How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-27-2003, 08:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Tranny going or not!?

I've owned this car now for around 5 months or so. I put around 400 miles a week on it, and I kinda screwed up my tranny by running different sized tired in the back end for 100 miles . it thuds into reverse (unless I am very careful). and sometimes misses between first and second. But its been doing this for months now, and I was under the opinion that once it started doing this, it just went bing bang slam, tranny is dead. but I've got the same symptoms I had then, now. and there seems to be no difference in it getting worse. How much time do I have on this time bomb of mine? I have 1k in the bank for it, and thats EVERYTHING I can devote to it atm...

J
Old 11-27-2003, 09:05 AM

I don't know about the misses 1st/2nd thing, but the thud going into reverse is likely to be the rear transmission mount has failed. The normal failure mode is for the rubber to separate from the metal part of the mount - leaves the rear end of the unit free to flop around, and putting it in reverse causes the torque applied to be in a "lift" direction so it bounces up and down. Most of this post used terms not quite accurately applied, but hopefully you got the idea.