Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-08-2001, 10:15 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Anybody with new paint...please read...

I know some of you guys have had your machines repainted. I would like to get an idea of how much it is going to cost us to get ours repainted. Also, if anyone has had experience with getting their's repainted...should i go with the two-tone black and Claret? Or just all Claret? I would think it would cost alot more to get the black done too, so i figured it would be better for us to do a one color deal. Just looking for some figures here. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:25 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
A paint job that's not going to flake off in a few years will be a minimum of $3,000. A good one will be $4,000-$8,000

Paint, hardener and clearcoat starts at around $1,500 just for the cans of goo. Up to around $3000 for the good stuff. Add in about 20 hours of hand wet-sanding at $40-60 per hour. Factor in about 4 hours of masking and prep, 10 hrs if they take off the door handles, lights, wiper nozzles, exhaust tips, etc.. Then about 8 hours of spray time. You want the painter to be dedicated to painting. He shouldn't go sand bondo on another car in between coats on yours for obvious reasons, so plan to pay for him to sit on his but in the clean room.

If they don't wet sand the car thoroughly, the paint will not stick for long. The Subie OEM clearcoat is going to by design repel foreign materials, the wet sanding creates a microscopic war zone for the new paint to wrap around each nook and cranny and really hold tight against stones and sun stretching. Any claims of miracle "bonding agents" is a technology created and promoted by the insurance industry to keep costs down but provides a short lived life. If it holds for 2 years, its good enough for them.

My point? Don't do it if you aren't going to do it all the way. You'll end up kicking yourself in the pants later because it'll have to stripped next time to do it again.

Just my $.02

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker