How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Registered SVX
vacuum leak somewhere ??

ive worked out the squealing noise i posted about a few weeks ago is its a vacuum leak from somewhere under the intake and throttle body on really cold mornings its quite loud and once it warms up it stops until i touch the throttle and under any amount of throttle i can hear it in between the block and the intake but while the car is not moving it doesn't squeal just sounds like air escaping or getting sucked in my dad and i tried to pull the intake off the top of the block to find it but couldn't get it completely off and failed to find the leaking hose .it doesnt affect the idle or while its driving just makes a really weird sound sorta like a constantly winding turbo and as i come to a stop i can hear it slow down and stop as the engine goes back to idle it sounds similar to a loose squealing belt but its not
any ideas what its coming from ?
im going to buy new vacumm hoses soon and replace them all as they are all hard n stiff should i buy new molded breather hoses or just use normal hose and cable tie it in place
Old 07-23-2009, 05:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Re: vacuum leak somewhere ??

I removed the intake manifold today and my goodness, are there lots of vacuum hoses Lots of them are brittle while others are still very pliable. Can we buy bulk metric hoses from somewhere or does Subaru sells them?

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 07-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
ive worked out the squealing noise i posted about a few weeks ago is its a vacuum leak from somewhere under the intake and throttle body on really cold mornings its quite loud and once it warms up it stops until i touch the throttle and under any amount of throttle i can hear it in between the block and the intake but while the car is not moving it doesn't squeal just sounds like air escaping or getting sucked in my dad and i tried to pull the intake off the top of the block to find it but couldn't get it completely off and failed to find the leaking hose .it doesnt affect the idle or while its driving just makes a really weird sound sorta like a constantly winding turbo and as i come to a stop i can hear it slow down and stop as the engine goes back to idle it sounds similar to a loose squealing belt but its not
any ideas what its coming from ?
im going to buy new vacumm hoses soon and replace them all as they are all hard n stiff should i buy new molded breather hoses or just use normal hose and cable tie it in place
Mine makes a similar sound when slightly revving the engine, which stops immediately after the engine returns to idle. Im not sure if its the same sound (sucking air kind of whistle), but mine has done it for a long time but its not a vacuum leak, ive gone over it meticulously.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Look at your IRIS check valve it's an inline valve between the PS pump and the alternator. Spray a little carb cleaner on it to see if it changes the idle. Do a search if you can't find it.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel