How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-02-2004, 01:03 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

110 leaded

just a little Q. In idaho you can get 110 octane trick racing fuel from the pumps. I read that the minimum an SVX should use in 91 octane. Is it kosher to run one gallon of trick in a full tank of 91 or 93 octane?
I did just a squirt some time ago, not more than .082 of a gallon. and it didn't seem to hurt the car. There wasn't that much race fuel in the tank but it seemed like it actually did help somewhat.
let me know if it is cool to mix 91 and trick race gas.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:04 PM

Re: 110 leaded

Quote:
Originally posted by civic_slayer
just a little Q. In idaho you can get 110 octane trick racing fuel from the pumps. I read that the minimum an SVX should use in 91 octane. Is it kosher to run one gallon of trick in a full tank of 91 or 93 octane?
I did just a squirt some time ago, not more than .082 of a gallon. and it didn't seem to hurt the car. There wasn't that much race fuel in the tank but it seemed like it actually did help somewhat.

My understanding is, it's not cool to run any leaded fuel if you have working catalytic converters in place and want to keep them that way.

dcb
Old 03-02-2004, 03:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: 110 leaded

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

My understanding is, it's not cool to run any leaded fuel if you have working catalytic converters in place and want to keep them that way.

dcb
Right, and I also don't know why you'd put 110 octane fuel in your car if it wasn't tuned to run it. Can the EG33 adapt to it? I don't know.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-02-2004, 03:31 PM

You ruin your CAT if you run on leaded fuel !!

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 03-02-2004, 04:29 PM

Re: 110 leaded

Quote:
Originally posted by civic_slayer
If your SVX is knock limited for some reason, i.e., the ECU is retarding timing due to the knock sensors, then upgrading octane number "might" help and the ecu "might" respond. I say "might" because I'm sure there's some electronic limit to the amount of advance it will produce.

if you are not experiencing knocking, then increasing the octane number is a waste (of money if nothing else). Remember, the only major difference between lower and higher octane fuel has to do with how fast the fuel ignites when compressed. Higher octane is more resistant to spontaneous ignition, i.e., harder to start the fire - somehow seems backward from what you'd think but it's true. BTW, originally higher octane fuel meant there was actually more Octane (8 carbon atom) in the fuel when compared to the amount of Heptane (7 carbon atom - usually given an "octane" rating of zero if I remember correctly).

see comment on leaded fuel above, it WILL ruin the cats.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I've used octane booster. It supposedly increased to 102 Oct. The car seemed to excellerat a little better, but not that much. It wasnt really worth the trouble. It didnt cause any problems, but if I were you I'd just save the money up for some machanical upgrades. A K&N air filter gives you nearly the same results.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:37 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
will it make the cats fall apart or just clog?

what if the car does not have functioning cats (my obs)

if it will make them fall apart and blow out the back i might need to put some lead additive in my obs to get the chunks that are rattling around in there out it makes such an annoying racket
Old 03-02-2004, 11:41 PM

I aggre Le but would like to add putting in high octane in a car that cant adapt to use it will lose horse power becasue of how much slower the fuel burns. Motor trend did a dyno test on cars that were spose to run regular and were were given premiun 93 octane i think the average loss in horse power at the wheels was around 10HP!!!

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 03-02-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:00 AM

shoot I forgot the name of the person who posted this question.
Most of the 110 I've seen is Low lead. Av-gas is also low lead.

Everyone is correct it will Clog the Cats up.. So you really don't wanna use it. Plus it would be a good idea to Reset the ECU so that adjust to your new mix. Sounds crazy but I've done this myself.

I think I put a little more then 1 gallon.. I made sure it was mixed. as you can melt pistons or so I've heard.

I think the SVX's Ecu would adjust but there has to be a limit as to how far..

I only did it once as I didn't want to clog up the cats. as for any difference. it ran a little a bit better.. Nothing that I can really prove. just what I noticed.

There is more energy in lower octane, then higher or so a Very smart engineer once explained to me how all this is worked out.
In short if the engine is NOT tuned for it, it's a waste of money and that even goes for regular cars burning 93...
If the car was designed to use 87, cahnces are it will run better or just as well on 87 Vs 93... unless it's knocking..

DON't burn your cats out.. WIth all the NEW emission standards that are coming out now.. you'll need those cats, some time..

SVX1999
Old 03-03-2004, 11:07 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Re: 110

Quote:
Originally posted by svx1999
shoot I forgot the name of the person who posted this question.
Most of the 110 I've seen is Low lead. Av-gas is also low lead.

Everyone is correct it will Clog the Cats up.. So you really don't wanna use it. Plus it would be a good idea to Reset the ECU so that adjust to your new mix. Sounds crazy but I've done this myself.

I think I put a little more then 1 gallon.. I made sure it was mixed. as you can melt pistons or so I've heard.

I think the SVX's Ecu would adjust but there has to be a limit as to how far..

I only did it once as I didn't want to clog up the cats. as for any difference. it ran a little a bit better.. Nothing that I can really prove. just what I noticed.

There is more energy in lower octane, then higher or so a Very smart engineer once explained to me how all this is worked out.
In short if the engine is NOT tuned for it, it's a waste of money and that even goes for regular cars burning 93...
If the car was designed to use 87, cahnces are it will run better or just as well on 87 Vs 93... unless it's knocking..

DON't burn your cats out.. WIth all the NEW emission standards that are coming out now.. you'll need those cats, some time..

SVX1999
Someone with more knowledge than me You mean everyone...Mitch?

I thought that the higher the octane the cooler the burn? Yes or no?

Clog is a good term on the Cats. Lead and the ceramic in the cats don't get along.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 03-03-2004, 11:26 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Ya but it smells oh so good!!!
phil
Old 03-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
the higher the octane rating, the harder it is to ignite, so you usually step you spark plugs up one or two "temperature" ratings... the reason you'd upgrade is so that the gas ignites all at once, and doesn't detonate early. you only need that on high compressions, or turbo'd vehicles from what i understand (thats why our cars need 93... i think)

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 03-03-2004, 03:23 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
Ya but it smells oh so good!!!
phil
Hmmm , something tells me that that isn't too good for your brain....

<cartman voice>"Sir, step away from the tail pipes......"</cartman voice>

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-03-2004, 03:23 PM

SVXs need or are spose to have 91 octane or higher.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

thanks for the responses guys. The only reason i asked is that most say that a little, and i mean LITTLE, diesel fuel actually helps clean out the cars innerworkings. May just be a myth. Thanks anyways.

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER