Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-30-2001, 01:16 PM
Sanhi

Windscreen wipers go off the windscreen

Hi all,

Why is it when i drive appr. 100 mph that my windscreen wipers go off my windscreen and get stuck on my door? Anyone had this? I think something is loose but where can i access this wiper unit? anyone disassembled it before?

love to hear it,

Sander
Old 12-30-2001, 01:36 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Sander,
First problem is, someone probably took the cheap route and replaced the wiper blades with "Same Size" on both sides. Originally your passenger's side wiper should be shorter than your driver's. You can adjust the position of the blade though: Make sure the wipers are OFF and are not in the WINTER position (something else to check for, are they in the "winter" position?). Open the hood (boot, in some countries ) and remove the plug from the pivot point on the wiper arm. Remove the nut holding the arm onto the spindle. Pop off the arm and position it against the bumper on the cowling. Do this to both wipers. Note that the original wiper blades had a bumper on them that rested against the rubber bumper on the cowling. If yours do not have these, they will not rest flush against the bumpers on the cowling, but, that's okay. Once position, put the nut back on the spindle, and tighten -- then, replace the plugs, and you're good to go. My suggestion would also be to get OE length wiper blades. Mine used to lift up off the windshield at 60 MPH. Once I replaced with OE, I haven't had a problem since.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-31-2001, 06:52 AM
svxeno

Personal experience has shown me that some of the "spec" books for wiper length may have our car wrong. The book lists the lengths as follows: D-22, P-20, R-18.

I had to replace the P-side wiper arm as the one on the car when I purchased it was bent and twisted when I turned them on. So I know I have the correct length arm. However, a 20" blade catches inside the cowling above the hood. (From the scratches it's not the first time either) I replaced it w/a 19" and now it's fine. As for the rear I had to adjust where the wiper parks as it was getting caught under the trunk lid when closing it. (Cheaper to adjust the arm than to replace another good wiper blade)

As far as going off the widescreen, are they lifting off the glass or swinging off to the side?

Randy ii (Atempting to contribute)
Old 12-31-2001, 07:13 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
The 22, 20, 18 spec is correct (and work fine on my '92), but if 19 works better on your car, go with it!
Old 12-31-2001, 07:48 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<The 22, 20, 18 spec is correct (and work fine on my '92)>>

I've switched to a 19 on the passenger side as well.

As for blades, I use Bosch micro edge and have been very happy with them. But over the hoildays, we took the truck up to the in-laws, We parked it and I figured we were going to to move it to a different area after we unpacked so I didn't lift the arms off the windsheild. We ended up not moving it and the wipers froze to the car. I preheated it with the defroster to melt the ice before I turned them on, but they were ruined. I bought a set at a Sunoco gas station for $5 a peice ($7 cheaper than the Bosch). They were a generic blade with the Sunoco name on them so I didn't hold out much hope.

But to my surprise, this gas station blade works tons better than the expensive name brand wipers I have been buying for years!

No more name brand wipers for me...

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker