Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 03:37 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Help! No turn signals!?!

I've got no turn signals. All four corners. No indicators on the dash either. No hazards either. I do have parking lights. All fuses good.

This seems like a contoller unit or relay or something. I've studied the wiring diagrams, but I can't find the darned unit.

We just finished a 5 speed swap, so lots of stuff was taken apart. The steering column was out (pretty sure we got the wiring back together), tranny (back up lights not yet wired), firewall wiring harness moved, TCU removed, etc. I just don't think any of this is related.

There is a small circuit board which plugs into the main wiring harness hanging loose above the driver's right knee. This circuit baord was broken in the swap. Related?? What the heck is that? (I assumed it was related to the security system).

Any help would be appreciated.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-11-2005, 03:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Unfortunately, now you know what happens when you just assume. The only security related items in the driver area is the security switch and the starter kill relay on the steering column. I don't recall ever seeing a bare circuit board under the dash. It almost sounds like you forgot to plug in a harness. Perhaps a picture will help?

KuoH

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter
There is a small circuit board which plugs into the main wiring harness hanging loose above the driver's right knee. This circuit baord was broken in the swap. Related?? What the heck is that? (I assumed it was related to the security system).
Old 06-11-2005, 04:06 PM

Can't send a picture- it's smashed and thrown away.

The circuit board is about 1" square. It has a large 3-wire "T" shaped plug on one end which plugs into the wiring harness. This is not a forgotten harness, it is the termination itself. It seems to hang loose directly from the bulkhead harness, no attachment to the column, body, etc. Both my '92's have had this. I'm not sure about the '95.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-11-2005, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Well looking at my photocopies of the factory service manual, wiring harness B76, which is a black T shaped 3 pole harness, is labeled "turn & hazard unit". Sounds kinda similar to what you just described. Why don't you just disconnect the same harness from one of your other SVXs and see what happens?

KuoH
Old 06-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I'm glad I didn't touch the steering column when we put in my 5 spd. Sounds like you have a little bit of a pickle there
Old 06-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter
Can't send a picture- it's smashed and thrown away.

How do you intend to get a new one?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:24 PM

Turns out it was the turn signal contol unit.

The circuit board I referred to was the guts of the unit. It is supposed to mount to the underside of the steering column.

The weird thing is both my '92's were apparantly smashed, and the circuit board guts still hung from the wiring harness. Even stranger was that both of them worked fine, until we smashed them a bit more.

I'd never seen a proper control unit. I always thought it was a little unusual to have this circuit board just hanging there!