Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Looking4aSVX

I'm in the market for and SVX. I have some questions. Thanks.

Well I'm just totally intrigued by this car. I went to drive a couple of them today the motor and shifting action seems very smooth. Especially since both were 1992s with 166k miles and 90k miles. I have some questions though.

1.) Which years and models came without those automatic seatbelts?

2.) Is the steering wheel tilt being really high, low or really low normal? I couldn't get it to go in between. Please tell me something isn't right about that. However both the cars I drove had that same problem.

3.) What are some sure signs that the tranny is going out?

Thanks.

Hehehe, the sales person knew nothing about the car... I bet they didn't even think of ever referring a customer to it. I told them that it was a 3.3 L 230 HP engine and they were like ?!?!?!?!HAHA!!! It was quite entertaining. They didn't even know what a flat 6 was. SVX is quite a well kept secret in the car market. I loved how smooth it rode and quiet the car was.
Old 05-05-2002, 09:35 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I'll answer all your questions in the morning, in the mean time, check my site out for more info on some of your SVX questions.

http://www.stars-gazer.com/~svx/

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-06-2002, 12:07 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Here's another site that will answer these and other questions you may have:

The SVX FAQ:
http://home.mgfairfax.rr.com/svx/faq/
Old 05-06-2002, 09:18 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: I'm in the market for and SVX. I have some questions. Thanks.

<<1.) Which years and models came without those automatic seatbelts?>>

I think the auto seat belts are only for 92/3 and some 94 modles only. My later model 94L does not come with the auto seat belts.

<<2.) Is the steering wheel tilt being really high, low or really low normal? I couldn't get it to go in between. Please tell me something isn't right about that. However both the cars I drove had that same problem.>>

You can position your steering in 3 positions. Up, down, in, out. You seem to be using the memory feture on the steering. There are 3 levers on the steering column. One is used for pulling in/out your wheel. The other is the memory feature and the last one is the fine tuning of the steering for up/down.

<.) What are some sure signs that the tranny is going out?>>

Check the tranny fluid and see if it is partially red. If it is it's usually good. If it is brown or has dirt in them, watch out. Also when driving, you can feel it slipping. Watch your RPMs as you change gear/speed.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-06-2002, 01:25 PM
gcookaustin

Make note of the 2-3 gear shift especially. I think that if there was a problem there that it would surface under normal or hard acceleration. My SVX does some weird thing where if you accelerate from a stop and go down hill with the gas pedal only lightly applied, the RPMs flare up and then drop back down but I don't know what that is. Anyway...

Oh, the brakes shouldn't vibrate either.

After purhcasing, you'll wanna clean the bumpers that keep the driver's and passenger's windows in place so they don't get too dirty and scratch the glass (it's easy to do; even I can do it).

Run the temp as low as possible to check the A/C. Try to drive on a hot day if possible because the air won't come out colder than 65 degrees.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:28 PM
gcookaustin

Oh, also if it's a '92 you should look under the car in front of the driver's side front wheel for a black cylindrical filter between some hoses going between the radiator and transmission. I don't think not having the filter itself is a problem (Mine never had the recall and the trans is doing fine), but you'll probably at least need the hoses that came with the kit since the ones initially came on the car didn't fit properly. The kit is only like $15-20.