How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Is it Summer yet?

Smile OT (Still Subaru): Happy Day

After 14 months or lifelessness, my XT6 finally fired into life yesterday.
Last year I just messed around with it without a lot of enthusiasm checking the basics - fuel, electrics, etc but everything seemed fine.
Then when the warmer weather finally arrived this week, I got a sudden urge to try again, so I got a big a$$ power charger, hooked it up and away she went.
It ran real rough for about 10 minutes but finally smoothed out and now sounds as good as ever.
So with that hurdle out of the way all I need to do is replace the front drive shafts, fix a big oil leak from the oil pan, fix the A/C, and fix the gear shifter (can't get park).
I should be done in another couple of years
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 04-27-2003, 11:04 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: OT (Still Subaru): Happy Day

Quote:
Originally posted by montypython
Last year I just messed around with it without a lot of enthusiasm checking the basics - fuel, electrics, etc but everything seemed fine.
Then when the warmer weather finally arrived this week, I got a sudden urge to try again, so I got a big a$$ power charger, hooked it up and away she went.
It ran real rough for about 10 minutes but finally smoothed out and now sounds as good as ever.
So with that hurdle out of the way all I need to do is replace the front drive shafts, fix a big oil leak from the oil pan, fix the A/C, and fix the gear shifter (can't get park).
Very nice Colin. Well, now mine is dead. Just in time for the MWM. Trying my tradition out with going to a meet in a car other than SVX.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-27-2003, 12:37 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Re: OT (Still Subaru): Happy Day

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Very nice Colin. Well, now mine is dead. Just in time for the MWM. Trying my tradition out with going to a meet in a car other than SVX.
Seraph, Lwin, Dude! MWM isn't 'til nearly July, man. I'm glad I'm not in Chicago, or I'd haff ta slap some intusiazum inta ya.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 04-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: OT (Still Subaru): Happy Day

Quote:
Good Show Colin!
You can't keep a good XT6 down!!
If you have any questions on it, let me know, if I don't know, I do at least have the Factory Manuals for it

Good to see another XT6 going
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-27-2003, 03:22 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Congratulations!

When you get the XT6 moving, you'll have to drive it up and show Amy that it really does run

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-27-2003, 04:03 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Now I know you guys like those cars, but I hafta say before I bought the SVX, I thought the XT6 was the ugliest car on the planet.

Now that I am a registered Subaholic, I have changed my view on this. I still think it is the ugliest car ever to be released [closely followed by the Delorean] but there is probably a reason under that uninspiring skin why people like them.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Re: Re: OT (Still Subaru): Happy Day

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

Good Show Colin!
You can't keep a good XT6 down!!
If you have any questions on it, let me know, if I don't know, I do at least have the Factory Manuals for it

Good to see another XT6 going
Huck, some questions:
1. I want to replace the oil pan gasket, but it looks like quite a job. What do you think.
2. Like I said, the front driveshafts need replacing. Have you ever done this on the XT6. What problems could I run into.
I think the XT6 is a hell of a car and a real blast to drive. Fortunately, mine is not cursed by the rust demon so I expect to keep it for quite a while.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 04-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
Congratulations!

When you get the XT6 moving, you'll have to drive it up and show Amy that it really does run

Doug
Is that an invitation?
I drove it for about 10 miles yesterday to get everything freed up after sitting for so long. Even after that, the tires are still flat spotted but I'm hoping this won't be permanent cause they're relatively new.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 04-27-2003, 04:25 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Now I know you guys like those cars, but I hafta say before I bought the SVX, I thought the XT6 was the ugliest car on the planet.

Now that I am a registered Subaholic, I have changed my view on this. I still think it is the ugliest car ever to be released [closely followed by the Delorean] but there is probably a reason under that uninspiring skin why people like them.

Joe
Now come on Joe!!!
I would definately not call the XT6 ugly. And uninspiring?????
I think youv'e been sipping too much Jamesons
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 04-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

XT6

Quote:

Joe
Come on now that hurts! Have you ever looked at a Lotus Elcat? I always thought they were kinda homely til I got one. Now I catch myself staring at her lines a little more than I thought I would. Not sure if thats a good thing or not .

Congrats on getting the XT to make noise Colin! Having never done 1/2 axles on an XT I will say it can't be that much different than the axles for a EA82 (so its worth a shot!). As for the pan gasket thats another story. I've done 2 on an EA81 and an EA82. Ended up taking both to a garage to get regasketed. I just couldn't get the hang of it. Can't remember if it was the EA81 or 82 but one of them you kinda had to lift the engine an inch or so to get to the back pan bolts. Personally I'd let a shop do it and do the axles yourself.

Again, Congrats! When's the next XT meet?
Old 04-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

Joe
To be honest Joe, I used to think that the XT's were ugly too....but they kind of grow on you, the cockpit, is one of those things that gets you hooked, once you get past how different everything is laid out...it's all perfectly placed.
And they had the lowest coefficient of drag ( 0.29) at it’s time of release (1984) and I believe held it till the SVX came out.

Joe, you owe it to yourself to find one and drive it for a day, then let me know what you think about them

Quote:
Huck, some questions:
1. I want to replace the oil pan gasket, but it looks like quite a job. What do you think.
2. Like I said, the front driveshafts need replacing. Have you ever done this on the XT6. What problems could I run into.
I think the XT6 is a hell of a car and a real blast to drive. Fortunately, mine is not cursed by the rust demon so I expect to keep it for quite a while.
[/B]
Colin, I'll try to field your questions

1. The Oil pan Gasket will be hard to do with the motor in the car, as you can’t drop the pan enough to clear the oil pick up tube. Are you sure it’s the oil pan gasket, as the valve cover gaskets are bad to start leaking when they get some age on them (just replaced mine cost ($35 at a local parts place), this fixed 90% of my oil leaks. Also a problem gasket is the oil pump o-ring, which could easily be mistaken for a bad oil pan gasket, and can be changed in the car relatively easily .

2. The front Axles come out just like the SVX, so if you’ve done them on your SVX it’s pretty much the same. If you haven’t done them the only thing unusual you’ll need is a punch to knock out the roll pin in the axle.

I agree on them being a blast to drive, I enjoy driving my XT6 around town better than my SVX…but out on the open road the SVX wins...hands down
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"