Get the 1 yr option 0 0%
Get the 2 yr option 15 75.00%
Don't get either 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2003, 11:43 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Cottman Transmission

I had my transmission rebuilt by Cottman Transmission almost a year ago. The original warranty is almost up and I was wondering if I should buy the extended warranty so I went to check out their site (which I thought was http://www.cottmantransmissions.com). Well it turns out that site is a fairly recent site about all the problems people have had with their work. While their are no complaints for the Cottman in Flemington that did my transmission, I'm a lil scared. After the job was first done there was a slight leak, but I brought it back in and it was fixed within 30 mins. I've had no other problems since and have put about 8k on it. On the real site (http://www.cottman.com) I can extend my warranty for $189 for 1 yr/12k miles or $389 2 yrs/34k miles. What do you people think I should do?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Extended Warranty

Hi Steve, On a good day you might break even. I know, never say break when talking about a SVX tranny. As a rule the only guy making out is the seller. In two years something goes wrong and you spend 3 or 4 hundred bucks your home free. I wouldn't think you would need to bebuild the whole tranny. In the mean time you had the money and the profit or fun from it, which ever comes first. Take care, BOBB
Old 11-24-2003, 01:07 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Well I was the first person to vote for the 2 year option... But after thinking about it, I would go over that limit of 34k miles within the first year so it would be no good for me... If you drive your car hard I think I would do it, either that or just spend that money on a really big tranny cooler from Boxer4Racing.com.... They have some good ones there...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 11-24-2003, 01:30 PM
No longer blue member

Yeah, I only put on about 10-12k a year, so I wouldn't be going over either limit.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-24-2003, 06:32 PM
No longer blue member

C'mon, 53 views and only 4 votes? Not helping all too much here.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
I paid an extra grand for a 4yr unlimited mile warrenty for mine, so can you tell which I voted for. When you own a car thats always "when" and not "if", I'd go with the safe option, then drive it like you stole it.

Right now I'm trying to blow mine within the next 3yrs 7mos, so I can try to get the warrenty company to do a 5spd4free for me.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 12-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Scottsubarus

The warranty you purchase will only be as good as the Cottman you purchase it from, if its just a continuation of the origonal warranty. The Cottman that did the origonal work is the one that backs the warranty.....not Cottman the corporation. Each Cottman is an INDEPENDENTLY owned store. IF that cottman goes out of business.....your screwed! BUT if the warranty extension is part of a service contract that is held by a service contract company (insurance company) you might be a little better off.....unless they too go out of business.

If anyone gets major transmission work done IE rebuilt, make sure the shop is ATRA certified, it protects YOU the consumer a little better if the origonal shop goes belly up!

I work for a major transmission remanufacturer in the midwest, and have seen more than one Cottman go under and the consumer get jerked around when warranty work was needed.

Scott
Omaha
Old 12-22-2003, 02:01 PM
No longer blue member

The Runaround

According to the website I can purchase the warranty as long as the car is still under the original warranty (which it is). I went into the Cottman where my rebuild was done, they said they no longer sell an extended warranty. So I called the Cottman hotline, the person who answered the phone was a moron and connected me to three different people (none of whom were correct) when I called three seperate times. On the third time the wrong person connected me to the person who handles the paperwork for the warranty information. The woman I am connected to tells me that I needed to get the warranty within 90 days ( ) of the repair. I inform her that the website says I have until the original warranty is expired to extend it. She looks at the website while on the phone with me, says that there should be an additional question "Was the service performed within 90 days", but agrees that according to the information on the site, I should be able to purchase the warranty. She says that her supervisors have always told her it is 90 days, so I ask to speak to her supervisor. She puts me on hold for about 10-15 mins, comes back and tells me that she spoke to her supervisor, who is investigating the wording of the website and will call me tomorrow.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-24-2003, 07:29 PM
No longer blue member

Thumbs up Update

They've decided that due to the error with their website they will allow me to buy the warranty. Funny, I had to fight to pay $400 for something that may screw me over in the long run Atleast I get 2yrs/38000miles more to enjoy the car to its full potential

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-22-2004, 10:50 PM
No longer blue member

Bump

Another update, since the last post I sent them a check, got a call from Kelly who I originally spoke too saying she would call me when all the paperwork was processed. They have cashed the check but I haven't gotten any call. I called last Wednesday and left a message on her voice mail telling her to call me, same on Monday. I'm planning to call again tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get to actually speak to her

01' MSM Lexus IS300