Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 06-18-2009, 05:26 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
To Build A Track Car...

I decided to take a spare (sunroofless) car I have sitting at work. and do my best to make it more track worthy, yet keep it street legal.

Skimming through the SVX gravel rally car thread I learned a lot and stumbled on some new questions. A list needs to be made to make this a more smooth experience ...here's my early brainstorm..

1. Remove interior - I really like the dry ice idea. All of that sound deadening stuff is out.
A. power seatbelts are out. any serious track car needs racing seats/ racing harness. The ones on the gravel car thread look great! but I didnt see any info on type of seat or installation how to.

B. airbag system. depending on state laws, it may not be a good idea to remove it. but think of all those wires and sensors..plus the stock steering wheel has to go

c. Climate control..after removing the a/c there really is no need for the fancy climate module...just install a knob for fan speed and a switch for heat? Im not sure how this would be done..

d. Extra modules and wiring...Is it really a good idea to drop ABS? I didnt get into it while i was at the track but im just a n00b! Im sure it will save 20+ pounds between wiring and soleniods..motor etc..

2. install roll cage. serves a few purposes. harness bolting points, structural rigidity, saftey..I saw pictures but not actual dimensions...I guess that will be left to the people installing it.

3. Weight reduction - its obviously been done..but how? I read about bumpers being "gutted" and hoods being cut into..manual tranny..glove box doors..a few obvious things..but wheres the secret stuff?

4. suspension - I have coil overs for it...not sure how to calculate the proper spring rate...obviously I want the car to be closer to a 50/50 weight split. how much of a difference will ride height make? The spring seats (upper mounts) are starting to crack. What is a good solid upper mount? Swaybars, Im guessing the after market is limited, we have the adjustable end links. any reliability issues with those? Bushings, have to do more research.

5. Drivetrain - not going to jump into anything super expensive yet...ultimatly the car will need to be supercharged to keep up with monster vettes. 6 spd for durability off the bat though. keeping it mainly stock other than that...for now.

6. Brakes - I havent really seen anything concrete yet on the brakes except for the willwood kit. I may be missing something. I have read stock brakes work wayyy better when the car is below the 3k pound threshold.

got a PWR radiator for it...has anyone toyed with creating an oil cooler out of the tranny cooler provisions on these things? where would a good place to tap into engine for oil cooling.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click

Last edited by SomethingElse; 06-20-2009 at 04:19 AM. Reason: constantly updating.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:42 AM

Registered SVX
Re: To Build A Track Car...

Eric old man.

I am only 80, but having done quite a bit of motor racing, I can assure you that at 96 years of age, you should have gained more sense. Forget it.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

Be careful with the seat belts. Most racing harnesses are not street legal.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 AM
word words wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Eric old man.

I am only 80, but having done quite a bit of motor racing, I can assure you that at 96 years of age, you should have gained more sense. Forget it.
sorry I cant forget it...the car i have is too rough of shape to be worth fixing and selling, I wouldnt break even on it...if i sell it on ebay it will surely be parted out..so this is the cars only chance to survive.

not being built for scca or nasa or any specific racing group ...just a track event car ..that will properly represent the SVX.

Thanks for trying to smash my hopes though...and im not really 96

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 06-23-2009, 04:42 AM

Registered SVX

I was planning of asking the same thing on here

Ive wanted to build some kind of odd ball subaru road legal track car and desided on using my spare JDM SVX.
Its tidy but its been played with too. so have desided to go down same route.

Ive partly pulled some crap out of it. all this audio wiring/TV ariels/gps cables came out. A massive pile.
It will be a long term project so not in a rush.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration

Last edited by subbieatnz; 06-23-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

You guys should probably look up some of the old VR-4 track cars before they were banned in America. I saw a long article on it's build that I printed out and filed away when I was still in high school. They had one in the JGTC series as well. It shares the similar obesity issues that the SVX does, with a lot of the weight being in the frame and subframe.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:15 AM
word words wording

Im STILL trying to wrap my brain around a sub 2600# SVX. How on earth is that possible? My 96 mazda MX6 weighed that much.

Not in a rush to get it done either....Ive got a year before going back to the track. The car is at work, so when things slow down here and there ill go pull some stuff out/stare at it...

Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
You guys should probably look up some of the old VR-4 track cars before they were banned in America. I saw a long article on it's build that I printed out and filed away when I was still in high school. They had one in the JGTC series as well. It shares the similar obesity issues that the SVX does, with a lot of the weight being in the frame and subframe.
Why where they banned?
Do you mean a GTO?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

VR-4 is the twin turbo Mitsu 3000GT. Mitsu GTO to the rest of the world. I assume thats the VR-4 he means and not the Galant VR-4.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:44 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Yea, I forgot there were international people here. The Mistubishi GTO. It was banned (as the Dodge Stealth RT/T) because it was boosted and AWD from factory, and dominated every race it was in up until the ban. It lead to the production of the Dodge Viper.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
Im STILL trying to wrap my brain around a sub 2600# SVX. How on earth is that possible? My 96 mazda MX6 weighed that much.

Not in a rush to get it done either....Ive got a year before going back to the track. The car is at work, so when things slow down here and there ill go pull some stuff out/stare at it...

Eric pm me for a better option then gutting another.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post

Ive been trying to look this stuff up but cant seem to find any thing so far?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

I'm headed in this direction as well with my '92. 147k miles and fully depreciated. It is now equipped/modified as follows:
-'02 WRX 5 speed with Exedy clutch and Kartboy short shifter
-Koni/GC suspension
-Recaro seats and harnesses
-gutted interior from B-pillar back
-removed rear spoiler
-removed rear wiper
-numerous wheel and tire combinations

I know, I know...don't gut it, it's a poor performance car candidate, it's a GT car...it's my car, it costs me virtualy nothing to own and I've got a ton of spare parts. I'll enjoy it as I prefer and have all the parts to re-assemble it when/if I need to. In the meantime I'll have some fun when I can with it

Future cheap speed modifications pending up-turn in the Detroit automotive sector whcih is what my business supports. That'll happen
Old 07-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Yes. It's heavy, but no heavier than a BMW 3 series. In fact, I have been able to run, from time to time, with unmodified E-36 M3's. They are 3500 lbs and 240 hp, not that much different from my SVX. Well set up, with stiff springs, good shocks and various mods to get rid of chassis and suspension slop, it handles reasonably well. There are some tricks to driving it on the track, to avoid power-on understeer, but with those in place, it's a very enjoyable track car. Now if only we could get rid of that pesky overheating problem . Stay tuned.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
Yes. It's heavy, but no heavier than a BMW 3 series. In fact, I have been able to run, from time to time, with unmodified E-36 M3's. They are 3500 lbs and 240 hp, not that much different from my SVX. Well set up, with stiff springs, good shocks and various mods to get rid of chassis and suspension slop, it handles reasonably well. There are some tricks to driving it on the track, to avoid power-on understeer, but with those in place, it's a very enjoyable track car. Now if only we could get rid of that pesky overheating problem . Stay tuned.
Can't wait to see the results of your project
2012 Camry V6 SE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: