Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 AM
mmm, hotcakes!!

Registered SVX
Swaping from OBDII to OBDI

Hi all, I've been pouring over the FSM's for the 97 and 92 SVX's lately, in an effort to revert my 97 to OBDI when I do my 6-speed swap. My main goals are to not have a false check engine light for the TCU, and to possibly install a chip in the future. It seems like just about everything matches up between the ECUs, except for the "induction control solenoid valve". I know this controls the IRIS valve, here's the issue: the 97 manual says when the ECU commands ON, it receives 12V, and OFF 0V; the 92 manual says when commanded ON 0V, and OFF 12V. Does anyone know if they used 2 different solenoid valves between the OBDI & II, or if it is as simple as switching the vacuum hose connections at the solenoid? I think putting a relay between the solenoid and ECU to invert the signal to the solenoid would work, I would just like to know if there is a difference. If someone has a better way of keeping the CEL off from a false TCU code, I would be open to that as well. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by required; 07-30-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM
mmm, hotcakes!!

Registered SVX
Re: Swaping from OBDII to OBDI

Could anyone with a 92 just disconnect their iris control solenoid connector, stock a voltage meter in there & turn the key on to "run" and tell me what the voltage is? You wouldn't even have to start it. I checked mine yesterday with the manifold and everything installed, just used some bent needle nose pliers and a screwdriver to unhook the connector, stuck 2 little wires in, clamped the meter to it, turned on the key and got battery voltage without the engine running. I did find out that the solenoid valves between the years are the same valve and same part numbers. The 92 manual says that those cars won't have voltage with the key on, and I just want to confirm that. Thanks in advance

Last edited by required; 07-30-2017 at 05:14 PM.

Tags
iris, obd1, obd2