Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-11-2003, 02:54 AM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8

I thought it was supposed to best the Evo, too. It just didn't when Motor Trend tested it... who knows if that would be the norm or a fluke. I would DEFINITELY opt for the STi over the Evo, too. Hmmm... 4.5 lbs less boost on the STi, huh? I guess that would be due to it having the larger 2.5 liter displacement. It would be awesome to see what a few mods could do to the STi. Yeah, the Evo did handle better... not sure about the skidpad, but the 600 ft slalom was 69.1 mph and 71.4 mph in favor of the Evo, which I think is a significant difference. The Evo also stopped from 60 in 106 feet compared to the 111 feet of the STi (both phenominal, however).

I just wish I could do more than just dream about being able to afford an STi.
I was just reading some other mag I think road and track and they LOVED the STI had the best 70-0 theyve seen in a long time they also said it was faster and a better handler than the ZO6.
I'm gonna go with Landshark a SIlver STI gunmetal rims and the wrx spoiler. I really want one but my kids need to go to college.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:56 AM
SVXdriver_007

Quote:
Originally posted by RRX

I feel you...It frustrating that we have to struggle to get any sort of aftermarket parts. Most companies will not make anything because there is no demand. It seems like most SVX owners prefer to leave their cars stock.
it is sad the Corrado is damn near as rare and they even have a better aftermarket.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:50 AM
hotshoe50

the perfect car???

Guys, cool your jets!!!!

Why in the world do you (Chicane/Rob) insist on getting into shouting matches with people over the best/fastest car etc...

There is no 'right" answer, certainly not yours or anyone else's on this forum...

If you haven't learned it yet, there are different cars that are really, really good for different things.

For instance:

Audi Turbo Quattro: safe, fast ,reliable, fabulous in winter, always starts, parts readily available: great engine/trans

3000GT: 380 HP wondercar, ultra quick, huge brakes, heavy but unreal preformer, great track car, mods get huge results: in red, NOTHING looks better!!!

SVX: totally unique, great daily driver, super engine and pitiful transmission, gets stares, has unique engineering petigree..

ML320: tows trailer, unbelievable over long distances, solid like you can't believe: feels new after 120K mi. never ever gets stuck

Yeah, I'm lucky!!! We've paid a price to have the above fleet but each is great in its own way: I'd feel stupid if I acted and talked like some of you do about 350Z, Neons, etc etc..

Get over it and ENJOY what you have until you find the next great one: Ive had 90+ cars now and unless there is a lottery win, I've got the best in my stable right now (at least for me!!!)

Hotshoe
Old 05-11-2003, 07:51 AM

awww, let the boys argue, tis so cute!

Kelli

ONLY KIDDING!

i don't care what you drive, as long as i don't drive it

i don't care what you like, as long as i don't have to like it

i don't care what you have to say, as long as i don't have to hear it
PERIOD

arguement over!
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

Kelli

ONLY KIDDING!

PERIOD

arguement over!
then don't read this thread. people are just having a DISCUSSION about different performance cars. there are people in different camps, but we're probably all learning a thing or two from each other. does this thread need a warning?: "WARNING TO THE EXTREMELY SENSITIVE: this thread has a discussion going on that could be very distressing to people who are easily offended by certain opinions about cars."

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 05-11-2003 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXdriver_007

I was just reading some other mag I think road and track and they LOVED the STI had the best 70-0 theyve seen in a long time they also said it was faster and a better handler than the ZO6.
I'm gonna go with Landshark a SIlver STI gunmetal rims and the wrx spoiler. I really want one but my kids need to go to college.
it seems that most mags favor the EVO, but i just read one where the STi won the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. i think it was Car & Driver? it sees that they are both pretty close performance wise, with the EVO being a little more on the edge, but the STi seems to be agreed upon to be the better one as far as being more civilized as a daily driver.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-11-2003, 12:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

it seems that most mags favor the EVO, but i just read one where the STi won the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. i think it was Car & Driver? it sees that they are both pretty close performance wise, with the EVO being a little more on the edge, but the STi seems to be agreed upon to be the better one as far as being more civilized as a daily driver.
I read through the article in Motor Trend again... and even thought the Evo came out on top, by a hair, they thought could have been due to the "road" being stickier for it... and that the STi was a pre-production prototype kind of model. You know, probably not as good as the production run ones will most likely be. They just say they're both great, and to each his own. Frankly I kinda hope the STi doesn't have an explosion of popularity like the standard WRX did. I'd like it to stay pretty unique... and also don't want to see middle aged women and 16 year old ricer punks driving them.

BTW... what arguing? This thread has pretty much stayed in line as a discussion of high performance cars (except for the little blip with Rob and James... which was dispelled quickly). I haven't witnessed any fightin', just talkin', by gum.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 05-11-2003, 12:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

Kelli

ONLY KIDDING!

PERIOD

arguement over!
OH YEAH?! WELL YOU'RE GONNA LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!

Please don't hit me.

Old 05-11-2003, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXdriver_007

it is sad the Corrado is damn near as rare and they even have a better aftermarket.
Yeah, the Corrado actually seems more rare (by how often I see them... especially the VR6). They also are very similar performers next to the SVX, aren't they? One of the only VWs that I have actually respected and thought of as pretty cool.

Old 05-11-2003, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Watch out for THIS 350Z!!
Dang. That thing will be badass. That is one tiny looking engine bay... how could they fit anything in there? Now... we just have to do a transplant like that to the SVX! I wish... dernit.

Old 05-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8

Yeah, the Corrado actually seems more rare (by how often I see them... especially the VR6). They also are very similar performers next to the SVX, aren't they? One of the only VWs that I have actually respected and thought of as pretty cool.
No. Much faster than SVXs. Tiny car, with VR6= vroom vroom. I looked, and I mean SERIOUSLY looked into getting a corrado before I scored my SVX. Well, I learned a lot. The G60 sucks, first off. That's the corrado they built in the beginning. It was a supercharged 1.8 liter engine.... and man, you have to rebuild those superchargers a LOT, not to mention all the other glitches and issues those cars have (suspension, heater core problems, wiring harnesses, etc etc etc).....so then they made the Corrado SLC. Tiny car. VR6. Wow. Incredible car. Incredibly fast. Incredibly complex. I test drove an SLC, and HOLY BALLS does it haul.. it also had aftermarket suspension and it cornered INSANE. However, the upkeep for such a car is quite possibly even more so than an SVX....

but the big reason I didn't get a corrado? The owners. Head over to VW Vortex. Register a name. Go into the Corrado forum and ask people about their cars, trying to learn about them. They'll ask what you have now. If it isn't a VW, they'll harass you, ridicule you, and be complete assholes. I've never met a bigger group of dickheads in my life... VW owners can all be 'preppy' together, but I'm steering clear of them.

- Rob
Old 05-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

No. Much faster than SVXs. Tiny car, with VR6= vroom vroom. I looked, and I mean SERIOUSLY looked into getting a corrado before I scored my SVX. Well, I learned a lot. The G60 sucks, first off. That's the corrado they built in the beginning. It was a supercharged 1.8 liter engine.... and man, you have to rebuild those superchargers a LOT, not to mention all the other glitches and issues those cars have (suspension, heater core problems, wiring harnesses, etc etc etc).....so then they made the Corrado SLC. Tiny car. VR6. Wow. Incredible car. Incredibly fast. Incredibly complex. I test drove an SLC, and HOLY BALLS does it haul.. it also had aftermarket suspension and it cornered INSANE. However, the upkeep for such a car is quite possibly even more so than an SVX....

but the big reason I didn't get a corrado? The owners. Head over to VW Vortex. Register a name. Go into the Corrado forum and ask people about their cars, trying to learn about them. They'll ask what you have now. If it isn't a VW, they'll harass you, ridicule you, and be complete assholes. I've never met a bigger group of dickheads in my life... VW owners can all be 'preppy' together, but I'm steering clear of them.

- Rob
aw man, i'm going on that site!

Alan (loves to annoy people)
Old 05-13-2003, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

aw man, i'm going on that site!

Alan (loves to annoy people)
Do it... do it!

Rob, I've never really lined up against one... just "fell" into quick little races on thee freeway. They couldn't quite keep up. They actually sold just a few thousand more Corrados in the U.S. than they did SVXs. I'm looking at the specs (I know, not an exact science) but the US VR6 (SLC) can supposedly mustar a 6.4 sec run to 60 with a manual or 7.8 for the auto... nasty difference. I wonder how the SVX fairs up to 60 with the manual... if it is around the same?

I think it is hard to judge a car's accelaration on how it feels. I have come across plenty of cars that feel like they are accelerating harder in comparison to my cars, but line 'em up and I leave 'em in the dust. The feeling can be deceiving.

My neighboors make me jealous (thread made me think about it). One has a super clean Corrado SLC that is always sittin' outside... it REALLY needs to be lowered and needs new wheels. Looks like it is practically ready to off road and has cheap looking low end American Racing-like wheels. The neighboor across the street from him always had this REALLY nice black 944, then it dissapeared to be replaced by a model I'm unfamiliar with (older and pretty ugly)... then that dissapeared and in stepped a '96 or so 911 turbo (drool). That thing has been in the garage dissmantled for almost a year I think, though. So who wants to come steal some cars with me?