Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 10-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Panoz Driving School

Havent posted much about my motorsports activities this summer, although there has been a lot. Perhaps the best was my 3-day visit to the Panoz Racing School at Road Atlanta. It was marvelous.

It is an official 3-day SCCA license qualifying school, with lots of track time driving their Panoz GT-RA cars. These are a 2500 lb., tube-frame couple with a 302 Ford V-8 making about 250 hp. Live rear axle, unassisted brakes with racing pads, and R-compound slicks. Very stable, mostly understeering (power oversteer is quite possible). Great stable car to learn in. A little difficult to get into, though, with very shallow doors and a full roll cage

We started off with some wet skidpad work, and an autocross. These cars are really fun in autocross. Power on and you get some very good but controllable rotation. I had a blast. Could do a week of that stuff.

The on to the track. We were soloing right away. They station instructors at every corner totake notes and to review with you after every track session. Road Atlanta is a big fast race course. Hit over 130 mph on the back striaght, then into a sharp 90 degree left-hander, up and over the hill and down through a sweeping curve onto the main straight.

Some good head to head (not wheel to wheel) driving.

One of the last activites is a really fun requirement for the SCCA school. We have to complete 3 successful starting exercises, where we come onto the main straight lined up by twos, they wave the green flag, and we tear off down the straight toward the first turn and battle for position through the turn. Amazingly no contact. First Start, I even picked up two positions through timely shifting, getting to the inside, and being insistent through the turn.

Great experience. Unfortunately, Panoz has been bought by Skip Barber, so the classes will now all be conducted in MX-5's or Formula Mazda's. No more big, loud V-8's. Oh well, progress.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 10-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I hate you! You're having waaaaay too much fun!!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill:

Wait till I post my pics from Watkins Glen, driving in the rain. That was really fun.

Dan

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

Old 10-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Awesome post - excellent write-up with some sweet pics!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
I hate you! You're having waaaaay too much fun!!
-Bill
I hate him too

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Network Design Administrator

Thats sweet...

Mind me asking the cost?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The 3 day course cost $3600 plus $100 per day for car insurance. The latter is highly recommended. One of my classmates put his car heavily into the tire wall, destroying the front fiberglass, mashing the radiator and tearing off a front wheel. It only cost him the $4,000 deductible, instead of about $20k to fix the car and repair the wall. Actually, they probably parted out the car, given that they will no longer be used at the new Skip Barber Road Atlanta Racing School. You can pick up one of the cars on eBay for about $18-20k.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
That looks like a blast. I will have to inquire to something of that nature, once i finish fixing my car up.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Panoz no longer has a school, having been purchased by Skip Barber. Barber runs schools using Spec Miatas and Formula Mazdas. No more big front engined V-8 school cars. There are some sschools that have Corvettes, but they may be "Driving Experineces", rather than "Racing School" I will be doing a Bertil Roos "Racing School" a VIR in June. It uses a Formula Ford + car. I heard it is a really good school. Lots of seat time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: