Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-03-2004, 03:29 PM
nnjsvx

Question Replacing Rear MainSeal - D0 I do the trans?

Looks like I will be replacing the rear main seal on my 94LSI with 119,000 miles. Leak is starting to get worse and I want to stay ahead of it. I have had a lot of other work done and will keep the car up and running as long as I can. This is my 3rd SVX. My wife and I love this car.

Local Dealer wants $1,225 and I am going to shop around. My understanding is that they will need to drop engine or trans to do it.

What else can or should be done at the same time as there is a lot of labor just to get at it?

I was wondering if I should do the trans or not. I am not having slippage or anything just an occasional "clunk" when going from Park into Reverse quickly and vice versa going from Drive to Park. Almost as if car wants to roll forward and rear raises up to push over a very low curb stone. I know adding the trans to this is a big money jump but am not sure how much double labor is involved and the likelihood of a trans coming gets higher everyday.

I bought the car last May and expected to do a trans, brakes and paint job, plus maintenance. I have done the rotors, brakes, front struts, stabilizer links, temp sensor, new knock sensors, complete paint job including rims recoated, new Panasonic Double DIN, door speakers, AVS db S4s, and every maintenace you can name. The trans and cats are the only big things left after the main seal.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Replacing Rear MainSeal - D0 I do the trans?

Quote:
Originally posted by nnjsvx

I was wondering if I should do the trans or not. I am not having slippage or anything just an occasional "clunk" when going from Park into Reverse quickly and vice versa going from Drive to Park.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Check the transmission mount. This is often the cause of clunking when changing gears.

Todd