Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-16-2004, 08:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to starsh0t Send a message via Yahoo to starsh0t
I know SVX doesn't stand a chance against srt-4 in any gear.. thus from that the STI or EVO, I won't even consider comparing. But at the end of the day, I'd still pick my SVX over them all. Can't put a price on uniqueness. =]
Old 05-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Noir
i don't know about you guys, but every so often when it's nice out, driving to a certain song, having a certain bounce in the soles of my shoes, i feel like punching the gas and going fast. then i get a longing to head up to the mountains and drive up and down some curvy roads with the windows down and sunroof open. do i exceed the speed limit? probably. do i have fun? most definitely. people who street race may or may not have that feeling too, but i'm not going to rag on them, just tell them to be careful and be considerate.
Ahh looks like there are some men on this site. Makes me feel alot better to know that not everyone on this site thinks that "Car & Driver" and "Tom & Ray" really actually know anything about cars. (mentioned Tom & Ray because I really wonder if they are actually men...have you read/listened to them lately?)

Like I always say, you have one life...enjoy it. Better to die doing something you love than to die in some hospital bed on life support. If you live life scared of everything you will regret it.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Unstoppable

Yep, better to die by pasting a minivan full of kids.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 05-16-2004, 11:09 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
and in the last you have Landshark and Noir having a drink and laughing at all of ya's .
Harry,
You've proved me wrong. You've shown me that it dosn't matter your age, you can still be a tool.
phil
Old 05-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

Harry,
You've proved me wrong. You've shown me that it dosn't matter your age, you can still be a tool.
phil
thanks phil. 'tis a thing most wondrous to be flattered by one of your peers.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
Harry,
phil
someone a little cranky? :shrug: :\

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-17-2004, 07:39 AM

[B]quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i don't know about you guys, but every so often when it's nice out, driving to a certain song, having a certain bounce in the soles of my shoes, i feel like punching the gas and going fast. then i get a longing to head up to the mountains and drive up and down some curvy roads with the windows down and sunroof open. do i exceed the speed limit? probably. do i have fun? most definitely. people who street race may or may not have that feeling too, but i'm not going to rag on them, just tell them to be careful and be considerate.
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

Ahh looks like there are some men on this site. Makes me feel alot better to know that not everyone on this site thinks that "Car & Driver" and "Tom & Ray" really actually know anything about cars. (mentioned Tom & Ray because I really wonder if they are actually men...have you read/listened to them lately?)

Like I always say, you have one life...enjoy it. Better to die doing something you love than to die in some hospital bed on life support. If you live life scared of everything you will regret it.
I, too, second Harry's message. (And I don't have to head up to the mountains to have a little fun; I live in the mountains.) That said, can anyone explain to me exactly what driving a fast car (or a loud one, for that matter) has to do with defining one's manhood? I mean, if I needed something to make me feel virile, I'd be concerned. And I doubt I'd brag about such sad fact.

And another thing: Your right to die doing something you love ends where it meet's my family's right to safely navigate the same stretch of road.

dcb
Old 05-17-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
That said, can anyone explain to me exactly what driving a fast car (or a loud one, for that matter) has to do with defining one's manhood? I mean, if I needed something to make me feel virile, I'd be concerned. And I doubt I'd brag about such sad fact.
You know exactly what I mean...please don't bend it into something literal for the sake of an argument.

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
And another thing: Your right to die doing something you love ends where it meet's my family's right to safely navigate the same stretch of road.
But I already said that my racing is done where there are no other cars (if you don't remember, please go back and read my previous posts in this thread)...but here's another example...when my friends and/or I decide to race, or "test" a car...we go to Silvercrest road...this is a road that is literally in the middle of nowhere. It's perfectly flat, was just paved last summer...two full size lanes. Just under one mile long...we start at one end, just past the ONLY TWO houses on the entire road (the rest is bordered by cornfields), then we send a "scout car" to the other end to make sure no one is coming in that direction, they relay information to us through text messaging. Finally another vehicle goes to the 1/4mile mark (or further if said test deems necessary) and waits to judge outcome.

Like I said before...if you (as an "innocent" driver) witness a race, those participants are what i would consider "stupid street racers" (or insert whatever term you prefer)...the ones who value life and are considerate of others, you will never see.

I make no excuses for those seen weaving through traffic at 120mph...etc.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Unstoppable

You just dont get it, do you?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 05-17-2004, 12:31 PM

Well, I don't street race, but I do know people who do.

Because of that fact, I can't lump 'all street racers are bad and dumb' like Rob lumps 'Mac users are more intelligent than PC users'.

As stated before, I believe it all depends on the driver. The people I know who do race tend to exercise good judgement in weighing the factors and choosing places and times where traffic would be removed from the equation. They have been doing it for years and not once have they gotten into an accident nor the people they were racing. They typically meet at a designated spot, talk about the risks and agree to pull off if something looks questionable or dangerous. They typically choose rural spots.

I don't know about the areas where you all live in, but Atlanta is a crappy place to street race. We have traffic, lights, and cops everywhere. Other than the street light from street light racing (in which you really can't go over 35mph unless the roads are totally clear, which doesn't happen very often in Atlanta) so it's kinda hard to keep constantly driving unless on the highway.

I'm more concerned about reckless drivers, intoxicated drivers, police cars (yup had a friend that worked at a body shop the serviced police cruisers), soccer mom's who are on the phone while carting their kids around, heck most people who are on the phone while driving, people who speed over 15 miles an hour, tailgaters, drivers who think they can drive 80 miles an hour on wet roads, drivers that don't turn on the lights at night, drivers that eat while driving, drivers that read while driving, drivers that put on make up while driving, and street racers that have poor judgement.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
I think you two don't get each other!
Old 05-18-2004, 06:48 PM
tuzem

Because of these morons, eventually motorcycling will be outlawed completely, not to mention the number of lives that have been lost and the money that has been blown on insurance premiums inflated by motorcycle deaths."

I don't see what motorcycles have to do with your car insurance.... If I wipe out on my bike, chances are I'll be the one scraped off the asphalt -- not the kids in a mini-van. In WA state there is not even a liability insurance requirement for that matter. You can hardly do any damage on a bike. Usually the biker and his machine take the hit.

I pay a $2000 annual insurance premium for my Triumph and that's because the chance of Progressive replacing my bike are high. I'm a risk factor for MYSELF AND MY MACHINE. On the other hand, I pay $66/mo liability for my SVX because a 3600lb car moving at 100mph will split a mini-van i half! Think of your physics: F = m*a

Besides... Progressive Motorcycle Insurance and their Car operation are separate branches....

-Nick

Last edited by tuzem; 05-18-2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I'm wearing pants.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I think you two don't get each other!
Asked and answered.

I am the type of guy who lives to live. I don't waste my time worrying all the time...i'm not saying that's the way you should live...it's just the way I choose to live. Because of that, I do make some bad decisions...but overall, when I look back on my life (whether that's tomorrow or 60 years from now) I know I will be able to say that I lived.

If you choose to live very conservatively, that's your choice...but understand not everyone has to live your way.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that I don't value my life or the life of my loved ones...i've already made it clear, I think, that we're on the same side when it comes to "typical street racers".

Quote:
As stated before, I believe it all depends on the driver. The people I know who do race tend to exercise good judgement in weighing the factors and choosing places and times where traffic would be removed from the equation. They have been doing it for years and not once have they gotten into an accident nor the people they were racing. They typically meet at a designated spot, talk about the risks and agree to pull off if something looks questionable or dangerous. They typically choose rural spots.
Well you just saved me alot of typing. No sense in posting my opinion when it's already been done.

Quote:
Originally posted by tuzem
I don't see what motorcycles have to do with your car insurance....

Besides... Progressive Motorcycle Insurance and their Car operation are separate branches....
Doesn't matter the type of insurance...companies need to cover their costs. It's a very basic economical equation that needs to balance. Therefore motorcyclists have an effect on NOT ONLY car insurance but just about every type of insurance there is. It's not even limited to within the company. If a whole bunch of State Farm's insured bikers kill themselves in a mass street race, not only will State Farm's Motorcycle, Car, and Home insurance rates be affected, but so will Allstate's, Erie's, Progressive's, and yes, even the Gecko.

It works the other way too, so street racers have an effect on biker's insurance...it's just that the ratio of biker to street racer deaths is still at something like 20:1 (not to say that won't change).

Yeah my girlfriend's sister works for State Farm. I just happen to listen when people I know talk about work, that's how I learn these things...no really...it's true.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:25 PM

shadow, i guess you aren't as bad as they say

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: