How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

My JDM Impreza Sti V type r coupe has an adjustable dial for front to rear, the forward setting is ONLY for snow, ice gravel etc, you can feel the front wheels binding even on the 1st setting. The JDM RA saloon has the same system.

I had an after market diff controller on my JDM Legacy B4 twin turbo that did a silmilar thing but that was more for RWD bias, they can also be fitted to 5speed triptronic gearbox with the steering wheel controls to change up and down.

I am actually looking at the option of fitting 1 into my SVX instead of a 6speed manual, I like the auto it suits the SVX but with the option of manually changing the gears its the best of both worlds. I know of 2 that have been done in Japan but neither of the guys speak any English so gaining info is time consuming through my agent out there!

Why not just get hold of a JDM or Euro gearbox and fit that?

Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:05 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
make sure there is no 12v signal to sol C and you have constant 50/50 AWD... As a victim of this for the past year(i've tried everything to fix it) I wouldn't suggest it

Tom
Exactly Tom,

It took my very obstinate concerted efforts to explain and prove this within an incorrect thread started and maintained by Harvey.

The point is that the C solenoid, is a normally closed device arranged to bleed off pressure as a means off pressure control when energised and opened. Opening the circuit as you say, will result in a constantly locked up drive to front and rear, but will NOT provide constantly VARIABLE 50/05 split.

Such a mode could be used, on a VERY temporary basis, to get out of a situation of being bogged in mud or snow, but would have to be used with intelligence and caution.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:27 AM
Phil & Belha

On non-USDM SVXes you can insert a fuse to lock the centre diff 50/50. I have tried driving my car with the fuse inserted and it binds up on turns and eventually, when the strain gets too much, one of the rear tyres slips. It really can't be a good thing to put so much strain on the transmission.

As for being able to manually lock the diff when driving on slippery stuff: If your transmission is working properly it should automatically lock the diff as required. Having said that, our Justy with 5MT, push-button 4WD and no centre diff handled far better than the SVX on snow.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 03-16-2007 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Tan interior=Sex

okay so if the SVXs stock slushbox binds in 50/50 mode, then thats out of the question i suppose

what transmission swaps are availible that would contain a proper manually adjustable torque split? one that works without binding, im interested in being able to atleast get 60% rear if possible

im interested because i like the car being consistent, especially as i was under the impression that the SVXs 4wd system could be kinda jerky at the limit, transitioning from under to oversteer almost randomly, if im wrong on that then no biggy, id love to hear that the 4wd system is brilliant, but its 90s technology, and the rest of the car is so good why would the engineers have even bothered
Old 03-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Exactly Tom,

Such a mode could be used, on a VERY temporary basis, to get out of a situation of being bogged in mud or snow, but would have to be used with intelligence and caution.
Nah, I just turn the music up and drive faster This is my teal we are talking about here

Tom
Old 03-17-2007, 10:10 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

The only option to manually adjust the diff is to get a JDM version 5 or 6 Sti type R manual transmission, ideally from a V limited that has the higher ratios. The RA saloon has the same adjustement but the Sti box is better.

Mine Sti type R is over 65% RWD as standard and you have full time 4wheel drive no matter what with no binding. As I said before there is very little reason to ever need to move the dial forward to lock the front wheels in unless you are on gravel or snow or extreme slippery conditions.

The transmission was designed for rallying in Grp N and the type R 2 door was built only for the JDM market for homologation with the FIA.

Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

Old 03-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Maniac modifier

yeah, I have a 65% rear bias in my SVX with a JDM close ratio 6spd. They want to know how to do it w/ an auto

Tom
Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya Tom,

I thought he was asking about manually adjusting the diff, either way the only manually way of adjusting front/rear is a type R/ Ra gearbox.

How do you find the 6speed? have you got the adjustable box as I understood it would not work with the SVX electronics?

I was thinking of goign down the sti 6speed route because I have access to as many boxes, diffs, donor cars etc as I could ever need.
I am more & more looking to go for the 5 speed tiptronic from the 2001 JDM B4legacy twin turbo & have the shift buttons on the steering wheel, now that i know of 2 in Japan that have been done and work perfectly it seems the ideal option.

Darren

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

Old 03-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Maniac modifier

I plan on installing an aftermarket controller for racing it but the auto function of the DCCD will never work. The newer 4eats are going to be insane to wire and will probobly exhaust your patience... If you do it, let me know because I am always looking for new options away from the phase I 4eat

tom