How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-13-2002, 01:19 PM
NickF

Question Newbie technical questions

Just bought my first SVX (1992 LS) and have several questions. I did a little research first, and the car I bought had new front rotors about 10,000 miles ago, and a rebuilt '96 tranny in April. I've already scheduled for rear bearings in about 2 weeks. I do, however have a list of smaller things I need advice on fixing

However I have three main questions:

1. The antenna mast is broken off flush at the base. When I power the radio on and off I can hear the antenna motor running, so I think it's good. What are the odds that I can just replace the mast itself, or are there other parts inside (the track, etc.) that will force me to replace the whole antenna/motor assembly?

2. The driver's door window switch needs to be replaced (of course.) I need directions on how to get the door panel off and back on again so I can replace that $135 switch myself.

3. The right front window doesn't open or close from wither the driver's switch or the passenger door switch. Any opinions on whether it's
a. a bad switch on the right side,
b. related to the problems with the left side switch, or
c. a bad motor.

And how might I find out which it is?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick
Old 09-13-2002, 01:44 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Newbie technical questions

Quote:
Originally posted by NickF
Just bought my first SVX (1992 LS) and have several questions. I did a little research first, and the car I bought had new front rotors about 10,000 miles ago, and a rebuilt '96 tranny in April. I've already scheduled for rear bearings in about 2 weeks. I do, however have a list of smaller things I need advice on fixing

However I have three main questions:

1. The antenna mast is broken off flush at the base. When I power the radio on and off I can hear the antenna motor running, so I think it's good. What are the odds that I can just replace the mast itself, or are there other parts inside (the track, etc.) that will force me to replace the whole antenna/motor assembly?

Someone just recently posted a how-to with pictures. If you click on the technical questions forum, it should still be close enough to the top not to be buried.

2. The driver's door window switch needs to be replaced (of course.) I need directions on how to get the door panel off and back on again so I can replace that $135 switch myself.

The door comes off easily. Two screws toward the A pillar that are obvious. Two screws beneath the felt liner in the door rest well area. One screw behind the removable panel in the door handle. Remove the screws, grasp the panel at the back bottom corner and pull. The fasteners will pop right out. Carful not to pull so hard that you damage the wiring. Once the panel has been popped off from the bottom, lift straight up to release the weather strip at the top, from over the lip. Unplug the wires, and you're good to go.

3. The right front window doesn't open or close from wither the driver's switch or the passenger door switch. Any opinions on whether it's
a. a bad switch on the right side,
b. related to the problems with the left side switch, or
c. a bad motor.

Check and see if the motor is running, after you've replaced the switch. If you hear it running when you press the switch, then it's the little plastic clip that holds the cable to the window. If you don't hear the motor running, it could be a couple of things: the motor's bad, or, there is corrosion in the connection. Take care of your first problems first, then, come back and let us know what you discovered on the pass'r's side window, and we can work it out from there.

And how might I find out which it is?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-13-2002, 03:10 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Nick

There is an antenna on ebay righ now. Here is the link to it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1858260224 Good Luck

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 09-13-2002, 04:26 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

I followed the antenna how-to and it's very clear and correct. The only additions I can make are:

1. Be VERY careful if you're poking around inside the antenna shaft (the metal tube that fastens to the motor). The contacts in there are about the same shape as a paper match, but a little smaller - if you put anything in the shaft, don't twist it, the contacts will catch and may bend or break (I bent both and broke one).

2. If you dissassemble the whole assembly, take a scribe or other pointy object and make some marks on the shaft and housing so you put it back together the same way.

Good luck!
2001 Outback Sport
Old 09-13-2002, 05:57 PM
NickF

Thanks for the help, everyone.

I had already printed out the instructions on how to remove the mast before I posted this; what I was a little concerned about was that there are other pieces I might need that don't come with the mast. In other words, just because the motor works I can't assume that I still won't need to replace the whole thing (I'd rather not.)

My question about the antenna was because the dealer quoted me $56 for the mast itself. I'm willing to pay that. I just didn't want to buy the mast, then find out that there are additional things I'd have to buy.

My plan is to follow the instructions and remove the whole unit; then I can see what I need. I'm assuming at this point that the cable is part of the mast assembly. I once had a 1970 240Z, and the whole antenna unit was a single assembly; if the mast broke you had to replace the while unit. In 1971 it cost me $100!

I'm probably going to do the window switch next weekend. I'm thinking about replacing the door speakers at the same time, while I have it apart.

Nick
Old 09-13-2002, 09:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
Re: Newbie technical questions

Quote:

Nick
Welcome to the club, Nick.
I had exactly the same problem with my antenna after it was broken at the car wash place. It is working perfectly fine now after I replaced the mast. If you still hear the motor running, then, you don't need the whole assembly. All you need to replace is the mast and you can buy it from 1stsubaruparts.com for $35.96 plus S&H. It will come with the white coil inside the metal. Call them at 800-650-4036 and you'll get it usually in less than a week.

http://1stsubaruparts.com/partscat.html

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".

Last edited by vzSvx; 09-13-2002 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:04 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

I'm probably going to do the window switch next weekend. I'm thinking about replacing the door speakers at the same time, while I have it apart.

Nick
You're in for a surprise if you think you're going to do a straight bolt-up on the speakers. They're welded to their own brackets. You can drill out the small welds (six of them, I think), and if you get Sony X-plods, they'll bolt into the holes. I got some Jensen 3-ways for the "evil twin" and they didn't bolt in. I had to improvise.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-13-2002, 11:21 PM
NickF

Thanks for the information and link for 1st Subaru Parts. I checked out the price for a window switch and it's a bunch cheaper than the dealer quote, but all I could find for an antenna listing was the whole assembly. Do have a part name or number, or did they quit carrying the mast alone?

Never mind; I found it. That's a really good site for parts!

Last edited by NickF; 09-13-2002 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
Quote:
Thanks for the information and link for 1st Subaru Parts. I checked out the price for a window switch and it's a bunch cheaper than the dealer quote, but all I could find for an antenna listing was the whole assembly. Do have a part name or number, or did they quit carrying the mast alone?

Never mind; I found it. That's a really good site for parts!
YES, I agree...and if there were parts I needed that were not listed on their site, I just called them and they were able to help me. So far, I am pleased with the service. Good luck on your car.

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 09-15-2002, 10:36 AM
sneedsvx

where is the INTAKE TEMPERATURE SENSOR located ? and does anybody have in detail how to do the cold air intake mod

-chris
Old 09-15-2002, 10:39 AM
sneedsvx

i just bought the timing advance mod kit on ebay and was wondering if anybody tried it or heard if it worked or not
Old 09-15-2002, 01:27 PM
Boone

It's been the consensus around here that the ebay "tweaks and gizmos" seen lately are worthless and possibly damaging to your impeccable SVX.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:36 PM
sneedsvx

really? hey thats I wouldn't wanna hurt my baby