Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 AM

ecu stg 2?

ecutune sais i only need the sr20det (370cc) injectors for up to 500hp worth of boost, is this really correct? what boost levels would that be at?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: ecu stg 2?

If Mike says that I would accept his word. The man knows his fuel maps. The ccs seem low to me, but maybe this is using them at a high duty ratio when on full boost.

On our engines you will need about 22lbs boost, about 1.5 atmospheres, and an 80% efficient charge cooler to yield 500hp at the crank.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-13-2009, 03:49 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX

I have zero issues running 9lbs on my 60-1. I do not have dyno numbers, but it runs quite well and now that i have converted to blow through the throttle response is spot on. no holes in hte map that I can find. I run a RRFPR to boost FP for safety, and have a walbro high flow pump.

Do not forget you will need a Z32 mass air flow meter to along with the 370CC injectors to run stage 2v7.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:03 PM

hmm, im really looking for 500whp. if i run 22lbs will stock block hold that? ill have either eagle rods or ej22t rods and ej22t pistons installed (cheap route)
and if i get cams and good flow (intake,exhaust) 6sp or 5sp trans. can i achieve my goal?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:08 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisen_15 View Post
hmm, im really looking for 500whp. if i run 22lbs will stock block hold that? ill have either eagle rods or ej22t rods and ej22t pistons installed (cheap route)
and if i get cams and good flow (intake,exhaust) 6sp or 5sp trans. can i achieve my goal?

The short answer to your question is yes. But it's not that simple, it never is.

The stock block will hold the pressure but it is uncharted territory as regards whether the stock water pump and the stock water passages will cool the engine sufficiently. Racing SVXes have shown this to be a weak area.

To get 500 whp means you have to boost to 500 + 25% to get over transmission losses. This in turn means 22 lbs + 25% or so, which is nearly 30 lbs. For the most part this means you can forget about superchargers, it will be turbochargers only. This amount of intake pressure will need a good special intercooler, as Subaru ones can split at these pressures.

On the positive side, if you change to a 5 or 6 speed you can rev to beyond the 5400 rpm the 500 figure was calculated from. This will make your theoretical max hp figure easier to achieve, particularly with better breathing from the improved cams and valves you are talking about.

If you are actually going for a pressure charge rebuild, then be conservative and realistic about what your max hp can be, rather than what you would like it to be for bragging rights or whatever reason. It's OK to dream, but dreaming with money in your hand is a dangerous business. Better to be realistic about what you can achieve.

You mention above about the cheap route regards different pistons and rods. I respect what you mean, it's reasonable to plan work within budget.

Be very aware there is no 'cheap route' to 500 whp. It's just not happening.

Best of luck with it. Keep us posted on progress.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-14-2009, 10:43 AM

I think people on this site has said that you can't Run the EJ22T pistons. If this has changed since i last asked, let me know as that is the way i will go for my build.

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
The short answer to your question is yes. But it's not that simple, it never is.

The stock block will hold the pressure but it is uncharted territory as regards whether the stock water pump and the stock water passages will cool the engine sufficiently. Racing SVXes have shown this to be a weak area.

To get 500 whp means you have to boost to 500 + 25% to get over transmission losses. This in turn means 22 lbs + 25% or so, which is nearly 30 lbs. For the most part this means you can forget about superchargers, it will be turbochargers only. This amount of intake pressure will need a good special intercooler, as Subaru ones can split at these pressures.

On the positive side, if you change to a 5 or 6 speed you can rev to beyond the 5400 rpm the 500 figure was calculated from. This will make your theoretical max hp figure easier to achieve, particularly with better breathing from the improved cams and valves you are talking about.

If you are actually going for a pressure charge rebuild, then be conservative and realistic about what your max hp can be, rather than what you would like it to be for bragging rights or whatever reason. It's OK to dream, but dreaming with money in your hand is a dangerous business. Better to be realistic about what you can achieve.

You mention above about the cheap route regards different pistons and rods. I respect what you mean, it's reasonable to plan work within budget.

Be very aware there is no 'cheap route' to 500 whp. It's just not happening.

Best of luck with it. Keep us posted on progress.

Joe

well i looked at another thread about pricing for cams. i dont think i want to spend that much just for cams till after i have my turbo setup. (the cam money could go towards the stg 2 ect) i really want to port my heads but i dont have much experince in porting and i would hate to do it wrong and make the flow worse.

ill definatly keep you guys updated, i might make a turbo buid thread but im not sure yet, as of right now im tearing down the whole engine. and its not for an svx haha
Old 09-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_paynter View Post
I think people on this site has said that you can't Run the EJ22T pistons. If this has changed since i last asked, let me know as that is the way i will go for my build.
Nothing has changed.

Tom
Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 PM

tom, whats stopping ej22t pistons from working? too big? too small?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:41 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

no they fit. They just won't "work" well. Do some searching on the subject for the particulars

Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: