How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Hater

Droid

anyone get this phone? its pretty sweet - the GPS is awesome and i'm looking forward to messing with the "GTech-style" dyno app with my car when i get some free time. i'm coming from a Motorola RAZR - i put my previous phone in washing machine, so i had to use the RAZR for last 4 months :angry:

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 11-12-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Droid

That looks a very good phone Alan. I heard my son talking about them [he's the geeky game playing generation ] but we don't get them here yet.

A month ago I changed to an iPhone from a Nokia E51. The Nokia actually had more business usable features, but the screen was so small it felt you were browsing the internet on a postage stamp.

For that reason alone I moved to the iPhone. I need to be actually able to read the emails, not just receive them It does most things wonderfully well, a few things not so good. It does certain things that actually "surprise and delight", but in particular I suppose it does email and internet in a faultless way, and that's why I bought it.

Fit for purpose.

I notice your Droid has the benefit of a pull out keyboard. If that was available here, I'd have it. There is actually a new Nokia that has a keyboard like that and the bigger screen which I liked, but no way was I paying the money they were asking. Next year they'll be giving them away with a contract, I can wait.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

I do not have that "Droid" but I do have the t-mobile G1 and can say I enjoy it much more then a blackberry. There are a ton of apps and runs great. You can't go wrong... did I mention you can run more then one app (vs. Iphones app). Cannot comment on GPS as I use my GPS unit.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
That looks a very good phone Alan. I heard my son talking about them [he's the geeky game playing generation ] but we don't get them here yet.

A month ago I changed to an iPhone from a Nokia E51. The Nokia actually had more business usable features, but the screen was so small it felt you were browsing the internet on a postage stamp.

For that reason alone I moved to the iPhone. I need to be actually able to read the emails, not just receive them It does most things wonderfully well, a few things not so good. It does certain things that actually "surprise and delight", but in particular I suppose it does email and internet in a faultless way, and that's why I bought it.

Fit for purpose.

I notice your Droid has the benefit of a pull out keyboard. If that was available here, I'd have it. There is actually a new Nokia that has a keyboard like that and the bigger screen which I liked, but no way was I paying the money they were asking. Next year they'll be giving them away with a contract, I can wait.

Joe

i seriously considered switching to AT&T a while ago to get an iPhone, but now i'm glad i didn't. i have an iPod Touch (iPhone without the "phone"), and can say i like the Droid better. the only downside i can see is that there aren't as many games for it, but if i REALLY need to play solitaire or fishing, i can just use the iPod.

the screen size and resolution are better than the iPhone - its very nice for teh internets. this is the first cell phone i've actually paid money for in the last 11 years.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

i hope to get one cheap on 13 march 2010 from a verizon reseller.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 AM

I just picked up a Samsung Moment, which is Sprint's new Android phone. I absolutely LOVE it. It has the slide out keyboard, which the HTC Hero lacked, and the Android OS absolutely blows Blackberry and Windows Mobile away. Only complaint I have is the battery life. Overall, its a great phone.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

I beta tested the droid software a few months back. I was exceptionally unimpressed though. It doesn't do anything that a windows mobile phone does not, and windows mobile has been out longer, so there's more out there for it. Plus, it's completely incompatible with any sort of proprietary software.

I myself have a Touch Pro2 by Verizon, and it is an awesome phone. It does gps just like you listed, I completely customized my desktop to display exactly what i need, shortcuts to mail, txt, vm, missed calls, important apps, displays time, calendar and my upcoming appointments. it's currently tethered via bt to my bt headset streaming xm radio via an xm radio app that is installed. I can start wifi sharing, which makes it a wireless access point to share it's broadband with anything in wireless range. i blue tooth to share files with my pc, can remote desktop into my home computer with an 800x480 resolution, which also makes web browsing and pretty much everything wonderfully easy.

While the android software may be able to do this stuff in time, it can't do it now, which is when I need it. I need my email, my txt, my calls, right now, all the time, for business reasons. stereo bt headset to listen to xm radio in my office allows me to take my music literally anywhere. it has a 3.5mm jack so i can plug in headphones, or hook it up to my home theater system to play music through that. I can display excel worksheets, PowerPoint presentations, and word documents, to review before approving and sending on, if i'm not in front of my computer. and then there's the facebook app too.

Before you discount WinMO look at what it can really do. Sure if you're still on a Mogul it's a bit dated, but the TP2 has revolutionized phones. The Touch HD and Touch HD2 are also nice phones that are slimmer but lack the keyboard.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!

Last edited by JaySVX; 11-12-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:20 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I was going to get the touch pro 2 but it was too expensive on sprint. I ended up with the palm pre which is a decent phone for multitasking and GPS. It also allows sybchronization of more than one exchange account. So far I'm disappointed in the app support,so my next phone will possibly be powered. I can't see myself going with a windows mobile phone anymore. I'm so used to not haviing to reboot my phone daily.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 11-12-2009, 03:29 PM

I had the Touch Pro on Sprint. I loved the phone but I guess I kept getting bad units because I went through 3 in just over a year. Once was a software problem and twice it was a hardware issue. So now I've got a BB Tour which is nice but I still miss my TouchPro. I would have tried the Touch Pro 2 if they had any in stock but I needed a smartphone NOW. And here I was just 1 1/2 months from my contract being up and I couldnt afford to buy the phone outright like I like to do.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:50 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I do not have that "Droid" but I do have the t-mobile G1 and can say I enjoy it much more then a blackberry. There are a ton of apps and runs great. You can't go wrong... did I mention you can run more then one app (vs. Iphones app). Cannot comment on GPS as I use my GPS unit.
Jailbreak and all is right with the world.
Backgrounder and XGPS

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 11-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Jailbreak and all is right with the world.
Backgrounder and XGPS
O yeah, in do time I am going to jailbreak it. I honestly love my android software. There are apps for almost everything . Some folks are stuck on windows OS

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 11-12-2009, 06:29 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
I beta tested the droid software a few months back. I was exceptionally unimpressed though. It doesn't do anything that a windows mobile phone does not, and windows mobile has been out longer, so there's more out there for it. Plus, it's completely incompatible with any sort of proprietary software.
Windows isn't even compatible with itself! i shudder to think what WinMobile is like.

Quote:
I myself have a Touch Pro2 by Verizon, and it is an awesome phone. It does gps just like you listed, I completely customized my desktop to display exactly what i need, shortcuts to mail, txt, vm, missed calls, important apps, displays time, calendar and my upcoming appointments. it's currently tethered via bt to my bt headset streaming xm radio via an xm radio app that is installed. I can start wifi sharing, which makes it a wireless access point to share it's broadband with anything in wireless range. i blue tooth to share files with my pc, can remote desktop into my home computer with an 800x480 resolution, which also makes web browsing and pretty much everything wonderfully easy.

While the android software may be able to do this stuff in time, it can't do it now, which is when I need it. I need my email, my txt, my calls, right now, all the time, for business reasons. stereo bt headset to listen to xm radio in my office allows me to take my music literally anywhere. it has a 3.5mm jack so i can plug in headphones, or hook it up to my home theater system to play music through that. I can display excel worksheets, PowerPoint presentations, and word documents, to review before approving and sending on, if i'm not in front of my computer. and then there's the facebook app too.
Android has all that, except for the XM, which i wouldn't use anyway.

Quote:
Before you discount WinMO look at what it can really do. Sure if you're still on a Mogul it's a bit dated, but the TP2 has revolutionized phones. The Touch HD and Touch HD2 are also nice phones that are slimmer but lack the keyboard.
take your WinMO and GTFO of mah thread!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

I imagine Pandora will soon be available for the Android OS. Just as much w1n.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 11-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I imagine Pandora will soon be available for the Android OS. Just as much w1n.

already is.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: