How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-24-2001, 05:53 PM
BadDog

Question Check Engine code: Misfire

I am wondering if anyone else's SVX has had the Check Engine light some on and the computer store a misfire code... didn't even say which cylinder, according to the dealer $50 down the drain
Maybe it's time to replace the spark plugs?
Old 09-26-2001, 09:29 AM
BadDog

Question

Nobody? OK, can anyone thing of a reason for misfire besides a bad/fouled/old spark plug? Has anyone ever had one of the ignition coils go bad? They seem to be pretty reliable...
This problem (hesitation w/ or w/out check engine light at certain rpm) only happens when the car is cold (sits overnight or for more than a couple of hours)...
Old 09-30-2001, 11:05 AM
BadDog

Well, I guess I'll post follow-up here for posterity's sake :S
I put in new plugs yesterday (5 hours of cursing the engineers who crammed stuff in there so tight!) and noticed a small imporvement in the hesitation, but it's not gone. I guess I'll see what happens at highways speeds on my way home from work Monday. *Every single rubber boot* for the coil pack stayed stuck to the spark, and I had to spend 10-20 minutes on each one trying to yank it out with a pair of needle-nosed plyers. It was nearly impossible to do on the 2 rear driver's side plugs, but I got them off. Also, the front passenger side coil was broken! I don't think I did it, either! I was going to super-glue it, but then realized I would have flammable glue on a very hot, electrified component LOL not one of my brightest moments! So I electrical-taped it together to keep moisture etc. out. If I'm *not* the one who broke it, I wonder if that could be the cause of my cold hesitation....
Old 10-01-2001, 05:38 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by BadDog
*Every single rubber boot* for the coil pack stayed stuck to the spark, and I had to spend 10-20 minutes on each one trying to yank it out with a pair of needle-nosed plyers.
I remember pulling the coil off the plug next to the battery for a trial run on coil pulling. It was hard to get the rubber boot to come off the plug. Same thing you said. Someone suggested using a nail puller under the bolt of the coil and levering against the intake manifold. I used this when I changed my plugs and it worked well.

The broken coil should be replaced. I have no experience with a broken coil but I hear it is bad news. You may want to try WORLD auto parts & dismantling. 888-782-8781. Did it look as though someone tried to pry the coil from the side? The material of the coil is very brittle. Another product called JB weld may work to hold it together.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:43 AM
BadDog

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info
Old 10-08-2001, 11:04 AM

Registered SVX
coil

Did you notice that each coil has a different number printed on the boot? If you replace the broken one (my 2 cents, replace it) be certain you get the same numbers. I think it is about the length of the wires from the coil to the connecter. Good luck.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:02 AM
BadDog

Thanks! I'll replace it eventually, but my first priority is getting rid of that shudder. I'm really starting to think it's my torque converter. When driving to work yesterday, about 20 miles into my trip (i.e. warm-up no longer an issue) I gave 'er some throttle to get up to highway speed and then pass a car or two. Well wouldn't you know it, when overdrive kicks in (i.e. when the torque converter should "lock up") the car starts shuddering, although not as badly as when it's cold.
I told my dealer's service dept. about this, and they agreed that if the torque converter or tranny is shaking the car that bad, that it could cause the engine to misfire. They're going to look at it next week....