How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-27-2001, 09:45 AM
Ranmatchi

Talking SVX Rallycross pictures!

My friend Jeff (EveryShadeOfBlue), Lisa (another SVXer) , and I went to the Mastro Subaru 2001 Rallycross event at the European Rally School last weekend, and ran our cars on the course! I was one of the few in the 2WD stock course -- and after running it for the four heats, all I have to say is I MISS HAVING AWD!!!

It was a 1.5 mile, combination on/off road condition course with half being on asphalt (tarmac) and half being in sand and pebbles. We ran four heats, two starting at one end and two starting at the other. Most of the entries were newer 2.5RS's and WRX's, but Jeff and Lisa shook up the competition with their SVX's~!

As sorta the 'official photographer' for the SVX coalition, I got some great shots (some still need to be scanned into the computer). I also got some video as well.

Check out the attached picture, and more from the event in my personal locker.

--Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeff_rally.jpg (73.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 09-27-2001, 10:19 AM
oneothefewproud

Pics

Adam,

Thanx for sharing. Glad Jeff got his back together it time.

Ciao
Wayne
Old 09-27-2001, 02:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Adam,

Thanks for posting this thread. I really enjoyed the photoand am looking forward to more. So how did the SVXers do against the other Subies ?

Larry III
Old 09-27-2001, 04:32 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Nice pictures Adam. I wouldn't mind doing a bit of that myself, but do you think they'd mind brushing all the stones away first
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 09-27-2001, 08:59 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
There were 2 SVX's out at this event, myself and a lady (one of two females total) from Ocala, FL. We did pretty good considering we were novices. There were mostly WRX's we were up against and some 2.5 RS's and some other oddball cars (Talon AWD, Ford Focus ZTS, and someone even rented a Mustang!).

It was a fun track. Part of it was a dirt/gravel with about 4 or 5 hairpin turns. I went into the bushes once, but no damage. I got a good picture of leaf prints on my car that I will post when I have it scanned. The other half of the track was an old tarmac with a bit of gravel on it. Cones were set up there and it was a blast driving the SVX on that. I could leave the offroad stuff to the WRX's.

Lisa and I averaged about 15 seconds slower than most of the other, more experienced rally/auto crosser. My best time on the course was 2:29. I think the best of the day was 2:09. With about 20 cars in the AWD stock class, neither of us placed and won a trophy.

It was a blast. My car is damage free, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to run it offroad like that again. I'd hate to have slammed into a tire bank like some people did.

The oddest part of the day is how the other Subaru people (WRX and RS owners) seemed to have no interest in the SVX. I fielded no questions about the car. no weird stares or "What is that" looks. Either they didn't care or they knew all about the SVX already. When you bring the SVX around the Civic/Eclipse type crowd, you usually get gawks and stares, but not with these fellow Subie people.

Best of all is that this event was sponsored by my local Subaru dealer. They are great!

Jeff
Old 09-28-2001, 08:10 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
[i]
Either they didn't care or they knew all about the SVX already.
Jeff [/B]
Can it be they are all jealous? Would have bought an SVX if they knew about it? Don't care and don't want to ask because they know they would want one if they asked?

Ah come on! Remember the first time you saw an SVX? What did you think? I thought.... MAN! I am never going to be able to buy that car, too expensive. I really like this beautiful car. Then six years later I get one.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:27 PM
I look like Gordon

Hey, those black center caps look pretty cool. I was thinking about doing that on my pearl/black and now I just might.

Thanks for posting the pictures. Now I just need to get another SVX and take it racing
Actually, I will probably try it in my Impreza first; it is too slow to get me into too much trouble.
Old 09-30-2001, 11:57 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
Turbocharged shopping Trolleys

Maybe those WRX owners were just so awed and jealous of my car and the other SVX and looked at their "turbocharged shopping trolleys" (as SVXinstentialist calls WRX's) and saw how inadquite they really were. Nice thought!

Rufus... painting the center caps was reatively easy. I had them popped out when I had a tire rotation. I used some sandpaper to sand them, then applied 3 coats of primer. Then 3 coats of black paint. Used silver paint to paint the SUBARU part. Of course I am no artist and had to constantly cover up mistakes and going over the lines, but it looks pretty good. After all that I applied 2 coats of clearcoat. Popped them back in. Before I painted them they were all yellowing and it really bothered me. I'm very happy with how they look.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2001, 10:49 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Red face Cheese!?!

Running two at a time on the autocross portion? Not smart. What happens when the guy in front ends up facing the other direction?

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 10-01-2001, 09:38 AM
British Car Junky

Not 2 at a time

The pictures where you see two cars on the course are during the trial runs, a run through of the course at speeds of about 15mph. We were all alone when we were going for speed/time. The only thing I hit all day was some bushes!

Jeff
Old 10-01-2001, 12:38 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Hmmm. Okay. I guess you'd have to be real dumb to crash at 15 mph. (I think I did that once )

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>