SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
WGJ;
1) No problem there, IF the passages are large enough, etc, but most likely not a problem.
2) Depends on the installer's preference, but most are attached in front of everything else. ie AC condensor.
3) Since the in-rad cooler is exactly that, it's there to warm the ATF from cold, using the quickly warming coolant, BUT, subject to the influence of the same coolant when the engine is under heavy AC load at high temp, low-speed, etc. That's when it's seen as an asset.
4) "Effective" surface area comparison is a very good question and doubt you'll get good answer.
5) Will require a much more "expert" opinion than mine!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Hey Chris,
What is the latest on the Fab? Are we close to a test fitment? I would like to get mine soon after christmas if possible. Please let us know as soon as you do. Thanks

Tom
Old 12-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Test radiator ship date

Looks like the first radiator will be shipped from down under on January 12th. Should all go well, the rest will come in on a shipping container at the end of the month (January). Its not quite as fast as I hoped, but if I can wait a bit more for a quality part, I hope you all can as well.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 12-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Maniac modifier

wow so I am not goin to be able to see one of these for over a month?? This was not as i planned but I will also wait until it arrives. Looks like the Ebony will undergo surgey anyway so it all works out.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:40 PM

'Tis the season

Some of you are anxious to get yer cool (pun intended) new alum radiator out of necessity...but some of you, like me, are anxious because it's like a holiday gift...a technological improvement that has the benefit of making an enormous improvement in the performance and reliability of my SVX AND the peace of mind that comes with it! And apropos of the season the guy we have to thank is named Chris! So, while I realize many of you need yer radiator now...my experience has been getting anything of this sort of sophisticated custom work done in what is pretty small order in this timeframe is remarkable...particularly since the radiators are coming from Australia. Is there anything that can be done to expedite matters for those in dire need?
Have a safe holiday,
WGJ
Old 12-23-2004, 08:11 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
I am a frayed knot! No really, I am frayedcause I have not been able to driev my SVX since the end of October due to this problem. But, since I am not paying another $390 for a radiator that is only going to last 3-4 years, I am maintaining my content until it arrives.

No, there is nothing we can do. The fab shop is now closed for the holidays and will not be staffed again until the first week of January. When they get back, they will finish the test product and air ship it to the states for a trial fit. All we can do is wait and cross our fingers hoping for a first time go on the fit.

For those who are curious as to how patient I am; my SVX was my only form of transportation. I got a truck as well, but it ate its tranny (trying to mimic the cars fatory tranny eating abilities) and thusly I am and have been without wheels for some time. I do have a company truck to use for my job, but its frowned upon taking a security marke vehicle to the grocery store. Since my trucks tranny (and transfercase) is out and continues to be spread across a bench in bewildering mess and maze of parts, I think my SVX has a beter chance of being drivable first.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 12-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Peach

Rad Fab

Chris,

Can't speak for all...but the thought of an Aussie built rad. actually relieved me. The have great things down under...great people...good beer...pretty girls...and maybe the welding puddles will flow backwords, like the toilets. Chris...Sally and Arny have a 91 Loyale that got side-swipped but still drives good...I think theye'd take very little for it...their in Hawaii for a couple days but minutes from you when they get home if you like try Sally...we talked about it over thanksgiving. Anyway I can wait for a quality part...and i'm the most impatient there is...there.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:00 AM
Dibble

Unhappy My super 50k SVX

Absolutely immaculate, like new inside and out, 150 miles after collecting it, I can only get 3rd gear, anyone got a gearbox,!!!!!

and chris , I would like one of those Rads.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:14 PM

Transmission blues

Dibble, ould sod;
Sounds as though you may be a candidate for a manual trans conversion...check the various threads re: 5 and 6 speed replacements for the auto. Wish I had something more positive and beneificial to say. It's a pity Subaru didn't do a better job w/the engineering of the gearbox on the SVXs.
Good luck. At least w/the new alum rad you'll have addressed the biggest threat to transmission longevity...heat!
WGJ
Old 01-04-2005, 11:21 PM

Oil Cooler?

What does everybody think? Could we use the cooler in the radiator as an oil cooler?
Old 01-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Peach

Re: Oil Cooler?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hohopirates
What does everybody think? Could we use the cooler in the radiator as an oil cooler?
HoHo.
The use of the 5-pass for an engine oil cooler wouldn't change the engine oil temp much as it is already the same temp as the coolant in the rad, especially on hot summer days. The 5-pass is meant to enhance stock application. Those running remote tranny coolers may or not use it. But would come in handy in the Yukon or Siberia.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Maniac modifier

anyway, ho is the test fitment model comming? When will it be applied for fitment or are we still just sitting on it? well an update would be great.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:20 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Oil Cooler?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hohopirates
Usually, tubing used for ATF lines is too small of a diameter to be used for engine oil lines. If they use the larger engine oil line tubing, then it could be used. There's a rumor that engine oil runs very hot in the EG33 (someone with an EG33 in a Vanagon reported 200+ deg temps). If this is true for the SVX too, then using the cooler in the radiator would be worthwhile.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:11 PM

Alum rad as engine oil cooler

Mych,
Please go back to my question at the bottom of p.16 of this thread and review the respose at the top of p.17 and tell me what you think.
Thanx,
WGJ
Old 01-06-2005, 12:10 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
1) I agree with Glenn. Engine oil may be lower viscosity, but the flow rate is much higher. Best thing to do here is to call up the company making the radiator and ask them if the passageways are sufficiently large to flow engine oil.

2) What Glenn said. The other popular place is in the driverside from fender well.

3) What Glenn said. The radiator cooler will warm or cool depending on outside air temperature and engine oil or ATF temperature (whichever you are flowing through the radiator cooler). Assuming that this new aluminum cooler is super efficient, then it should hold the water temperature to around 170F. Figure that whatever is circulating in the radiator cooler will be at a temperature somewhere between 170F and the outside air temperature.

4) What Glenn said.

5) Both run at similiar pressures. Goes back to what I said in #1... call up the company to find out what size tubing they used for the ATF cooler in the radiator.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.