SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: WHAT COLOR FOR MY NEW SVX?
METALLIC BLACK 3 13.64%
METALLIC BLACK OVER ELECTRIC BLUE PEARL 10 45.45%
METALLIC BLACK OVER CANDY APPLE RED PEARL 6 27.27%
METALLIC BLACK OVER ION BLUE MIST METALLIC 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2003, 05:10 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Agreed - A "real" paint job will cost you more than $2,500. Mine was $2,800 over a year ago, & that was repainting with the same ebony mica color. EVERYTHING that can be removed from the exterior, including the door handles, all plastic cladding, bumpers & sunroof will be removed & painted separately. All dings will be filled & sanded. The whole process took over two weeks.
Granted - you're "stuck"with a re-do "courtesy" of Earl. Do what 'ya gotta' do. But DO get something in writing that they will continue to repaint every 6 months if necessary, until you've saved up enough dough to eventually get it done right.

Ron .
$2,800 seems about average now. had did your shop do? does the car look like new? does it look like an original garage kept car of can you tell it was repainted?

thanks for the last tip. i think i will do something like that. i'm really scared now about robs' comment that when i paid $600 it turned out bad, and now what do I think it will turn out like with me paying nothing.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:58 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nextcubepro
[B]

$2,800 seems about average now. had did your shop do? does the car look like new? does it look like an original garage kept car of can you tell it was repainted?

Most SVXers that have seen the car say it's a VERY good paint job. I think if you concentrate on the doors at just the right angle & light you can tell that they were de-dinged & refinished, because of a very slight waviness. But, so far through a Baghdad summer at the 10th anniversary meet in Indiana, & a record cold & snowjob in the mid-Atlantic last winter, all the paint is still sticking to the metal & plastic.
I DO Zymol the car occasionally, & it's regularly garaged, but it's driven daily. All in all, I'd use the same shop if such services were needed again.

Ron (No hues is good hues - Black rules & gets dirty fastest).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:05 PM
nextcubepro

The black i chose was actually different from the one I had in mind. it's "starfire black mica". it is gloss black, with blue, red, and bronze flecks in it. the said the process goes as follows:

http://earlscheib.com/pro3.asp

i just hope it sticks and doesn't look TOO ghetto until I have enough money for a true repaint. And hey, at least i know not to look at silver, purple, or maroon (or green, for that matter, on my friends ex car) for my SVX. maybe the black will be "the one to keep"
Old 11-04-2003, 07:07 PM
nextcubepro

oh, and they're including euro clear top clearcoat, and inergrated UV protectant this time around.

i'm so scared that now, this is a free job. i never thought there was a possibility of a more junky paint job from them. i guess i'll cross my fingers. wish me luck.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:52 PM
sleepysvx

scared me too..

Wow,
I was thinking about getting one of those $600, paint jobs too, just to hold me over a year or two, until I can pay for something better..my paint is very faded.....but after your story...ouch!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:06 PM
nextcubepro

Re: scared me too..

Quote:
Originally posted by sleepysvx
Wow,
I was thinking about getting one of those $600, paint jobs too, just to hold me over a year or two, until I can pay for something better..my paint is very faded.....but after your story...ouch!
Well, the thing is that the company claims that my situation almost never happens. But we will see when I get the car back Friday.

An SVX with faded paint? I've never seen an SVX with a stock paint job with faded paint. Perhaps your car was repainted?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:04 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Seriously man, just see if you can get your $600 back. It will be crap. There will be a line of paint along all the rubber trim, there will be overspray, and it'll fade within a year. Don't skimp on this.

- Rob
Old 11-04-2003, 10:16 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Seriously man, just see if you can get your $600 back. It will be crap. There will be a line of paint along all the rubber trim, there will be overspray, and it'll fade within a year. Don't skimp on this.

- Rob
How would I go about this? They've already painted it 2 times now for $600.. theyre gonna say "you came to earl scheib, you knoiw what your getting. What would you do? and I shouldn't raise hell while my car is there, you know?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:31 PM
The Croupier

I really dont wanna start a battle here,
But as you have allready deduced, You're most likely not gonna get any $ back.
what you are gonna get is a free repaint. Ok so its a Maco but its allso gonna have a bit more attention paid to it as they wanna keep you as happy as possable * obviously true sense they are doing the free respray at all.*
I think its probbaly the best you could have hoped for & how ever long it looks good.... it looks good ...if in a few years it needs to be redone & you still got a solid ride .... well then redo it RIGHT * then*
But for now take it ...& remember dont pre- *****...
Those guys dont make top $ or the would work at a higher end shop.
But be pleasant & express you're love for the car & ur appreciataion for there effort & they may put more effort into it.
They saying more flys to sugar didnt come about for no reason..
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 11-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Do the math. a 600$ paintjob, with a written agreement that it will look good for at least ONE year, if not two, is better than a 2500$ paintjob thats done perfectly... i personally have thought about this and here goes. You get your car painted for 600$... they have some overspray, You tell them to fix it or they aren't getting their money, and you want it perfect. You end up with them putting about 4 layers of paint, fixing anything they screwed up, and figuring out exactly how to paint your car correctly. (yeah the paint still sucks) so then 2 years later, its maybe faded, or coming off your bumpers you get it painted AGAIN... pay another $600, repeat *****ing and whining until perfect... even after 8 full years of excellent looking paint, you've spent 2400$, and then, i bet even your 2500$ paintjob is going to be nicked to hell, and faded. either way, its just a little more time and effort, and not such a large investment at one time. you just have to be willing to fight for it. plus, who knows when you're going to be stuck behind a gravel truck, and end up with a huge nick on your hood, or in an accident and get your car repainted for that anyway... I would prefer a better paintjob, and not deal with getting it repainted, but i DON"T have the money for that, and i'm guessing others don't either

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-05-2003, 03:20 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
Do the math. a 600$ paintjob, with a written agreement that it will look good for at least ONE year, if not two, is better than a 2500$ paintjob thats done perfectly... i personally have thought about this and here goes. You get your car painted for 600$... they have some overspray, You tell them to fix it or they aren't getting their money, and you want it perfect. You end up with them putting about 4 layers of paint, fixing anything they screwed up, and figuring out exactly how to paint your car correctly. (yeah the paint still sucks) so then 2 years later, its maybe faded, or coming off your bumpers you get it painted AGAIN... pay another $600, repeat *****ing and whining until perfect... even after 8 full years of excellent looking paint, you've spent 2400$, and then, i bet even your 2500$ paintjob is going to be nicked to hell, and faded. either way, its just a little more time and effort, and not such a large investment at one time. you just have to be willing to fight for it. plus, who knows when you're going to be stuck behind a gravel truck, and end up with a huge nick on your hood, or in an accident and get your car repainted for that anyway... I would prefer a better paintjob, and not deal with getting it repainted, but i DON"T have the money for that, and i'm guessing others don't either
So may opinions put fourth, all completely different.

I want this paint job to just protect the car for 2 years. The paint has a 6 year warranty against fading, peeling, chalking, loss of gloss, etc. I'm not all that worried about looks. After 2 years, i'm turning the SVX into something very nice, show car nice, so for the next 2 years all I need is for the paint to protect the sheetmetal. Hopefully, it will. And I will have gotten my moneys worth.

Did you get a cheap paint job for your car?
Old 11-05-2003, 03:52 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
no, but i'm thinking about it because the previous owner had it painted at maaco, and they really screwed it up... i'm thinking about taking it some where like that and having them do that, and if its garaunteed for that long, just as soon as something happens like any peeling or something, take it back in... the only thing that really sucks is if its all orange peel like... looks like CRAP up close.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 11-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Any $600 dollar maaco paintjob will look like crap up close. Maaco doesn't bring the car down to metal, they simply smooth out the original paint and paint right over the top of it. They also don't disassemble your car very much, so there will be a line of paint along all of your plastic trim, key holes, and the door handles will probably be sprayed right over, slathering the little gasket with paint. IF you want a cheap paintjob, fine, good for you, but your car is only going to look good from 10 ft away, and once you get up close everyones going to know it was a cheapie repaint.

- Rob
Old 11-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
DYou end up with them putting about 4 layers of paint, fixing anything they screwed up, and figuring out exactly how to paint your car correctly. (yeah the paint still sucks) so then 2 years later, its maybe faded, or coming off your bumpers you get it painted AGAIN... pay another $600, repeat *****ing and whining until perfect... even after 8 full years of excellent looking paint, you've spent 2400$, and then, i bet even your 2500$ paintjob is going to be nicked to hell, and faded.
The more layers of paint, the easier it will chip and peel. A good paint job will resist chipping very well. Use DuPont's Imron, that is what the custom paint jobs on semi trucks are done in and they see a lot of salt, gravel, etc.

Good paint doesn't fade until it is left unwaxed for about 20 years.

The more times it gets crappy paint added on top of crappy paint, the more expensive it will be to have it done right.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-05-2003, 05:24 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

The more layers of paint, the easier it will chip and peel. A good paint job will resist chipping very well. Use DuPont's Imron, that is what the custom paint jobs on semi trucks are done in and they see a lot of salt, gravel, etc.

Good paint doesn't fade until it is left unwaxed for about 20 years.

The more times it gets crappy paint added on top of crappy paint, the more expensive it will be to have it done right.

Doug
If you read Earls site, it says they use the best quality paints (better than lexus according to independant lab tests i think), but they pretty well admit their process sucks, and say thats why their paint jobs are so cheap. And while it may very well look like ****, shouldn't it at least protect the car pretty well? How could they offer a 6 year warranty if not?