How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-03-2003, 10:26 AM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
Waiting to hear if the maf sensor replacement works. I did run across your post from before but realized it had sort of died so i restarted it with some different words. lol guess it worked.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:47 AM
92Blacknessvx

Hi, Im new, but i have the SAME problems in my SVX, I think I put around $700 into trying to fix it with NOTHING to show for it.

DONT SWITCH YOU MAF SENSOR OR YOUR OXYGEN SENSOR OR YOUR SPARK PLUGS, UNLESS THEY NEED REPLACEMENT FOR SURE. I SWITCHED OUT ALL THREE AND AM STILL HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!!!

If the same is happening to anyone else, which is this.....

when your driving, a loud whistle from the engine comes on. I go check the vacuum lines, and there are leaks ALL over the place. Im about to have ALL of them tightened to the max, and ill let you all know what happens.....
Old 11-03-2003, 10:10 PM
deadeye95

My high pitched whistle was cured when I replaced what looks like EGR tubing back into clamps on the driver's side near the middle/rear of the engine. Guess the Subaru engineers clamped them for dampening. If your problem is the same as mine you'll recognize the tubing out of it's clamps immediately.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:44 AM
6evil9

Unhappy

so r we making "rough idle on svx club"??

ok guys, look. we all got similar problems but they are kinda different. for me i dont have rough idle in the morning when car is cold
3-5 mins and im there shaking in the car. when i accelerate it goes like slower faster.. weird, unpleasant

ok i ve checked tps- it was working bad, i cleaned it checked good put back, same

i drove without MAF- same
cleaned that checked that
new sparks.... (problem started after i changed em)
now im replacing ALL vacum hoses, PCV hose, and pcv itself, gonna remove manifold check it, clean it, change vacum hose under it.

so far i have not changed anything wortheble. i had oxygen sensor code before after i had PS liquid all over it, then it gone.

well if our problem depends if car is cold or hot, then i guess its not fuel pump or pressure regulator or maf or oxygen sensor

in my case it can be vacuum hoses, getting warm spread, leak somewhere.

anyone know anything about vacuum hose under the manifold?
can it be the problem?
[quote]
My high pitched whistle was cured when I replaced what looks like EGR tubing back into clamps on the driver's side near the middle/rear of the engine. Guess the Subaru engineers clamped them for dampening. If your problem is the same as mine you'll recognize the tubing out of it's clamps immediately
[quote]

what was ur problem man? symptoms? or it was not rough iddle

anyways. thx for telling what u guys done and nothing changed.
at least others wont waste time and money, and can start from something else.

anyways advise u to check all vacuum tubing, change fuel filters if they are old, run injector cleaner. maybe clean TPS and throttle body

all these does not require much money but definitly good to do.
i have vacuum diagram but unfortunately it does not say what things do and what happens if vacuum tubes got cracks

anyways maybe we should open thread "coughing SVX only?" so we all can communicate there?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:20 AM
92Blacknessvx

My problem is solved!!!!!

Hey...i had ALLLLLL of these symptoms, but guess what......i bought the car 2 months ago from some fumb teenager that didnt know what he was doing. Turns out that all the whistling was coming fron the intake manifold...i checked it only to see that nthe bolts were loose as hell.....i could of unscrewed them with my fingers!!!! all the air was leaking from the loose intake manifold!! so i tightened it up all the way and now my car is PERFECT!!!!! nothing is wrong with it now!!!! EVERYONE CHECK TO SEE IF IT IS ON THERE TIGHT...YOU MIGHT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! GOOD LUCK GUYS!!! IM SO HAPPPYYYYYYY
Old 11-04-2003, 06:10 PM
6evil9

lols

geez, no offence man, but u look like happy little kid... hehe

see, problem is that things are way more complicated with SVX then just lose bolts... but yes its good idea to spend couple of hours every half year and check all bolts u can find... transmition oil tank bolts and engine oil tank bolts tend to get lose...and oil leaks there...

but anyways anyone with good knowledge here who can help us?

pls
Old 11-04-2003, 06:33 PM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
ok i think that in general the problem is the same as far as time because mine doenst do it time i crank it, it is after i have driven a minute or two, i think that is what everybody has said. So the problem is the exact same. Dont know anything abou this whistling though, never had that problem.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:12 AM
6evil9

oh ok i just thought u guys have problems when car is cold...

anyways have u checked all ur vacuum hoses? are they flexible and look new? i ve changed 1 so far, to regulator, things became bit better

got few other which went bad

im just trying to find what we all have in common, coz i doubt it ll be fuel pump as they dont break that often and problem is common.

anyways i did the other thing today: there is a screw which controls the idle opening of throttle batterflies. unscrewed that abit and opened the batterflies abit...seems like things became abit better
still tasting...

rmps are same, but when it drops rpms on idle, it does not shake that bad now, just abit
Old 11-05-2003, 06:12 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Rough Idle

Hey, Good to see I'm not the only one suffering from this rough idle and running problem
I've cleaned injectors, pulled plugs (which were OK, but I cleaned them anyway), chased inlet leaks, replaced my fuel filter, replaced a coil pack!, sprayed all the connections with electrical cleaner and revved the hell out it in frustration
Trust me this only makes it worse
I've had all the problems mentioned above, but I have an extra twist.
Sometimes when it gets real rough and if I happen to be trying to park at the time the load from the power steer and changing gears, all gets too much for it and it quits, followed by assorted clicks and whirs from under the bonnet as it tried to keep going.
When I re-start it, it runs OK!!
This can last for the next two or three drive sessions, or ten minutes!
I've had numerous mechanic type friends look at it, and the feeling is getting to be that the problem is in the TPS, this leads to bad idle, various cruising and accelerating problems that lead to awkward gear changes, no engine breaking, 'thumping' gear changes and a whole lot of aggro!
I'm going to try to internally clean my TPS while looking for a replacement, for the genuine article here in Aussie, the dealers want $424.77
SubaruParts.com only want $220.10 (Aussie Dollars) which is still pretty steep so I'm looking into more 'common' car alternatives, any ideas out there
Thought I saw something about a fuel injected Toyota light truck?
Hey Paddlez, what can you find in the wrecking yards over there in Japan?
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 11-05-2003, 06:58 PM
6evil9

ok now i put some stuff in my locker:

vacuum diagram for SVX (ur rough idle can be caused by 1 of those hoses having a crack)

plus i put lotsa stuff for trouble shooting
checking sensors and all that
its all the subaru manuals which someone gave the link few months ago, but i dunno if it is still on the web.

anyways i put some stuff for troubleshooting in my locker

so:
vacuum diagram:

relevent trouble shooting:

refere to a diagram, it has a rough idle and stalling as trouble, and suggestions for troubleshooting
unfortunately i could not find "ECU power"
anywyas have a look and have fun troubleshooting

+ some more in my locker

hope its gonna help u guys somehow. just i dont have time now reading all that and trying to c whats wrong, i got exams in uni.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:07 PM
nextcubepro

A friends SVX had a simiar issue. This was so simple:

- Restore 6 cylinder engine oil treatment to improve compression (change oil in 1500 miles, use restore with 10W-30, then go to 10W-40 after for a smooth transition)

- Restore Fuel System cleaner and octane booster (use with octane closest to 91, not garbage quality gas)

Lots of rough running until gas was out of tank. Next Citgo 93 octane fill up: smooth as a new Lexus.

Now every oil change, I use the Restore Fuel System cleaner because of her results. Can't hurt.

Once, I even tried this Oxygen Sensor cleaner when I got my SVX, just for preventitive maintainance. Didn't do anything, but still makes me feel better knowing my oxygen sensors are maybe a little bit cleaner. Be careful not to wait to put it in the gas tank. I did, and in about a minute the bottle was noticably lighter than when I put it down. After I put it in, it took only a few seconds before the bottle was dry as a whistle.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:15 PM
nextcubepro

Not saying this will solve all your problems, but it definitely should solve some.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Not to tell everyone that I have THE SOLUTION, and I've never had the problem as described by all of you with my SVX, but DID have the identical symptoms with my '88 Voyager van a few months ago. I took the cheap route first, & thoroughly cleaned out the throttle body "butterfly" area with plain old carburator cleaner spray. It was REALLY dirty. I sprayed the intake generously while running the engine & goosing the throttle. I also poured Techron cleaner in the gas tank. After this ten dollar tune-up, I took her out & drove her hard for a few miles.
Since then the old 170K plus van runs like new.
Who knows? - it's worth a try.

Ron (Mopar master mechanic).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:15 AM
6evil9

ok i had injector cleaner (twice) i had oil changed, i had that oil flush of course, im running 20th tank of fuel, i cleaned throttle body and it was not dirty AT ALL, i cleaned TPS (it did not work properly), but does now. nothing helped

all my problems started when i changed sparks... all of them, before that SVX was perfect even with its 270,000kms
well seems like i overestimated myself and went under the bonnet when i should not ...
anyways too late too bad

are u guys advising some special oil flushs and incjector cleaners?

maybe mine were not good?.. i dunno.... also seems like i ve done my tune up and it did not help..

also the only thing which helped abit, is that i played with that idle screw (butterflies are opened abit on iddle now) and car goes better then it did before, smoother but it ofcourse did not solve the whole problem, but smoothed it so things aint that bad for me now...

gonna disconnect battery for 20 mins tomorrow to reset the memory of computer.

anyways keep each other informing of the actions, might help, eventually to solve the problem
Old 11-06-2003, 07:05 AM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by 6evil9
ok i had injector cleaner (twice) i had oil changed, i had that oil flush of course, im running 20th tank of fuel, i cleaned throttle body and it was not dirty AT ALL, i cleaned TPS (it did not work properly), but does now. nothing helped

all my problems started when i changed sparks... all of them, before that SVX was perfect even with its 270,000kms
well seems like i overestimated myself and went under the bonnet when i should not ...
anyways too late too bad

are u guys advising some special oil flushs and incjector cleaners?

maybe mine were not good?.. i dunno.... also seems like i ve done my tune up and it did not help..

also the only thing which helped abit, is that i played with that idle screw (butterflies are opened abit on iddle now) and car goes better then it did before, smoother but it ofcourse did not solve the whole problem, but smoothed it so things aint that bad for me now...

gonna disconnect battery for 20 mins tomorrow to reset the memory of computer.

anyways keep each other informing of the actions, might help, eventually to solve the problem
i *think* theres a diff between fuel injector and fuel system cleaners. is that true?