How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-22-2002, 05:52 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Exclamation Please help with tranny

I had a clicking start on my car on saturday night and within about 2 hours of driving stime or so it turned into a major thud at what seemed like every rotation of the wheel or so, it seemed to be primarily coming from the drivers side. Today I got the chance to jack one side of my car up at a time, I turned the wheels and each side rolled freely while the other side was still on the ground. I got under the car and looked and the shafts were turning fine all the way up to the transmission. That isn't normal is it? Neither made any noise when i was rolling them and gave no effort at all to turning them. I put it in first gear and it did the same thing, I turned the car on and put it in park, I turned the car, but not the engine on and put it in first. Nothing changed the results that I got. What do you think the problem is? please throw some theories out there and ask more questions and i'll try to answer the best i can.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:17 PM

maybe bad news

this describes very closely the symptoms of my front differential dying. Internally a part of the aluminum housing broke off and wedged between the ring and pinion. Since AL isn't compressible, the gears ground themselves up on the AL at the point where it was caught in the teeth. On inspection, the noise at each rotation is the point where the teeth were chewed. In my case I bought a new core and rebuilt. It might be possible to find a new differential housing and match it to the tranny. But it will require new ring & pinion and a tranny pull down anyway.

sorry if this happened to you, don't know what Subaru would say about the core charge (since part of the core is toast). If it happens to me again it's 5-speed time.

best of luck.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:33 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Just for the record it would be nice to know if your rear wheel drive is working. Would be possible to get all four wheels off the ground to check?

Any chance you could check to see what happens when both front wheels are off the ground?

Yes that does sound like there is a problem. With trans in park and one front wheel off the ground it should not move. It might be a stripped pinion

You are not alone as I think my front diff is on the way out. There is an awlful lot of open backlash in my front diff that gets bigger day by day.