and their aluminum technology used on the A8. Hopefully they'll be able to escape the fate that has befallen GM and BL - it would hurt to one day think of the A4 as a Cimmaron. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, well - Let's all go rent that 1977 classic movie "Network", listen again to Ned Beatty's tirade to Peter Finch in the conference room, & realize there's nuthin' new under the sun.

Ron ("I'm mad as h*ll, but can't remember why"!)

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 02-29-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:33 PM
astralbody

My only comment is if Subaru get contaminated by GM
I will never own a new Suby.

This is the reason I will not get a Hummer.

Victoria
Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by astralbody
My only comment is if Subaru get contaminated by GM
I will never own a new Suby.

This is the reason I will not get a Hummer.

Victoria
I still believe in H1. H2 and new H3 on the other hand are POS.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:59 PM
kmin

trim on subarus

i saw someone say that the trim on audis is better than on subarus. to that i say: you're right!! BUT!! Check out the 2005 Legacy. You'll be suitably impressed by the improvements that Subaru has made. I test drove one in Singapore - the inside looked and feeled european, the driving was pure subaru. they've made a huge leap in terms of interior quality.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix96

GM's ahead of you:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/200...s/motoring.htm
Very depressing to see a Chevrolet logo on a Subaru product; one more reason to despise General Motors.

The way things are going, soon there will be only one car company (and one bank, one utility, one department store chain, one grocery... and the guy at the top the only person left employed).

dcb
Old 03-01-2004, 07:24 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

That's terrible... I think I'm gonna go loose my breakfast now... Either that or cry... I just can't see any reason why a **** company such as "Chevy" or "GM" should have any association with Subaru... I think it's a case of "the bully and the smart little nerd".... The bully wants to be as smart as the nerd, the nerd just wants the popularity that the bully has... So they team up... It is a sad day....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-01-2004, 11:29 AM
SoCal SVXer

Send a message via ICQ to phoenix96 Send a message via AIM to phoenix96 Send a message via Yahoo to phoenix96
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
That's terrible... I think I'm gonna go loose my breakfast now... Either that or cry... I just can't see any reason why a **** company such as "Chevy" or "GM" should have any association with Subaru... I think it's a case of "the bully and the smart little nerd".... The bully wants to be as smart as the nerd, the nerd just wants the popularity that the bully has... So they team up... It is a sad day....
You must look at it another way too... GM's money gives FHI and Subaru more to spend on their own R&D, as well as exposing the cars to a wider market than they might otherwise have.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Suby/Chevy

I was discussing the FHI-SOA /GM marriage with a Subaru dealership owner. Officially GM owns approx. 20% of Suby stock.
Like all marriages, this one has good times & bad. Suby & Chevy were supposed to have a shared platform mini-SUV (Chevy) mini-van (Suby) out by 2007. That did not happen. The reason is that Suby balked about using GM engines. Suby is commited to flat (H-type) engines. GM wanted them to use straight fours and V-6's.
That goes against FHI's design philosphy of "Symetrical AWD".
Shall we say that the bloom is off the rose and that the marriage is not as blissful as it once appeared.

It is to GM management's credit that they got Subaru and SAAB to work together. Having owned both Subarus & SAABs, I can state that both companies are similar in philosophy. Both are engieering oriented. Both believe in building 'driver's cars'. Both are non-mainstream and a bit quirky.
If GM leaves Subaru & SAAB alone and lets them collaborate together, I think we should see better products from both of these companies.
I know that I would love to see an AWD Subaru with a Suby flat 6 with SAAB designed twin turbos and SAAB brakes. IMHO nobody knows more or has more experience with tubocharging production street cars than SAAB. SAAB brakes are great. They are the kind that can put you through the windshield when you stop short and are not wearing a seat belt. They are like the brakes in a Porsche.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:32 AM
YodaIsGod

Re: Re: Re: New Subaru Impala???

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

There are many Toyotas just rebadged as Lexus, and Lexus was created just to legitimize (for those people that care - Americans some might say) selling Toyotas at twice the cost of ordinary Toyotas.
uh....WTF?! cars only...

Lexus
LS - no toyota version
GS - no toyota version
ES - Camry
IS - no toyota version

Toyota
Corolla - no Lexus version
Celica - no Lexus version
MR2 - no Lexus version
Matrix - no Lexus version
Camry - ES
Avalon - no Lexus version (extend Camry platform)

yeah there is a lot of toyota's are rebadged Lexus cars

And no....Toyota is not selling Toyota's for twice the price.
A fully loaded Camry can be had for around $26k...where as a ES can be had for around $30-33k. mmm...according to my 3rd grade math skills, that doesn't seem like 'twice the price'.

-end rant-
Old 03-02-2004, 11:22 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Subaru Impala???

Quote:
Originally posted by YodaIsGod

uh....WTF?! cars only...

Lexus
LS - no toyota version
GS - no toyota version
ES - Camry
IS - no toyota version

Toyota
MR2 - no Lexus version
Camry - ES

A fully loaded Camry can be had for around $26k...where as a ES can be had for around $30-33k. mmm...according to my 3rd grade math skills, that doesn't seem like 'twice the price'.

-end rant-
You are wrong about the "IS - no toyota version" that ya said... It was a Toyota platform before a Lexus... It is still made too... Called the Toyota Altezza... Where do ya think "Altezza tail lights came from"... How do I know??? Just ask any of our forign members... They had them in Australia last year when I was there visiting family.... Also, I'm not sure 100% on this or not but the Toyota Avalon is pretty much the same thing as a "Lexus 300 something... I don't know the exact name of the cars because quite frankly I don't like Toyotas... If it is Subaru I am happy with it, but nothing else...

Maybe Nissan, but that would be a cold day in h3ll if I were to buy anything other than a Subaru...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-02-2004, 11:57 AM
YodaIsGod

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Subaru Impala???

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

You are wrong about the "IS - no toyota version" that ya said... It was a Toyota platform before a Lexus... It is still made too... Called the Toyota Altezza... Where do ya think "Altezza tail lights came from"... How do I know??? Just ask any of our forign members... They had them in Australia last year when I was there visiting family.... Also, I'm not sure 100% on this or not but the Toyota Avalon is pretty much the same thing as a "Lexus 300 something... I don't know the exact name of the cars because quite frankly I don't like Toyotas... If it is Subaru I am happy with it, but nothing else...
I thought we where talking about cars sold in the US. I own the car, I think I know it's origins.

As for the Avalon, it's on a stretch/modfied Camry platform which is shared with the ES. Although the ES is REALLY a goosed up Camry.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:08 PM
Certified Porschephile

Apparently Mr. Don't bash Toyota never realized how much the Land Cruiser, Highlander, and 4Runner look so amazingly like the Lexus SUV's. Must be coincidence. I know you said cars only, but rebadging is rebadging. As for ford, they seem intent on stealing badge engineering honors from GM lately. Most Volvo's, Mazda's, and even Jaguars, are overflowing with ford parts. Not ford money, ford parts.

Last edited by Royal Tiger; 03-02-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:54 PM
YodaIsGod

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Apparently Mr. Don't bash Toyota never realized how much the Land Cruiser, Highlander, and 4Runner look so amazingly like the Lexus SUV's. Must be coincidence. I know you said cars only, but rebadging is rebadging. As for ford, they seem intent on stealing badge engineering honors from GM lately. Most Volvo's, Mazda's, and even Jaguars, are overflowing with ford parts. Not ford money, ford parts.
I agree with you...too much Ford & GM dna in their premium marques.

BTW, you can bash Toyota all you want. Atleast my car can fit a turbo!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Certified Porschephile

Hey Yoda, at least you're smart enough to sell the neon and not the Honda!!!!!!! Sorry Rob.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Subaru Impala???

Quote:
Originally posted by YodaIsGod

uh....WTF?! cars only...

Lexus
LS - no toyota version
GS - no toyota version
ES - Camry
IS - no toyota version

Toyota
MR2 - no Lexus version
Camry - ES

-end rant-

Lexuses sold here in the US are simply rebadged versions of Japan-market Toyotas. Same with Acura. All Acura vehicles sold here are sold in Europe as Hondas at comparable prices to other Honda models. Audi, on the other hand, doesn't do this.

Last edited by wawazat??; 03-03-2004 at 09:21 AM.