Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
1st one red, 2nd one black

Question ferromagnetic materials, some help please

Hey boys and girls...........

Did anyone see on TV in the not too distant past a demonstration of ferromagnetic fluids by using two syringes attached at the tips (no needles) with some ferromagnetic fluids inside, and they showed that one could move the two plungers back and forth, moving the fluid from one side to the other of the syringe, with ease. But, by placing a small magnet in the center, the fluid in effect became solid and the two plungers became rigid? I need to know if anyone knows where I can find a syringe like that, oh, I know I could probable glue two together, cobble up some fluid (utube has tons of demos) but I wonder if anyone knows of a science supply house (for lack of a better term) where I could get one?*
Got a kid coming to the 'ol library in a few days and he is trying to learn about this stuff and I thought this would help. I already have reached out to other library for ILL's (Inter Library Loans) and those are coming but I thought the syringe thing would be way cool.....

and yes, the someone has this concept on shock absorbers now which just is amazing, no?

thanks
bruce

* way back in the 60's, didn't an outfit named Edmonds Scientific have a subscription thing where every month you got a little science experiment in a small blue box? I'm almost 58 years old so memory is a fading thing.
bcb

found this just now............http://www.electronics-related.com/u...ow/63679-1.php

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.

Last edited by blackbolt94red; 01-26-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: more searching..........
Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM

Registered SVX
Re: ferromagnetic materials, some help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbolt94red View Post
Hey boys and girls...........

Did anyone see on TV in the not too distant past a demonstration of ferromagnetic fluids -------------------- I wonder if anyone knows of a science supply house (for lack of a better term) where I could get one?*

thanks bruce
Kia ora Bruce,

I do not think you will be able to purchase anything ready made. Get hold of a couple of syringes, remove the plungers and cut off the needle fitting ends. Then glue together the two flat surfaces presented by the finger grip ends. After refitting the plungers in the reverse direction, you will be in business.

The experiment you are involved with is poles apart.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

The vet sells syringes, I have to squirt meds down my cats throat every day.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbolt94red View Post
* way back in the 60's, didn't an outfit named Edmonds Scientific have a subscription thing where every month you got a little science experiment in a small blue box?
Don't know about the subscription thing, but they are still around:

http://scientificsonline.com/

I buy stuff from them for my grandkids; most recently a rock tumbler.

dcb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: