SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2004, 02:07 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
troubleshooting airbag errors

As part of my 5MT swap, the airbag connector on the steering column was disconnected when the steering column was removed to get at the firewall. After reassembly, the airbag light is lit up on the dash when the car is running. I checked the airbag fault codes, and its reading code 11 (Fuse #8 blown, faulty control unit, open circuit in main or body harness) and code 12 (Roll connector circuit is open, faulty CU, open circuit in main or module harness). I've disconnected and reconnected the airbag connector several times, checked the airbag fuses, and tried clearing the codes, but the error codes persist. Any suggestions on where I can do to fix the airbag errors?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Maybe one of the connectors isn't making connection? Would it make sense to check continuity across each wire int the connector? With the car off of course. I am thinking that is the only thing you touched. Right? This could be done by inserting a small wire along the wire for the connector to be tested on both sides of the connector.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:35 PM
sans SVX

John, I figured out the problem. The electrical ribbon cable in the steering column was accidentally snapped during the 5-speed conversion. I've managed to solder it back together without causing the airbag to deploy when I reenergized the system. :-)

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
John, I figured out the problem. The electrical ribbon cable in the steering column was accidentally snapped during the 5-speed conversion. I've managed to solder it back together without causing the airbag to deploy when I reenergized the system. :-)
Any pictures of this ribbon or are you able to clue me into this ribbon that got ripped???I have a airbag light that is throwing a code 12 and when i turned my wheel to the left the wheel gets real hard and i just heard a click from turning to the left so i wonder if i just popped the wire???Also how do you know when the wheel is at TDC and not rotated too many time???I ask b/c the steering column and knuckle came loose on me on the way home before i got the kinks worked out and the wheel was turned many times both directions so i have no clue what i need to do to get it back to where it needs to be. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:28 PM
sans SVX

Sounds like you snapped the ribbon cable. If the ribbon cable is broken, neither the horn nor the cruise control will work. There are some pictures in my locker. If it snapped in about the same location that mine did, it should be fixable. If it snapped anywhere in the winding, I don't think it will be fixable. If you think the ribbon cable is broken, the next step is to pull off the steering wheel. You'll need a T-30 *security* torquxs bit and a 17 mm socket to remove the steering wheel. Park the car with the tires pointed straight ahead, and disconnect the negative terminal of the battery before you start the dissasembly. Let the car sit a few minutes to be certain the the airbag capacitor has discharged. The torqux screws are on the side of the steering wheel behind some plastic covers. Once you remove those, the airbag will lift off the steering wheel. Disconnect the electrical connections and put the airbag somewhere outside the car.

Now have a look at the code shown in the little plastic window. If the tires are pointed straight ahead, the code should read "center". The other codes that you might see are "2L", "1L", "1R", and "2R" which mean 2 turns to the left, 1 turn to the left, etc. If you see none of those, then you are more than that out of range. Since you said the steering wheel became hard to turn to the left, I'm guessing you'll see either 1L, 2L, or out of range. (Mine read "2R". You can see it in picture 01 in my locker.)

If the code is anything but "center", then the ribbon cable is very likely busted. There is one more check you can perform to determine if the ribbon cable is broken before removing the assembly. Remove the bottom dash trim panel on the driver's side. Then remove the metal plate under the steering column that is secured by four 10 mm/philips bolts. You'll see several connectors. There will be one black connector with three wires going out. It sits below the plane of the other connectors. This connector has the lead wires for the cruise control and horn. Pull the connector, and then do a continuity test between the connector there and the connector at the steering wheel. The wiring colors are preserved between the two connectors. All three of the wires should have continuity.

If you're satisfied that the ribbon cable is broken, then the wiring assembly as to be removed and either fixed or replaced. Remove the 17 mm nut and washer holding the steering wheel to the steering shaft. Match mark the steering wheel to the steering shaft. Make sure the tires are still pointed straight ahead, and then rock (push/pull not rotate) the steering wheel to get it to come loose. You'll then have to remove the plastic and metal plating surrounding the steering column. Once that's all removed, then the wiring assembly can be removed. There are a few screws holding it in place on the column, and there is one lever that needs to pressed at the black plastic box underneath the steering column.

Once the assembly is removed, the pics in my locker explain most everything else. IIRC, the ribbon cable is wound clockwise. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Visit my locker

Old 04-27-2004, 03:47 PM

much appreciated..Ill try the cruise out right now since im leaving and try the others tomorrow after school. Thanks for the thourough reply. Hopefully its not busted.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:30 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
much appreciated..Ill try the cruise out right now since im leaving and try the others tomorrow after school. Thanks for the thourough reply. Hopefully its not busted.
Don't forget to try the horn too.

Visit my locker

Old 04-27-2004, 08:45 PM

no horn or fuse, guess that pop i heard was the cord....Looks like ill be pulling the wheel i guess...Is there any chance the bag could pop on me while im driving If so is there something i can disconnect till then??(more than likely thurs. would be the earliest.)Im going to have a look in your locker right now and look at those pics. Thanks again for the help this far.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:12 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
no horn or fuse, guess that pop i heard was the cord....Looks like ill be pulling the wheel i guess...Is there any chance the bag could pop on me while im driving If so is there something i can disconnect till then??(more than likely thurs. would be the earliest.)Im going to have a look in your locker right now and look at those pics. Thanks again for the help this far.
Depending on where the ribbon cable broke, there is a chance the airbag could be set off. The easiest way to disable the airbag would be to pull the airbag fuse in the fuse box under the dash. It would probably be good to disconnect the battery before doing it.

Visit my locker