How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 07:43 PM
arondale

Oregon to Atlanta in SVX = Liscense Suspended!

Well folks. I'm back with my Red SVX in Atlanta.

In the middle of nowhere, about an hour and a half North of Ely, Nevada... flying at insane sustained speeds I got busted, big time.

$558 poorer with a speeding ticket and a "assessment" charge (means in excess of 100mph) my liscense was suspended.

More to come.

Arondale
Old 11-25-2003, 07:53 PM
JLittell

You would never think that police hang out there! Ouch!! How fast?? Going 80 mph in a 20 mph school zone?
Old 11-25-2003, 08:07 PM
arondale

120mph steady for at least 10 miles. Great feeling, except when you get nabbed.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:12 PM
The Croupier

Ok I'm gonna go out on a limb & say it was some wacky 35 MPH zone ( one of those in-between zones )
So.. Ok 135 +...........
What I wanna know is how damn long did it take for him to catch up to you.......
I rember once about 12 years Ago I had a worked out 1975 280ZX Primer black 190 HP ( stock was 170 i think) curb weight around 1200 lbs or some such...... any way I was doing like 140 MPH down this 2 lane Alt. hwy & I passed a cop runnen radar My detctor went nuts ,,, I looked right at his face ,, he looked right at me,,,turned on his lights as i was starten to blur bye And when I looked in my rearview I am allready 1/4 mile down the road & he just turned his lights off & didnt even pull out...

He did however show up at my car lot the next day....... We played song & dance about a test drive & how he looked me in the eye & he ended up shakeing his finger at me & said Don't do that again .. Thank goodness for dumb luck
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 11-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
That sucks... but at the same time... it is a pretty amusing story. In a few years you will find it humorous as well.

- Rob
Old 11-25-2003, 08:17 PM
arondale

Actually, it was a 75mph zone. No gas stations for 80 miles (as a sign I passed said). The ticket itself was only about $180. It was $4 for every mile over. That is the lowest in the nation I think. Most places the minimum is $10/mi., but since I was in such a remote area I lucked out. Then there was an assessment charge and bail.

It totaled out to $558.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:39 PM
JLittell

They get most of their state revenues from the craps tables anyways. A $558 ticket?? Ouch!! Can you pay in installments??
Old 11-25-2003, 09:45 PM
ww111

My ex averaged over 100 MPH from Mtn. Home to Las Vegas... 700 Miles in under 7 hours... she did slow down for Ely... quite a hole. I'm guessing you made the left hand turn...

Collins
Old 11-25-2003, 10:07 PM
arondale

Yes, I've got to tell you though...those 5, 10, and 20 mile straight shot stretches are the best.

One portion where there were NO police (or other cars for that matter) was the stretch above Hwy 50 in Nevada that goes from Oregon to Hwy 50 in the middle of the state. We left Bends, OR (snow everywhere, people put on their chains...it was mandatory... but I pushed on with AWD) and after the state line into Nevada, the whole top half is "as fast as you want to go" territory.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

So what does it top out at???

- Rob
Old 11-26-2003, 12:38 AM
Breck SVX

Why'd you stop?
Old 11-26-2003, 10:19 AM
arondale

I couldn't top out the car, may dad wouldn't let me. We got to 137mph before my dad said that was fast enough, then went back down to around 120-125 area for about 5 more minutes.

I tried to get my dad to whip out the miniDV cam as "evidence" and official bragging rights, but he was more concerned about me keeping the car straight and on the road, fussing at me not to worry about it. My dad and I can testify that the car is not electronically limited to 130, as some people have stated. It was still nowhere near redline.

I have new Toyo PROXES4 tires on the car, so don't think about pushing those speeds without good rubber. I was, however, a little nervous myself going those speeds with the stock suspension. The car felt solid, but with little dips in the road, you don't want to risk loosing traction after you take a little dip and the weight of the car lifts, shoveling more air underneath the car.

Porter, I'm definately going to get your Susp. Kit in Janruary. PM me so we can exchange numbers.

arondale
Old 11-26-2003, 10:24 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

A little FYI: Just because it wasn't near redline doesn't mean its limited. The way cars are limited is at a specified RPM in top gear, the fuel gets cut. I used to bounce off the electronic limiter in my old neon at 118mph... it sounded kinda cool..... but yeah, it wasn't redlining.

- Rob

PS: The other thing I found out is the speedo is a little inaccurate. Use a GPS system sometime, you might find your speedo reads about 6mph faster than what you're actually doing at around 75mph.... so at higher speeds the error could be multiplied a bit and be even more off.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Arondale,

When my '97 was new I took it up to speed and touched 137 mph on the speedo before I backed off.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I didn't see you mention what MY SVX you were driving at the time, but I can tell you this:

'92 and '93 SVXes are not electronically limited, but the '94 and later cars are. They're not limited to 130, as you believe, but 143.

And that, as your dad said, is 'fast enough.'

As for the speedometer accuracy, Rob is right. Check yours against a GPS receiver some time. Mine is within 1mph at freeway speeds, and seems to be very accurate even at high speeds. I've barely had the car over 100 more than half a dozen times in the past couple years. But my wife's Legacy is off by more than that - I think we found it overestimated by about 5mph at 80.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE