How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-11-2002, 02:55 PM
svxpete

2 questions from a Newbie re; climate control and power windows

Any help appreciated. I have the Haynes/Chilton service manual, and just got the owners manual,
but can't find what I need in either. 1)how
do I find that white jumper in the driver side kick panel (where the fuse box is) so I can change my temperature indicator to show Fahrenheit? I know the wiring has been played with under there, and it is now in Celsius. I looked around, but didn't see anything that looked like it needed or had a jumper. 2) My driver's power window controls work fine, controls all windows, and when locked, lock out all window controls except for the driver's. However, none of the other 3 window controls work at all. Does this sound like the PW switch itself, or is there some seperate control module? I wasn't clear on that. Don't want to buy anything I can't return, and would rather see if anyone has a wiring diagram for this that I could have a copy of, or other suggestions. Thank you.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:43 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Welcome to the club. I didn't know there was a chilton/haynes manual for the SVX. I looked for one but did not find it.

I do know there is a way to change the temperature reading to F. I think it was posted here. Try the search feature. It works well.

Windows...... How do you know the LOCK buttton works if none of the other windows work at all.......?
Old 03-12-2002, 10:43 AM
svxpete

svx_commuter; thanks for the reply. I have already probably read most of the forums and archives too. This is where I found mention of a white wire, with black jumper, which was in an entry for changing the CC to Celsius. However, I cannot find that wire. It said it is in the driver kick panel, where the small fusebox is, but I've looked around until I gave up. The driver's power window controls work on all the windows (of course when unlocked), and it does lock the controls as well (all but the driver's window, as it should). It's just the 3 individual controls don't do anything, whether the driver locks the controls or not.

Again, any help appreciated. Especially if someone has a wiring diagram or schematic. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:04 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
The power for the Drivers door control comes from a different circuit then the other three individual controls.

The drivers door circuit can blow a fuse and the individual window switches will still work and vice versa.

I beleive that is your problem. Check all the fuses under the dash and in the engine compartment because I can't remember which one it uses.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: 2 questions from a Newbie re; climate control and power windows

Quote:
Originally posted by svxpete
Any help appreciated. I have the Haynes/Chilton service manual, and just got the owners manual,
but can't find what I need in either. 1)how
do I find that white jumper in the driver side kick panel (where the fuse box is) so I can change my temperature indicator to show Fahrenheit? I know the wiring has been played with under there, and it is now in Celsius. I looked around, but didn't see anything that looked like it needed or had a jumper. 2) My driver's power window controls work fine, controls all windows, and when locked, lock out all window controls except for the driver's. However, none of the other 3 window controls work at all. Does this sound like the PW switch itself, or is there some seperate control module? I wasn't clear on that. Don't want to buy anything I can't return, and would rather see if anyone has a wiring diagram for this that I could have a copy of, or other suggestions. Thank you.
I just re-read this post. I don't fully understand it, but, it sounds like you're confusing the "Lock" button on the driver's switchbank as a "Lock" button for the door locks. The "Lock" button on the switchbank is to lock out control of all the windows except the driver's window (so, it seems to be doing what it's supposed to do, by your description). If you have a '92 or '93, there is no lock control for the door locks except the security fob, or a manual locking with the key. A door lock button appeared in the 94 model year and is located on the center console somewhere between the e-brake and shift levers.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-12-2002, 02:36 PM
svxpete

Randy,

No, i'm not confused, but I'm sorry if I am confusing you. Let me try again, as I think I do have an unusual problem; My '96 does
have the door lock switch on the shift console. That works fine. My driver door has the power window controls for all 4 windows and will open/close any/all when the lock isn't on. When it is on,
it only opens/closes the driver window. From what I've read, this
is working as designed (although it seems odd to me). Okay.
The real problem is none of the other 3 independent window controls work at all, ever. I thought they were locked out by the driver switch, but not having any wiring diagram/schematic, I haven't chased the wires around yet. I think Doug (mohrds) may have a lead, that it is a fuse, if the other 3 windows use a seperate circuit. This would be nice, and I'll check it tonight.
Will update afterward.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Randy,

No, i'm not confused, but I'm sorry if I am confusing you. Let me try again, as I think I do have an unusual problem; My '96 does
have the door lock switch on the shift console. That works fine. My driver door has the power window controls for all 4 windows and will open/close any/all when the lock isn't on. When it is on,
it only opens/closes the driver window. From what I've read, this
is working as designed (although it seems odd to me). Okay.
The real problem is none of the other 3 independent window controls work at all, ever. I thought they were locked out by the driver switch, but not having any wiring diagram/schematic, I haven't chased the wires around yet. I think Doug (mohrds) may have a lead, that it is a fuse, if the other 3 windows use a seperate circuit. This would be nice, and I'll check it tonight.
Will update afterward.
Sorry, I got you now. Yeah, if none of the others work, it'd almost have to be a fuse. Good luck. I look forward to a favorable report.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-12-2002, 05:02 PM
svxeno

Chilton Manual # 64302 covers all Suby's '85-'96. It has "fair" coverage of the SVX. Had to phone order it.

Randy (Uh...mmm...oh) ii
Old 03-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Lightbulb One more time

The best you'll find for info, next to spending a couple hundred on factory manuals, is at www.alldatadiy.com $19.95, sometimes on sale for $14.95. From what I've seen the info comes from the factory svc. manual, probably just not as in-depth. Chiltons/Haynes are pretty much bush league in comparison.

Beav
Old 03-13-2002, 10:42 AM
svxpete

Beav, that site looks like just what I need. The
Chilton book, indeed, lacks any wiring diagrams
I need, and the Subaru manuals are too expensive. The price may have gone up. It's $24.95 and $14.95
for additional cars. My SVX is my only drive. (until I finish chopping my '73 Triumph motorcycle.)
It was dark by the time I got out of work, so I
just took a quick look at my fuses. None are labelled in the owners manual for any power windows, and I am missing the under dash fuse box cover to see if it listed any, but the engine
compartment cover doesn't. Will check all the
fuses with ohm meter probably this weekend.
Thanks again to everyone who replied so far.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:04 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Beav, that site looks like just what I need. The
Chilton book, indeed, lacks any wiring diagrams
I need, and the Subaru manuals are too expensive. The price may have gone up. It's $24.95 and $14.95
for additional cars. My SVX is my only drive. (until I finish chopping my '73 Triumph motorcycle.)
It was dark by the time I got out of work, so I
just took a quick look at my fuses. None are labelled in the owners manual for any power windows, and I am missing the under dash fuse box cover to see if it listed any, but the engine
compartment cover doesn't. Will check all the
fuses with ohm meter probably this weekend.
Thanks again to everyone who replied so far.
The only listing in the owner's manual (page 10-6) for a power door lock fuse, is position 13 (15A -- Position 1 is upper left corner, count left to right). Fuse #13 is the sixth fuse in the second (middle) row of fuses in the driver's footwell fuse block.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-13-2002, 03:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
From the Subaru SVX FAQ:

For some strange reason, I would like my climate controls to read in Celcius. Can I do this?

This is like a stupid pet trick. But, you can do it, here’s how:

Remove the kick panel on the left side of the car. You may have to slide it up a bit to get it out of the door trim.

Locate a white electrical connector with a SINGLE black wire going into both sides.

Pull apart the white connector.

That's it. Put the panel back on, start the car, and turn on your aircon. The temperature is now in celcius!

I would guess that the previous owner did the above, removing the black wire entirely. Unfortunately, the FAQ does not tell you which connector it is if you want to undo this. What we need is another owner to take the kick panel off of their fahrenheit-reading SVX and find the connector for you.

If nobody has already done this for you by the weekend, I will try to remember. I have a lot of car work to do (in between the Malaysian GP practicing, qualifying and race).

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-13-2002, 03:55 PM
svxpete

Mr. Pockets, thank you for the reply. I guess i was wrong to look for a black wire/jumper in that area. (i shouldn't rely on my memory, and i didn't print the write up on converting to celsius).
I'll look around for a white connector hopefully before this
weekend.

Beav, I registerered at alldatadiy.com , but their electrical diagrams also have nothing on the power windows. Also
nothing on all the fuses. Lots of other nice stuff though.

Aredubjay, I'll check fuse #13 later too. I double checked
my owners manual, and for whatever reason the '96 one does
not show any for the power windows.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:01 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Beav, I registerered at alldatadiy.com , but their electrical diagrams also have nothing on the power windows. Also
nothing on all the fuses. Lots of other nice stuff though.

You'll get used to finding stuff after you've used it awhile. Go to 'Diagrams', 'Electrical Diagrams', 'Windows'.

Beav
Old 03-13-2002, 04:15 PM
svxpete

Beav, thanks for the quick reply. I guess things are working against me. That was exactly what I "tried" to look for, but
for my '96 it is NOT there. All the Electrical Diagrams I get are;
Air Bag Systems, Computer and Control Systems, Fuel Delivery and Air Induction, Shift Interlock, Steering, and Transmission Control Systems. You must be registered for a different year, model or whatever that gives you more. I already sent them
Email, asking if I was missing something in my search, but
haven't gotten a reply yet. Maybe you could tell me what vehicle type you are registered for, and I'll ask them why I'm missing
the window option (maybe others?)