SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Re: Newbie here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
A little surprised that the car would be sold in that condition by one of the top mechanics on this form.

I assume you informed him about the condition and how involved it would be $$$$$$$$$$ to get it running like it should be running and all the leaks properly taken care of before the sale???

Keith
ABSOLUTELY! It goes without saying that Huck told me every single little detail about it. I'll bet you dollars to donuts he told me that he hadn't done the t-belts yet too... I probably lost that detail. I had (still have) a ton of stuff from work occupying my attention these days and it keeps me from focusing on my car stuff. I used to be super attentive to almost nothing but my XT6 and the XT6 website, for example, but I'm practically a ghost on my own website nowadays.

Yep, I guarantee you Huck told me every single thing about the car - I just didn't listen well. I've counted Huck as a good friend for 10 years or more, and he's had all that time to know that I'm a bit of a scatterbrain.

Dave, thanks for the hint! The water pump and t-belts shouldn't be THAT much different from the ER27 engine, right? Is there a trick bolt like the tensioner bolt on the XT6, that I need to be aware of? I really need to search this site (or Google) for an exploded diagram of the EG33, or a section from the FSM.

SVX MY BABY, good to know about the cruise control! Like I said, I'm a huge fan of using it. Also thanks for the hint on the cabin air flow!

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Austin; 10-08-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling errors (I'm anal that way)
Old 10-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Austin,
The EG33 timing belt and water pump is much easier than the ER27, paint marks on the new belt line up to marks on the pulley, can't get it out of time
And only one belt!
The tensioner will require a vice to compress it, and a small Allen wrench stuck through the hole to hold it until you get the belt on.

(And I don't count myself as "One of the top Mechanics on the network" just a good shade tree mechanic, with good mechanical knowledge, and not afraid to try something new)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 AM

It just occurred to me this morning on my drive in, that maybe my odd little hiccup situation is being caused by a bad water pump bearing...

...hear me out...

...I'm thinking that since the water pump looks like it's going bad (although I haven't really traced the coolant leak yet), maybe if it has a bad bearing it hesitates momentarily as it spins. If that's the case, since it's driven by the T-belt, maybe it's really the culprit to my occasional timing hiccup.

So far I think I'm looking at ~$300 to get the car about where I need it to be:

$140 - water pump (could be had for less w/ reman and 1 yr warranty but...)
$ 80 - timing belt
$ 80 - resonator-ectomy
$300

The resonator can wait (begrudgingly) but the other two issues are urgent, so now I just need to find a good diagram of the EG33 front end. I'll search the site for that.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Austin; 10-12-2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
It just occurred to me this morning on my drive in, that maybe my odd little hiccup situation is being caused by a bad water pump bearing...

...hear me out...

...I'm thinking that since the water pump looks like it's going bad (although I haven't really traced the coolant leak yet), maybe if it has a bad bearing it hesitates momentarily as it spins. If that's the case, since it's driven by the T-belt, maybe it's really the culprit to my occasional timing hiccup.

So far I think I'm looking at ~$300 to get the car about where I need it to be:

$140 - water pump (could be had for less w/ reman and 1 yr warranty but...)
$ 80 - timing belt
$ 80 - resonator-ectomy
$300

The resonator can wait (begrudgingly) but the other two issues are urgent, so now I just need to find a good diagram of the EG33 front end. I'll search the site for that.
I'd recommend one of the timing belt kits off Ebay with all the pulleys if the budget can stand it...I had the water pump lock up on my first SVX, destroyed 2 of the t-belt pulleys when it went...and do the cam and crank seal while you're in there (only a few dollars) and I have had good luck out of the rebuilt water pumps, and would have no problem using them.

Call me if you have any questions(or email)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"