How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2004, 03:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
Yeah I think the only reason I'm in school is for that piece of paper. Although I must admit I have learned something along the way.

Mechanical engineering is hard....they're all hard (except for those civil engineers (no offense to anyone on here but i've seen the assignments they get)).

The way I see it, I'm hoping I'll be able to come out of school making at least $45k a year and only go up from there. I'd like to own my own business some day or be someone important at a big car audio company ........who knows

If I could do it again, I might have done Automotive Engineering. I think I'd find a lot more classes interesting .......cuz right now I have 1 class that I actually enjoy - digital signal processing.

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 05-05-2004, 03:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I think it depends on whether you measure ambition by salary goals. I know plenty of people who want to make over $100k but haven't a clue how they would achieve it. I don't think that makes them any more ambitious than Chris who wants $75k, but seems to have some sort of plan.

I don't make $75k a year yet, but I do have a job that's difficult to get and very rewarding. It took plently of ambition (amongst other things) to get it.

I think the only way to get the money is to focus on things besides the money.
Spot on.

Aim to be happy, aim for what you want to do. If the money comes, it will be all the sweeter.

If you chase the ca$h, you may never get it and will spend the rest of your days bitter and twisted driving a Neon.

When I was at school, we were asked for our ambitions, some wanted to be professional footballers, GP drivers etc. I said that I wanted to have a £1million mortgage. the teacher never understood that to have a morgage of that size, the income has to be suitable. I now realise that I was a little pessimistic so I am now aiming for a £1million tax bill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 05-05-2004, 04:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen

Mechanical engineering is hard....they're all hard (except for those civil engineers (no offense to anyone on here but i've seen the assignments they get)).

Thats the way I see it too. One of my profs says that while civil is nessessary and important, there aren't any real cutting edge or breakthroughs on the horizon. Basically, you've got concrete and steel. Industrials seem to be interesting, but a lot of that is done for you as well. Mechanical is where it's at. But, from there, you can really go anyway.

I met a retired mechanical that worked on the Apollo program and helped design the skin for the lunar lander. On the side and in his free time, he taught high school math when the school needed a sub. Very cool indeed.

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 05-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Spot on.

Aim to be happy, aim for what you want to do. If the money comes, it will be all the sweeter.

If you chase the ca$h, you may never get it and will spend the rest of your days bitter and twisted driving a Neon.

When I was at school, we were asked for our ambitions, some wanted to be professional footballers, GP drivers etc. I said that I wanted to have a £1million mortgage. the teacher never understood that to have a morgage of that size, the income has to be suitable. I now realise that I was a little pessimistic so I am now aiming for a £1million tax bill.
hurray Andy! I always knew you were cool . Baffling the teachers was always fun .

Aim high or get high

it's the only way to go...
Old 05-05-2004, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Give me half a chance and I'll convince you otherwise.
I don't want to grow up, I'm a toys r us kid.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Nice call Harry!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...3F%3F/1534.wav

Old 05-05-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Good luck obtaining that $75K/year job right out of school Chris. I think it'll probably take you a few years after graduation to get there.

Todd
my friends make that much and they don't even have a degree.....took them 5-6 years to get to that pay scale at the age of 26 or so, but I guess it's worth it....at 28 some were making $80k and at ripe 30 one of those wankers is making a little over $100k...all this from trailer trash background. go figure..

andy had the right idea....aiming high is what matters, oh and by the way just aiming does poop, you must also take action.