Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 AM

ECUTune 1v4 throwing codes?

I just installed an ECUTune 1v4 in my '95 LSi and it started throwing a CEL code 56, which indicates the EGR system (CA). It's not throwing any other codes. It didn't do this before the chip. I've looked over the EGR valve/solenoid and didn't see any vacuum lines off, or connectors not connected, and there's no change in car performance when the CEL comes on. Before I start yanking and replacing EGR components I thought I'd see if anyone else has run into this problem with their ECUtune chip. (A search of past posts was inconclusive).

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 02-21-2007, 12:27 PM

Have you cleared the code since you installed the chip? I seem to remember getting a check engine light when I installed the 1v4 in my last SVX, but resetting to code fixed the problem. I just wrote it off as the car reacting weird to the chip being swapped. I never pulled the code since it didn't come back.

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 PM

Yes, I've cleared the code a few times now and it keeps coming back.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 PM

Hrmm... being from PA, I don't know too much about the CA emissions stuff. You might want to try contacting Mike over @ ecutune about the issue. I had a problem with a CE light on my 1v5 and he got back to me right away with what was causing the problem. He posts on here as longassname. I suspect that the CA emissions is what's causing the glitch, because I had a 1v4 in my last car and didn't get any codes. Hopefully he can help you out.

Good luck!

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I'll move the thread to a place where Mike will be more likely to find it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
We've never had the problem of one of the newer cars throwing a cell because of running 92 software. The problem we had before with the egr trouble code was when we tried using the newer software on the 92 cars that don't have an egr temp sensor.

When I first made 1v5 I made it on the 94 basecode. That did cause a trouble code for the egr on 92's. Because of that I replaced those first ROMs with ROMs based on the 92 tsb basecode we've used on all the previous versions including your 1v4. If you want to get the newer basecode buy the upgrade ROMs (you should anyway, 1v5 is much faster and better than 1v4 in every way) and include a note that you have a 95 and want the late model basecode. I still have the ROMs I originally made ready to go and am happy to send a set of those to you.

I suspect your egr vavle is just carbon fouled. I've had that problem in the past myself.But who knows.....if you find the late model basecode fixes it I'd like to hear about it.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 PM

Looks like my CEL code issue was caused by a vacuum hose not connected to the EGR solenoid. I didn't see it at first since the solenoid is under the intake manifold. I'd like to say it was as easy to fix as it looked, but the old, brittle hose broke, and I had to fish it out and then insert and route a new one. What a pain!

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: