How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by arondale

I think this guy is an outlier. An exception. Unless you are broke or very frugal, how many car enthusiasts drive around in 85 Datsun pickups. C'mon, really?
He also owns a classic Mercedes and a Classic Rolls. He just likes his truck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-10-2003, 10:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

OK, you asked for it

Recorded on a Sony TRV 30e DV recorder in 16:9

Edited with Movie Maker 2

Saved as DV quality avi on my hard drive.

Converted using Windows Media Encoder ;
Compression Windows Media server
Video on demand
I've asked a friend of mine who's big into video.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-10-2003, 03:14 PM
arondale

BUSTED!

Aredubjay,

C'mon man you are busted! During this mini discussion on peoples character in coorelation to their cars you said:

Quote:
One of the most intellegent men I know looks like a homeless person and drives around in a rusted out 85 Datsun pickup truck. You can disagree all you want, doesn't make it so.
I replied:

Quote:
I think this guy is an outlier. An exception. Unless you are broke or very frugal, how many car enthusiasts drive around in 85 Datsun pickups. C'mon, really?
Then you reply!:

Quote:
He also owns a classic Mercedes and a Classic Rolls. He just likes his truck.
You failed to mention he ALSO owned a classic mercedes and classic rolls there buddy. Could it be b/c you would have not have had an argument? Without you mentioning that he was intelligent I could have told you that he was ecclectic, intelligent, and loves vintage automobiles.

Funny how the truth prevails. haha.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:14 PM

Registered SVX
You'd make a great psychic for people looking to win yesterday's lottery. 'I could have told you that the numbers were going to be...'

I have friends and relatives who drive all kinds of different cars. There isn't a thing you could tell me about any of those people that you wouldn't be guessing at. People are far more complicated and interesting than the choices they make for transportation.

That's the issue here, aron, and that's why I was angry about your first comment about Mac and PC users. I would have had no problem with you if you had just said, 'hey, another Mac user - great!' Or even, 'Macs are waaaaay better than PCs.'

But you had to go and say something absurd like 'Mac users are more intelligent than PC users.'

That's offensive and ignorant. So cut it out.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-10-2003 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:49 PM
arondale

Quote:
I have friends and relatives who drive all kinds of different cars. There isn't a thing you could tell me about any of those people that you wouldn't be guessing at. People are far more complicated and interesting than the choices they make for transportation.

Are you sure?..because I don't think that people are far more complicated and interesting than the choices they make for transportation----do you seriously believe I think this?

To be a bit more serious, I think you are wrong on this assumption that people are just guessing. Beyond guessing, many people (myself included) base their educated opinions on what seems logical. There is no absolute assurance of ones acute psychie dynamic; but how in the hell do you think companies market their vehicles? Guessing? Based on certain characteristics of the individual and their lifestyle, right? Surely you don't think Subaru is going to drop $40,000 on a commercial and air it on 10 channels for $120,000 a month without doing their homework, do you? Their commercial scripts are centric around characteristics they feel the potential buyer possess. I'm not saying I spent thousands on research of who drives what type of car, but generally I can gather a partial picture of ones character.

Some statements on this thread are a little more calculated than mere "guessing."

Quote:
But you had to go and say something absurd like 'Mac users are more intelligent than PC users.'
By the way, if you had quoted me correctly you will see that is not what I said. Your statement makes it sound definitive. What I said was:
Quote:
I usually see those that use a mac as being a bit more intelligent.
...which is a different observation you made. If you are going to blast me for a statement...please quote me correctly. For some reason you took my observation personally. Did I ever attack your intelect. How about this for a statement: I usually see those that use LINUX/UNIX this very day as their primary computer as being of higher intelligence that the common Mac folk. This to, is a true observation I have made. You feel better?

I'm sorry that you don't like my factual observation. People I've met that use Macs, on average, tend to be more intelligent than the common folk. You don't have to like or agree on my observation. Go to an apple convention and talk with some folks. Without doing that, I do not think you have merit in your reply, after all you are thinking my statement is false right off the bat without talking to a group serveral mac owners...or are you just guessing I'm wrong?

Last edited by arondale; 12-10-2003 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I'm a PC user and I drive a Justy. I must be doomed to a life of mediocrity.
I don't know anyone else who drives a Justy.

Seriously, I still can't believe you do not understand what I'm attempting to convey to you.

GENERALLY... most people are:

A. Dim.
B. Bright.

I would say A. Why? Because I myself am somewhat bright, and above average in intelligence. I'm not saying I'm a genious, I'm being humble and stating a fact. Generally, I am smarter than the AVERAGE person.

Okay...we have 95% of computer users on one side... and 5% on the other. The 5% side has a large portion of CREATIVE PROFESSIONALS (kinda like you pockets), and the 95% side is filled with office secretaries, 15 yr old gamers, 40 yr old people who drive camrys, etc etc etc etc etc.

Which side is GENERALLY dimmer? The 95% side. The 5% side is generally brighter because the people on that side are usually more creative, or have chosen that side for another reason (design, love for simplicity, whatever).

Given that you're a man of reason and logic I believe you'd be able to understand me, but your biased-defensiveness is blocking your thought process.

- Rob
Old 12-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:

GENERALLY, this is true. GENERALLY.

I do not think you, or most of the PC users here fall into that category. But look at the car you drive. You're all eccentrics. Most PC users are NOT eccentrics. They're boring.

- Rob
Old 12-11-2003, 07:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: BUSTED!

Quote:
Aredubjay,

C'mon man you are busted! During this mini discussion on peoples character in coorelation to their cars you said:

You failed to mention he ALSO owned a classic mercedes and classic rolls there buddy. Could it be b/c you would have not have had an argument? Without you mentioning that he was intelligent I could have told you that he was ecclectic, intelligent, and loves vintage automobiles.

Funny how the truth prevails. haha.

No, you're busted. Knowing nothing about the man, you'd be willing to judge him by the way he looks. Suddenly, knowing he owns classic cars, he has somehow gained your respect. If you had never known, you would have still judged him as a witless bum, if you'd only seen him on the street. Therein lies my "argument."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-11-2003, 08:06 AM
The Croupier

Here are a few small snow clips ( allso a couple pics in my locker )
Thx to nick for the vid clips ( Troy got the good film but at the moment he cant transfer it to digital )
There we go! Some videos of Gar going grazy on the snow:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/tuzem/13644.AVI

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/tuzem/13645.AVI

Some photos also in my locker. Thanks again guys and girls

-Nick
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 12-11-2003, 08:48 AM
arondale

Quote:
No, you're busted. Knowing nothing about the man, you'd be willing to judge him by the way he looks. Suddenly, knowing he owns classic cars, he has somehow gained your respect. If you had never known, you would have still judged him as a witless bum, if you'd only seen him on the street. Therein lies my "argument."
Now I see why you get so emotional. You are not reading all the posts or not understanding all the posts. You made two false presumptions. Did I ever once address your friends attire? Did I ever say I respected him? The insight here is that you failed to mention his little car collection. And the "argument" that you are trying to make is that someone is incapable of gaining knowledge of ones persona by the vehicles they drive. Just because I think someone is ecclectic or intelligent does not mean that he/she has my respect. Far from it. If your argument was based solely on what someones daily driver was...well that is a "different argument." Someone that owns nice cars but drives a crappy daily driver tells me one of the following:

a) he is frugal with his money. a cheaper daily driver will be cheaper to maintain.
b) it serves functionality...being a truck and the cheapest of his cars it makes sense to drive it as a daily (parallels with obervation a)
c) was given or has some sort of value to him, other than monetarily
d) attracted to reliability.

It's amusing that you totally dodged my manufacturer marketing comments. I wonder why that is? Perhaps I have a point?

arondale
Old 12-11-2003, 09:19 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Gargoyle
Here are a few small snow clips ( allso a couple pics in my locker )
Thx to nick for the vid clips ( Troy got the good film but at the moment he cant transfer it to digital )
There we go! Some videos of Gar going grazy on the snow:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/tuzem/13644.AVI

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/tuzem/13645.AVI

Some photos also in my locker. Thanks again guys and girls

-Nick
Thank you for being the only person to stay on topic.

Heh, those are cool. It's funny comparing footage of the SVX in the snow, compared to Imprezas and stuff. This car can be such a boat.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-11-2003 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:25 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

GENERALLY, this is true. GENERALLY.
Ignoring everything else in your post, you're still saying the same thing that offends me - that Mac users are generally more intelligent than PC users.

I'll say it again - that such a thing is ignorant, absurd and offensive. So keep it up. I have a 'respect for Rob' meter on my wall next to my desk. It's visibly plummeting.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-11-2003, 10:12 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
It's amusing that you totally dodged my manufacturer marketing comments. I wonder why that is? Perhaps I have a point?

arondale

Sorry, since those comments were directed toward Nick's comments, I didn't bother with them. If you were talking about this:

Quote:
To be a bit more serious, I think you are wrong on this assumption that people are just guessing. Beyond guessing, many people (myself included) base their educated opinions on what seems logical. There is no absolute assurance of ones acute psychie dynamic; but how in the hell do you think companies market their vehicles? Guessing? Based on certain characteristics of the individual and their lifestyle, right? Surely you don't think Subaru is going to drop $40,000 on a commercial and air it on 10 channels for $120,000 a month without doing their homework, do you? Their commercial scripts are centric around characteristics they feel the potential buyer possess. I'm not saying I spent thousands on research of who drives what type of car, but generally I can gather a partial picture of ones character.
I only have three letters for you: S-V-X. You shouldn't have used Subaru as example. Just read "Where the Suckers Moon" and you'll get the picture.

As far as marketing and homework are concerned, I've been in the business for 31 years, and, you're damned right, a lot of it IS guessing, presumption, opinion, and seat-of-the-pants "hope." Sure, the homework goes into it, but, when it comes right down to it, gut instinct generally wins out over "research" every time, especially when you consider that the sampling done by the almighty Nielsen and Arbitron, represent approximately .001% of the populous (Yes, that's what they base their "educated strategic marketing plan" on). Plus, I guarantee you, at national production rates, each of the commercials in Subaru's "Lance" series cost much more than $40,000.00 to produce.

Marketing 101: Advertisers do not expect a commercial to sell their product. Commercials are only intended to create "awareness." The commercials are to create the urge to "check something out" (especially autos), then, it's up to the sales force or the merits of the products themselves, to sell them.

A client once called me and said "We spent XX dollars on those damned commercials for this sale and we didn't sell one GD vehicle." I asked, "Did they draw people to your dealership?" To which he answered, "We were covered up!" To which I replied, "Then, we did our job. I suggest you hang up the phone and call a sales meeting and ask your salespeople why they didn't close any sales."

I certainly didn't enter into this conversation to "start anything."

My final point is, I find it terribly shallow to think someone might walk into my office and, before getting to know me, would develop a preconception that I posessed a reduced level of intelligence, merely because there was a PC instead of a Mac on my desk.

End of story.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 12-11-2003, 10:40 AM
arondale

I understand the direction you are going. And thank you for keeping the tone somewhat well mannered. However I am not being shallow and I'm not talking about PC users. I'm talking about Mac users.

My statement was that I observed mac users to usually be a bit more intelligent than pc users. that's it. I use both. I feel that they both have strengths and I use them for different things. It is a fact that a majority of apples market share is made of creatives. again, this is my observation. It is easy to make this obervation when you meet a bunch of mac folks because there are so few of them (like SVX owners).

I make the same observation with those good at chess. Good chess players are good at strategy, pattern recognition, and problem solving. Those traits probably bleed into their everyday lives. Lets say, for the moment, that you are no good at chess (or you dont play at all). This does not mean that I am going to make the assumption that you are not intelligent, not a strategist, or problem solver. Same goes with my Mac comment. Just because I make a comment about mac users does not mean that I think PC users are stupid or inferior. I use a pc. My best friend uses a PC and is Director of Software for his company making 100Gs. He acquired 3 degrees in 5 years. Of course he is smart. Then again, he is a good chess player.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Ignoring everything else in your post, you're still saying the same thing that offends me - that Mac users are generally more intelligent than PC users.
Good job. Previously you quoted me as saying "Mac users are more intelligent than PC users", and left out 'generally'. And yes, I am still saying that. Why? GENERALLY, it is true.

Quote:
I'll say it again - that such a thing is ignorant, absurd and offensive. So keep it up. I have a 'respect for Rob' meter on my wall next to my desk. It's visibly plummeting.
>shrug<

I don't exist to gather your respect. And right now, my 'respect for your creed of reason and logic' is also plummetting. Would you like some more evidence? All the people on car domain, with their stupid ricey saturns and hondas with big wings. What computer do you think MOST of them are using???? I'll dig up some more information for you later, but I'm sorry, even if it is offensive, from my observations, IT IS A TRUTH. Generally, mac users are more intelligent. This does not mean that all mac users are smart, nor does it mean that all PC users are dumb.

- Rob