SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Tranny is out!

I have a feeling that someday I'll be hauling a broke tranny in the back of the tribeca down to florida and picking up a LAN tranny.

$999 is an awesome price.

I wish I hadn't given my core away years ago, or I'd probably have already picked up a LAN backup tranny and finally installed that nitrous kit that I'm scared to use.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Cruisin' in Gator Country
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

I just had a PM from Chelli saying this might be the '92 I sold last year. If so, it has a 4.44. Bought it with a bad front diff and made the conversion. I wonder how many miles were put on it?
Gene
1994 SVX LSi AWD 95K - Emerald Pearl (sold)
1992 SVX LS-L AWD 115K - Dark Teal 4.44 swap (sold)
Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Chances are that transmission is a worst case scenario loss. When the restrictive factory atf cooler in the radiator isn't bypassed and replaced with a high capacity aftermarket unit and the high clutch goes out the heat from the high clutch hardens the thrust bearing on the nose of the rear support until it crumbles. When this happens you loose all gears.

If the factory cooler had not been connected and an aftermarket cooler of sufficient capacity had been used the failing high clutch would not have caused hard parts damage and this transmission could have been given a partial rebuild and been upgraded to an impressive, high performance unit. This should be a lesson to others not to leave the oe cooler connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelli View Post
So my tranny went out... something broke while i was on the highway and i lost the high gear as the engine was reving at 5k at 80mph... . Thank goodness that i made it back home, but once i got back, car started grinding in the lowr gears.... and i left it parked. Next time i started the car... rev. is gone and makes a funny noise when i put it in rev. So, the tranny is gone! So sad. But anyway, what subie trannys are available... did some research and it seems 4.44 ratio tranny and diff would help and would be the best bet for an auto tranny replacement? Any other ideas? Anyone know roughly the prices for the tranny and diffs and how much labour is in a shop? Im a noob.. so school me if need to. Just don't be too harsh. Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Just some dude.

Chelli,

You may want to drain the fluid and possibly drop the pan. I expect you will find a bunch of bearing rollers and ground up steel in the pan. It won't be good news but at least you will know exactly what you are dealing with then.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Chances are that transmission is a worst case scenario loss. When the restrictive factory atf cooler in the radiator isn't bypassed and replaced with a high capacity aftermarket unit and the high clutch goes out the heat from the high clutch hardens the thrust bearing on the nose of the rear support until it crumbles. When this happens you loose all gears.

If the factory cooler had not been connected and an aftermarket cooler of sufficient capacity had been used the failing high clutch would not have caused hard parts damage and this transmission could have been given a partial rebuild and been upgraded to an impressive, high performance unit. This should be a lesson to others not to leave the oe cooler connected.
This scares me, since its been consistently in or near the 100's here. I have the stock cooler with the campaign filter setup. For the heat to kill the tranny, it has to be a longer freeway trip right? Id like to know how hot mine is getting, does anyone know the temp maximum for the AT?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Just some dude.

You should be scared with that set up.

I posted the oe warning light temp thresholds and overheat mode thresholds in the tcu thread. In my performance TCUs I lower the theshold to kick on both the warning light and overheat mode at 212 degrees F. I don't remember off hand the exact oe values but they were high, something like 230 and 240F. Too high to save the transmission. One of my performance TCUs is obviously a good step towards safe guarding your transmission from hard parts failure.

You should defenitely not be hooked up to your radiator's atf cooler. Make getting a good after market cooler your #1 priority for your car. While you are doing the swap put some compressed air to your oe cooler and you will see why you don't want to use it. Its like blowing through a kinked straw. Since you are somewhere hot like me you should be like me and not go half way. Get a nice plate and fin cooler and mount it in your fenderwell with it's own fan and thermostat. Use the battery for the main power to the relay to run the fan. Use a fuse tap on the AC fuse in the corner of the fuse box in the engine compartment for the power for the thermostat. That fuse only gets power when the key is on. Cut a rectangular hole in the bottom of the fender liner where it forms a scoop and another in the top of the fender liner to create an exit for the hot air. That set up in my car runs 176 degrees all day long no matter what the temps are outside or how hard i run the car..and my full throttle shifts are at 7800 rpms and you don't want to hear about miami daytime traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
This scares me, since its been consistently in or near the 100's here. I have the stock cooler with the campaign filter setup. For the heat to kill the tranny, it has to be a longer freeway trip right? Id like to know how hot mine is getting, does anyone know the temp maximum for the AT?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
For the heat to kill the tranny, it has to be a longer freeway trip right?
Freeway trips seem to be the best case for temperature. The torque converter is locked up and the tranny stays relatively cool in this state.

Stop and go driving or climbing hills with the TC unlocked is where you build tons of heat.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.