Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 02:50 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Thumbs up TWIN TURBO EG33, the Aussies did it

It seems the good Australians are more committed to our EG33 more than anybody else. We first saw Rigoli racing with that monstrous engine on Nasioc and then –JJ- posted about perFOURmance (www.pms.net.au). So I kept contact with the owner/builder there, his name is Robin, a very nice guy and started asking him about that engine he has. It seems a customer was interested in upgrading it but the project was stopped due to the lack of funds (the customer of course) more than 3 years ago and it is still on hold… So I inquired about the mods on that engine, here they are:

- SVX’s EG33 with twin garret turbos, estimated 600hp.
- Bore and stroke out to 3.7L but looking now at about 3.9L if the project would be resumed back.
- Timing = Unknown
- Bore = 100mm
- Stroke = 79mm
- Capacity= 3722cc

He also states that he has done some extra big bore WRX 4Cyl and upgrading the EJ22 to 2.8L and using some of that theory he can go bigger with the EG33. It can be resleeved so a bore of 103mm can be used 3750cc on a std crank. Stroke the crank to 79mm and 103mm bore = 3950cc. Billet crank = 4150cc
The only problem is to make sure that cometic can supply a head gasket

I asked him if it was possible to make a turbo kit for the SVX reading around 350hps at a good price. The kit includes rods, lower compression pistons, bearings, turbo installation, rings pins and locks... He gave me a reasonable quote for the internals, here are some details:

-Rods x6 (eagle) $675
-Lower compression forged pistons, rings x6 (CP) $1090
-Bearings $300
-Turbo $1350
-Exhaust & piping for fitting turbo $600 ???
-Intercooler ?????

It seems that he will be ordering some parts (CP & eagle) from the States, so some money can be saved here. We also need to either retune the ECU or use LAN’s 2V5 or a stand alone. And still other details are needed…

He also mentioned that this cost would go down if a minimum of 5 sets are ordered… And Some costs could be saved if ordered used

Now the big question about the heads, his reply was the following:

“The heads might be worth leaving alone except for maybe porting and polishing. Using the standard N/A cams should work alright as they have more overlap at TDC than a turbo cam which will result in more power especially when you are waiting for boost.”

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 02-21-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:54 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Continue

And here is the interesting part, I kept pushing him on and on until he revealed a currently running TWIN TURBO EG33 used on a buggy car a friend of him owns (chasis build, engine, even cast his own gearbox housings), the engine is stock internals with 2 x std wrx TD04 turbos. experimental. worked very well, now he is going to build the engine properly.

I asked him then about an N/A profile, his reply was:
“If you are not going to push it too hard or leave it non turbo then you can bore it out to 99.5 / 100 mm (EJ25 bore size) 3535cc std crank”

He is also claiming he is doing a project with a 1977 subaru wagon (the ugly one) 2.8 litre 600hp turbo, constant 4wd auto. Similar to the BRAT but bigger engine. this will be about 18 month process…

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 02-21-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:01 AM

nice! cancer
Old 02-21-2006, 06:39 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
I don't think dropping $5,000 plus $1,000,000 in labor (plus whatever for a manual swap) is worth turning our turds into somewhat faster turds. With 350hp we'd still only be pulling 13 second 1/4 mile times.. That's not very fast. The buggy is pretty wicked though.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
WTF??? Those headers are horrible. I think a 13 year old could have fabbed up a better system. I mean it is cool to see a tt EG33 but ack!!

Tom
Old 02-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
WTF??? Those headers are horrible. I think a 13 year old could have fabbed up a better system. I mean it is cool to see a tt EG33 but ack!!

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
the engine is stock internals with 2 x std wrx TD04 turbos. experimental. worked very well, now he is going to build the engine properly.
^^^ I hope this answers your comment ^^^

WAKE UP PEOPLE, THIS GUY DID AN ACHIEVEMENT WITH OUR ENGINE

Old 02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
oh, in that case I guess its not so bad. They look like they were thrown together with whatever pipe that they had laying around

Tom
Old 02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
^^^ I hope this answers your comment ^^^

WAKE UP PEOPLE, THIS GUY DID AN ACHIEVEMENT WITH OUR ENGINE
Dude, there have been other twin turbo builds in Australia... I can't remember the name at the moment (Think it is "Rigoli racing" or something like that)... They did a 700hp build apparently.... It can and does happen... But not for the average person that just doesn't have the money Yes, it is awesome to see it happen, however, I know that I will never have that kinda of monet to invest on my SVX.... I've already put around $11,000 into it and the thought of that almost makes me sick!!!! I could have paid for about 2 years of tuition at NCSU with that Damn... If only I could turn back time.................. I'd probably do it all over again .................................

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
As far as I have discussed with Robin the issue of "who was the first", he states that he started the project 5 years ago and stopped after a year and a half due to customer's financial problems. He had this car (the red WRX) on a show contest (in 2004) where all the Rigoli racing guys came and looked at it and what he did... after that they did that 700whp car...

Old 02-21-2006, 01:27 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
As far as I have discussed with Robin the issue of "who was the first", he states that he started the project 5 years ago and stopped after a year and a half due to customer's financial problems. He had this car (the red WRX) on a show contest (in 2004) where all the Rigoli racing guys came and looked at it and what he did... after that they did that 700whp car...
Hmmm, that's interesting... I guess ya do learn something new every day then

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Hmmm, that's interesting... I guess ya do learn something new every day then
You have to be consistent in your search... I am personally not interested in turboing my SVX, I just want a good N/A setup. This thread I posted here is for the forum

Old 02-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
that's pretty sick nasty..... I'm sure it could be done cheaper than that though. 1350 for the turbo? that seems a little pricey

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 02-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Remember: he is buying most of the parts from the States.. if someone over there is willing to modify his engine as such, he would be saving a loooot

Old 02-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Intresting stuff. This Robin guy seems to have a good grasp on the eg33 and how hard it can be pushed. Excelent find
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
I don't think dropping $5,000 plus $1,000,000 in labor (plus whatever for a manual swap) is worth turning our turds into somewhat faster turds. With 350hp we'd still only be pulling 13 second 1/4 mile times.. That's not very fast. The buggy is pretty wicked though.
Mid to low 13s is fast enough for alot of people tho. Including my self at least right now. If he fabbed up all th parts for a kit it souldent be to bad instalation and most people with some mechanicle inclination should be able to install it them selfs.