How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Registered SVX
Security System problems

My security system hasn't worked since I bought my car. So, today I took out the glove box, and the security box was just floating around in there, not even bolted down. It was also unplugged. I plugged it in to see if it works, and it was clicking repedatively. I didn't even have the ground connected and it was clicking. Nothing changed when I did attach the ground wire. I also noticed that my parking lights where all on when the box was plugged in. When I turn the ignition on, it stops clicking and the lights go off.

I want to be able to use my security system again, so I can get an aftermarket keyless entry fab.

1. Is my box bad? Or is the black wire not a ground and needs to be connected elswhere and/or does the box need to be attached so it is grounded as well?

2. Does anyone have a good one they are willing to part with?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Security System.jpg (236.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Security System (1).jpg (263.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Security System (2).jpg (243.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Security System (3).jpg (135.9 KB, 101 views)

1995 Lexus SC400- Lexta Z
Old 05-15-2010, 07:50 PM

Re: Security System problems

Quick answer, the black wire is the anntenai I think.
the clicking is waiting for reprograming I think, sorry thats all I know I think I know???..G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX

There is something inside of the box that rattles when you shake it. Sounds like it's broken. Is that normal? It was disconnected when I got the car and just sitting in an open space to the right(passanger side) of the glovebox opening, so obviously some had been in there to unplug and un-mount it from where it should have been.

I plugged it in for over 5 minutes and it was still clicking, so I'm not sure that the click is it programming. Also, my parking lights were on the whole time it was plugged in. Even with the ignition off. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It was disconnected when I got the car, so obviously some had been in there to unplug and un-mount it from where it should have been.

Where does the antena wire go? I don't even know where it is supposed to mount at. So, I don't know where to start looking for the connection. Also, the wire looks like it was ripped out at the base of where ever it was hooked up to.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Registered SVX

the black wire is the antenna. It doesnt hook to anything, it just dangles, hangs there.
Have you ever seen a RC car? Same principal as the receiver for servos....just a wire. got it.

its probably same as mine. Original went DEAD like they all do on the 92's. I ripped it out, installed my "used" one, not fastening it in case it was dead too. I just left my second one hanging too since its dead, not use putting time and effort into mounting if no worky.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 05-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
the black wire is the antenna. It doesnt hook to anything, it just dangles, hangs there.
Have you ever seen a RC car? Same principal as the receiver for servos....just a wire. got it.

its probably same as mine. Original went DEAD like they all do on the 92's. I ripped it out, installed my "used" one, not fastening it in case it was dead too. I just left my second one hanging too since its dead, not use putting time and effort into mounting if no worky.
Got it! Thanks, very useful information. Anyone have a functional one, for cheap? Sounds like they don't last long or wouldn't last long if I get one.

You said 92's always go out. Are the other year cars boxes better and the same? Do you suggest getting one that is just not a 92 model?

Do we need the functional box to hook up an aftermarket security system in our cars? I might go aftermarket.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadedOne View Post
Got it! Thanks, very useful information. Anyone have a functional one, for cheap? Sounds like they don't last long or wouldn't last long if I get one.

You said 92's always go out. Are the other year cars boxes better and the same? Do you suggest getting one that is just not a 92 model?

Do we need the functional box to hook up an aftermarket security system in our cars? I might go aftermarket.
The one in my silver works perfect and has ever since I bought it.
You shouldn't need one if you just plan on going aftermarket.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
The one in my silver works perfect and has ever since I bought it.
You shouldn't need one if you just plan on going aftermarket.
Did you buy it new or used? How much? Where from?

Old 05-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Did you buy it new or used? How much? Where from?
Ahh, bad wording Ever since I bought my silver the security system has worked perfectly. (about a year and a half)
I did sell a used one some time ago and as far as I know it has worked fine for him. That was about 10 months ago I believe if thats any consolation. (also out of a 92)
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
There is something inside of the box that rattles when you shake it. Sounds like it's broken. Is that normal?
No. Go ahead and carefully open the case -- it just snaps open (no screws). See what's rattling. Whatever it is, it probably doesn't need to be in there any more

There are some how-to docs floating around with diagrams showing where the module should be bolted to your car. It doesn't look like those docs are in the new "How-To Docs" sub-forums yet. Here's a link to the old folders.

Quote:
I plugged it in for over 5 minutes and it was still clicking, so I'm not sure that the click is it programming.
What gbianchi means is the module was waiting for you to 'teach' it your keyless transmitters. But there is a procedure that requires pressing the "Security" button on the dash too. Subaru's instructions are posted in the above folder.

Quote:
Also, my parking lights were on the whole time it was plugged in. Even with the ignition off.
Were they on solid, or flashing? The module will flash them briefly when you arm and disarm. It will flash them for a longer period when it has been tripped or there's an error condition.

There is a relay inside the module that flashes the parking lights. That has failed in some modules. Theoretically, it could get stuck "on". But I would think you wouldn't hear anything clicking then.

Quote:
Also, the wire looks like it was ripped out at the base of where ever it was hooked up to.
The free end of the wire should be a clean cut. Perhaps the tip got frayed over years of flopping around inside your dash?

BTW, I have the matching 17-pin connector that will make installing an aftermarket alarm much easier. I've also found the 4-pin harness that will make installing a trunk release solenoid much easier. E-mail me for more info.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 PM

My 92 pearl is also working fine as of today, oh oh fingers crossing hoping for more life. I only use it when out in the world. My 92 silver is in an unknown condition as the security light does not light up when pressed, still have to tear into that one when it sops raining............G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.